Jump to content

mikem91

Bones Black Questions

Recommended Posts

I'm behind on the weekly videos.  Has Reaper commented at all on the Bones Black models' pricing?  The owl bear is listed at eight dollars a pop, which seems comparable to last year's limited edition figures but twice that of the regular Bones price point.  I'm wondering what we should  expect for the new models once they start appearing in the regular catalog.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They expect the BB minis to run anywhere from .50 to a dollar more than regular Bones.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dr_Automaton said:

I'm behind on the weekly videos.  Has Reaper commented at all on the Bones Black models' pricing?  The owl bear is listed at eight dollars a pop, which seems comparable to last year's limited edition figures but twice that of the regular Bones price point.  I'm wondering what we should  expect for the new models once they start appearing in the regular catalog.

 

The bones black owlbear is $1 more than the regular bones owlbear.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went ahead & primed my Bones Black owlbear. So far so good, but I'm giving it a few days/week to see how it goes. The old formula bones could take a couple days before going "tacky."

 

Damon.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, Cerberus said:

There's also wanting to have separate molds for each line so that they can be molded in different materials, or in entirely different factories, at the same time.

 

Bones Black material is more solid once cast. It still has some flex to it on thinner elements, but not nearly as much as original Bones. Swords and such won't be bent out of shape as on Bones, but the new material also won't be re-poseable by just soaking it in hot water. That rigidity and color change also makes details sharper and easier to pick out. It's less resistant to damage than original Bones, but not as likely to snap when dropped as typical plastic minis and not prone to shattering when dropped as resin minis can be. But avoid dropping or chucking it on concrete anyways. Really sharp external details (pointy ears, ect) will be damaged if it takes a hard fall, but I expect pretty much everything except the super bendy Bones would be to some extent.

 

Has the bolded quote been officially stated? If so, can you please provide a link? I was just wondering about that property, but I have yet to see or hear it in anything I've read/watched. Perhaps I have missed it?

 

-MvM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After handling the owlbear, I believe them. It is a totally different material.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Corsair said:

After handling the owlbear, I believe them. It is a totally different material.

 

I agree. A friend passed one along yesterday, and I played with it. 

 

I don't think it quite has the detail of metal or resin, but it is a LOT closer than regular Bones, and not a huge step down from metal. It took to a sharp Xacto readily. It was better with a file than regular Bones, but not as good as metal or resin. There were a lot of mold lines to deal with; about what I'd expect from a metal figure. The base concept is amazing, and I want to see all minis made with this concept in mind. However, the injection point could use work. It had some indents on the base, instead of pokey-outies. The owlbear could use some work on the mold/injection where feathers within the wing meet each other. Kinda looks slightly crusty in there. Not a lot but it is almost like it got taken out of the mold before it was fully cooled and pulled the corner. Not enough to really be an issue on painting, but it is an area of non-smoothness in an otherwise smooth area. A lot of folks probably like that he's preassembled, but if the pieces are well fit, I think it may be better to have him unassembled to send. It would make mold line removal easier, and reaching arm/wing-pits with a brush easier. 

 

Still, this is a huge improvement on Old Bones. Downside is that Sir Cyr really is not going to want to step on this one. Not Lego levels of pain yet, but it isn't going to be springy like Old Bones. 

 

Reaper's going to have a heck of a place on the market with beasties out of this stuff. Bones in general is affordable, but this is close to closing the gap between Old Bones and metal. I think a bunch of people will enjoy it when they didn't like Old Bones. 

 

It is going to need to be marketed specifically as new material though, to catch the attention of Bones nay-sayers. Otherwise they're already turned off from the material. The other problem is going to be on shifting previous sculpts over (if that will be done at all). If people get used to these sculpts in Bones Black, they're going to be disappointed when they buy Old Bones and get whiny. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

 

If people get used to these sculpts in Bones Black, they're going to be disappointed when they buy Old Bones and get whiny. 

 

Definitely true- I've already seen people on facebook say they'll be disappointed if Bones 4 core set isn't Bones Black, despite the fact that it was never promised that any of it would be Bones Black and they signed up for the kickstarter on the premise of it all being OG Bones

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

After handling the owlbear, I believe them. It is a totally different material.

 

Totally different as in no longer PVC based, or as in a different PVC-based formulation?

 

Sorry, the chemist in me is coming out. While I don't have a material science degree, I've had enough coursework and experience to know a bit about plastics. And you can alter the fillers and additives to change the rigidity or flexibility of the plastic without changing the polymer you are using. Just wondering if this is what they've done.

 

Can't fight the inner science-geek. His will is strong...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they started with the same basic formula, they have definitely altered the result. It is far closer to a polystyrene in feel and detail than the previous material, which is closer to a PVC used in plumbing.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, I'll have to keep an ear to the ground then for more info on it. Based on what I know, it's my guess that they've just reformulated the original Bones formula to achieve the desired properties. I won't bore anyone with science... but I will mail in a question to possibly be addressed on Reaper Live.  ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

 

Totally different as in no longer PVC based, or as in a different PVC-based formulation?

 

Sorry, the chemist in me is coming out. While I don't have a material science degree, I've had enough coursework and experience to know a bit about plastics. And you can alter the fillers and additives to change the rigidity or flexibility of the plastic without changing the polymer you are using. Just wondering if this is what they've done.

 

Can't fight the inner science-geek. His will is strong...

 

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Hmmm, I'll have to keep an ear to the ground then for more info on it. Based on what I know, it's my guess that they've just reformulated the original Bones formula to achieve the desired properties. I won't bore anyone with science... but I will mail in a question to possibly be addressed on Reaper Live.  ;)

 

Excuse me, but please do. I like the science! SCIENCE ME!

 

I took chem courses, but never focused on plastics. Non-crystalline or non-metal substances are sortof a mystery to me, at least for composition in relation to properties. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

 

 

Excuse me, but please do. I like the science! SCIENCE ME!

 

I took chem courses, but never focused on plastics. Non-crystalline or non-metal substances are sortof a mystery to me, at least for composition in relation to properties. 

I would like to know as well!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×