Redd Knekk

Human Mage, OSL (Updated Pics)

I think you got the right general idea but the photos are too small to see the details.  With larger photos, and more close up views we might be able to give useful critiques. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep. From what I can tell, I think your painting leveled up, but the photography needs work. Hit the Shutterbug forums and read the tips that Doug wrote. Get a piece of bland construction paper for the background, diffuse bright lighting, focus a half-decent smart phone camera. Won't be pro, but will do the job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      So I've been poking at this diorama idea for a couple of years, and it's morphed a bit since I first started it, but I'm thinking that I'm nearing the final composition. But... I'm beginning to second guess myself. 

So, do you think this tells a good/clear story? 
      Should I remove the adventurers from their bases, or paint the bases to match the floor? 

Any and all thoughts welcome! 

• By GodOfCheese
      I'm painting a mini with a light source, and decided to rebase the beastie with some water effects, probably epoxy resin.  I'll probably try to make the water at least slightly rough, creating interest for the eye.  I woke up in a cold sweat this morning realizing that the light source should be reflected (or possibly just highlighted) in/on the water. 

My initial thought was to:
      lightly (heh) color the bottom of the pool as if it were dry and lit by the light source pour and texture the water highlight the water by drybrushing from the light source out.  
      My concern about this is that if the viewer looks toward the light, the surfaces of any wavelets will be highlighted on the opposite side from the POV.  In other words, the viewer will see the undersides or backsides of any highlights through the translucent wavelets, and this might not look the way the viewer expects.

Has anyone done this?  I looked around for a few examples but although there are plenty of doing wave effects (froth and foam), I haven't found any yet that look like translucent glare.  
    • By Cyradis
      The pictures suck but eh, whatever. I'll see about getting better ones when it is done.

This is a "sorry I was a dick to your character" figure because I'm about to be a dick to this player's character. But I'm running a necromancy campaign and he's a priest of death who is scared of dying, and the villains are known to kidnap people who might be useful... too tempting of a backstory to mess with and the player is cool with character deaths. Heh. 

Anyway. Aside from that the character is Super Magicky and has an Aussie magpie as a familiar (making the bird a PITA to paint). 

The figure is the Stephanie Law Male Mage by Dark Sword, and the crow on a rock from the kickstarter. I clipped the staff off the mage, and glued the hand into place facing downward. After removing the bird from the rock, I attached it with much frustration, glue, and greenstuff. I also yanked it off the base and put it on this one from either MicroArtStudio or Secret Weapon (forgot which). 

The character wears black and gray and red and has black hair. And a black and white bird. Great. And he's pale. 

OSL: magic on ground from below - red. Magic in hand - teal. Moonlight from above - white with wee bit of blue. 

Almost done, not quite. Don't tell my IRL friends! No spoilers!

• By vhaidra
      I decided today is a good day for showing you the truth

Originally my plan was to post my wips up from the very beginning for one reason and that is for you to see that there is no need to fear the paint. This is the most important lesson I`ve learnt through all this years of painting: Don`t fear the paint!!!

You can mess around with acrylics same way like you can do with oil paints. You can put them wet in wet in on the figure and just mess around with them how you like. You just have to take care that your layers of paint are not as thick that the paint obscure some fine details, but apart from that you can simply push and pull it around in a (semitransparent rather opaque consistency) on the miniature in a quite chaotic way and I tell you this is massive fun. This is the most joyful part in painting, because you don`t need to be carefully at all. This is also a very good way for practising and learning highlighting, because you can try out different light scenarios, before you make your final decision.

This is what I call: Making first a very rough sketch.

This is the stage where you can simply try things. If you don`t like it....no problem, just paint it over and try a different sketch of the highlighting. The problem with starting very clean up from the very beginning is: You are not flexible anymore. You fear to damage what you have already painted and you stick to something which is might not the best solution, but you stick to it, because you have already spent a couple of hours with painting it up to this stage and this blocks your creativity.

Unleashed creativity starts always with chaos. The chaos gives you the chance to change your direction again and to try out a couple of things before you make your final decision.

Most of my actual wips are far beyond the chaos stage already, but Gandalf is right now in the absolutely chaos stage and so I have got the chance to post at least one of the wips which are at the very, very beginning. I just spent a very short time with him until now and what you see here is only a very first and rough sketch of the osl. As you see, I ignore all other details and I just mess around with my paints for to find out which way the osl might look good in the end. So this is all in heavy progress/movement. Can be that the next wips look completely different, but the overall direction became gradually clear for me in the meantime.

OSL:
      Well this is a complicated OSL because:
      - There is coming white light from above from his staff
      - There is coming orange light from the Balrog in front of him
      - And for making it finaly complicated there is also coming light from below (he is standing on such a stone bridge) because in the abyss there are a lot of torches at the walls below.

So I have to paint 3 lightsources here. 1 in white and 2 in orange and red (fire colours).

Everything here is just done very rudimentary. This is why all looks very unclean and messy, but this is actually exactly the way my paintjobs all look in the very beginning.

Technique: For the moment I just mix the light colours (white, orange, red) with the grey of his robe and with dark grey at the shadows and I apply it very quickly and combine wet in wet with some very rough and quick layering with more opaque paints for making fast progress. I do absolutely not care about cleanliness. I`m not sure yet about the reflections at the sword and try different things here right now. At the moment the osl looks more like rust than like light, but it is just because it is not workout yet. Later the highlights will be more orange and brighter and then it will work. What you see here are rather the midtones of the osl.

Concept: Simply the movie scene which means that the base will be a piece of this stone bridge he is standing on in the movie. Not a big deal.

The challenge here is not the base, but this complicated OSL, his face will also be challenging. Well here it is, don`t get a shock

• By HolkDiggity
      Fun with OSL! I normally don't take dark photos because I like to see the work, and sometimes dark photos just look like a blob of color to me. I wanted to included them here, though, because when lit like this, you can really see the contrast that I tried to convey in this model. I've been working on all kinds of stuff lately, and contrast is the glue that binds all of those skills together.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 119 Guests (See full list)