Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Stonehaven Dwarves Vol. 2

Honestly, other than the Barber, those were all pieces I was planning on trading or flipping, even before seeing the 3D renders.  I just don't have much need for "male Dwarf with armor and hammer #72" these days.

The change in sculpting technique was a bit of a surprise to me, though.

• Like 1

I also think they're looking quite good. For stout dwarves, that is. But this guy:

9421002D-5164-4FE1-9176-FAA949D478D4.jpeg

does feel a bit off. He looks like he is trying to rally with a cheer, but is hating every second of it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spodi said:

I also think they're looking quite good. For stout dwarves, that is. But this guy:

9421002D-5164-4FE1-9176-FAA949D478D4.jpeg

does feel a bit off. He looks like he is trying to rally with a cheer, but is hating every second of it.

It kind of reminds me of the tactical 'hold' gesture. Like he's a spec-ops cleric or something :lol:.

It is kind of odd to see the sudden change in medium for his sculpting, but I'm not really bothered by it, or the delay as they tend to come with the territory with Kickstarters.

• Like 4

I hope that means they'll start selling digital files, even if it's only for the big guys that they don't make anymore. Notice that this one didn't include a 'troll'.

4 days ago Stonehaven posted a reply to a backers post that was almost a month old.

They stated that they were expected the 3D masters the weekend that just ended.

That they expected that shipping would start about a month later and that folks would have their minis by June.

I hate to admit it, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in that timeframe.

As an aside. I remember when Stonehaven ran their early Kickstarters. They’d have regular updates, reply promptly to questions in the comments sections, interact with backers, ask for customers feedback on character designs... I’m not quite sure when that all stopped.

Replying to a post a month after it was posted is just sad.

Whats even more sad is the info in that reply really warranted a proper update  be posted so all the backers would be aware of the info it contained.

It just makes me concerned about where Stonehaven is headed.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

4 days ago Stonehaven posted a reply to a backers post that was almost a month old.

They stated that they were expected the 3D masters the weekend that just ended.

That they expected that shipping would start about a month later and that folks would have their minis by June.

I hate to admit it, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in that timeframe.

As an aside. I remember when Stonehaven ran their early Kickstarters. They’d have regular updates, reply promptly to questions in the comments sections, interact with backers, ask for customers feedback on character designs... I’m not quite sure when that all stopped.

Replying to a post a month after it was posted is just sad.

Whats even more sad is the info in that reply really warranted a proper update  be posted so all the backers would be aware of the info it contained.

It just makes me concerned about where Stonehaven is headed.

I've shared that feeling since the Giants Kickstarter.  It's even worse since none of those miniatures appear to have made it to retail...I think there was a problem with their resin caster.  There was no "Troll" in this set, either.

I hate to speculate, but the communication getting worse has been ongoing for several projects now.

Going by the update before last it sounds like the wife half of their team was the communication person, but now she, apparently, has very little involvement in things there's no one doing it.

Totally baseless speculation, but I'm wondering if, over time, this has become less a side business and more a hobby.

51 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Totally baseless speculation, but I'm wondering if, over time, this has become less a side business and more a hobby.

That’s actually along the lines of what I was wondering about too.

Since their first kickstarter they’ve been on a steady decline of both backers and money raised in each subsequent kickstarter to the point of where this last project only reached about 1/4  the number of backers and money raised when compared to what Stonehavens first kickstarter did.

• Like 1

Doesn't help they've raised their prices tremendously to a point I totally ignore them when looking for minis.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, haldir said:

Doesn't help they've raised their prices tremendously to a point I totally ignore them when looking for minis.

Yeah. That happened a few years ago when they went with a third party to takeover the actual selling of their miniatures.

I wondered about that at the time cause it seems to me that as a small miniature company adding a middleman would’ve cut deeply into their profits.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, haldir said:

I can't say I disagree.  It's one of the reasons I've gone in so heavily during Kickstarters...the savings are just too good, and when I go Completionist, I can still sell the ones I don't care for.

• Like 4

It’s been so long to get to this point that I’m seeing minis there that I don’t even remember being in the Kickstarter.

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

It’s been so long to get to this point that I’m seeing minis there that I don’t even remember being in the Kickstarter.

I honestly keep forgetting that I even backed this one.

• Like 1