Attempt at a Stegosaurus

4 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Trying to avoid grass flocking because there was no grass in the Jurassic

What did the poor beasts eat? Ferns?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TGP said:

What did the poor beasts eat? Ferns?

Lots of ferns and cycads, possibly fruit and young saplings 

If I remember correctly, grass and flowers didn't start appearing until the end of the Cretaceous. Maybe later, it has been a while since I read about it

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

If I remember correctly, grass and flowers didn't start appearing until the end of the Cretaceous. Maybe later, it has been a while since I read about it

This is correct early Cretaceous.  This has been a great build. 

• Like 3

Thanks!

I think even in the Cretaceous it was still fairly new and not a common sight, i think it really picked up its stride once mammals began appearing and the ice ages began. i could be mis-remembering, like i said it was a while ago i read about this

but when i base dinos, i usually try to avoid grass, because i'm cruel to myself and like to make bases as accurate as i can too

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Experimenting adding little pterosaurs. The wire would be sculpted to be branches or reeds if I keep them 

IMG_20200131_141338.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

Reduced it to one pterosaur. He is hard to photograph. Lots of fish eating river birds are white so I painted him up like that

His right wing tip is connected to a stump

IMG_20200131_225036.jpg

IMG_20200131_225107.jpg

• Like 12

I cannot wait to see this at Reapercon in person! Been following since you started it and have enjoyed it so much.

And there was grass back then, Dad made me mow it, and believe me it was rough when those dumb Brachiosaurs would poop on the lawn!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I cannot wait to see this at Reapercon in person! Been following since you started it and have enjoyed it so much.

he'll be there, no fear! going to be my Open entry, but will be at my art station until i go turn in my contest pieces

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3

What I find really fascinating is that you appear to be building the base around a fully painted figure. I would never think to start building the composition around an ostensibly completed figure, because I'd have to go back and clean up any damage to the paint and such. Really, it strikes me as equal parts crazy and brave.

• Like 4