Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Seeing the rest of the party moving toward the pit. Neph' will make his over to the barkeep. Wisps of smoke come off his armor as he moves. He loved the look from the common folk, it just added to the whole "tieflings just aren't right" stereotype.

"Evening, barkeep. Here is a dragon."

He hands over the gold coin. He awaits his turn to be lowered into the pit.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Available Quests:

Hunt for Magic Items and Spellbooks

Obaya Uday, a neutral good Chultan priest of Waukeen (god of trade), has traveled from the distant city of Port Nyanzaru on behalf of a wizard named Wakanga O'tamu to procure magic items from Waterdeep. When she learned about Undermountain, Obaya booked a room at the Yawning Portal in the hope of hiring adventurers to plunder the dungeon of its magical riches.

Pay a Harper Debt

A bard named Mattrim Mereg, known as Threestrings to his friends, plays a three-stringed lute at the Yawning Portal.

Mattrim needs a pouch of gold delivered to a female half-drow named Cal'al Claddani, who runs a tavern called the Flagon and the Dragon in Skullport. Cal'al provided shelter and healing to a wounded Harper spy in Skullport and is owed payment for her support. Mattrim's pouch contains three moonstones worth 50 gp each.

Once they deliver the pouch, characters can take refuge in a Harper hideout called Dalagor's Fortress, located on the uppermost level of Skullport. Mattrim tells the characters that a dragonborn mage named Felrax guards the place.

Search for Kressando Rosznar

A young noblewoman, Esvele Rosznar has been frequenting the Yawning Portal on busy evenings, keeping mostly to herself while sipping zzar and listening to gossip.

Esvele takes one or more of the adventurers aside as they prepare to make their initial descent into Undermountain and asks them to keep an eye out for Kressando, a 22-year-old man with fair skin and dark curly hair, trained in the arts of stealth and thievery. She also tells them that Kressando wears a platinum signet ring bearing the Rosznar family crest (a diving white falcon on a field of blue) and an inscription of the family motto ("Fly high and stoop swift").

She promises that if the characters can facilitate Kressando's safe return or deliver proof of his whereabouts to Esvele, she will owe them a favor, adding that "You can trust in House Ros­znar." 

Throne of the Coronal

Volothamp Geddarm, famous explorer and raconteur, offers to buy the adventurers a round of drinks to celebrate their upcoming expedition into the Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Injected into the conversation is the following tale:

This story dates to the fall of Illefarn, an elven kingdom of the North. An alabaster throne belonging to Syglaeth Audark, the last coronal of Illefarn, disappeared from the capital city of Aelinthaldaar, where the Mad Mage built his tower and today stands Waterdeep. It's said that a group of dwarves feared the destruction of such a miraculous work of stonecraft and stole the throne right out from under the elves' slender noses. Where the dwarves hid it for so long, who knows? But should you find it in Undermountain, it would please the elves of the North to know it survives.

Assuming that no one has any questions, Durnan begins lowering the party one at time down the shaft of the well.  The journey takes one full minute down, and another minute back up. 

Who was the first one down?

6 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Did any of us do any prep that gave us time to pick up on those hooks? I'm pretty sure we all just rushed down as soon as we heard the call to adventure.

Well I stayed for a bit. I was pretty much the last one down. Also how are the quests being delivered?

Books!  The Librarian is eager to pursue the Hunt for Magical Items and Spellbooks, but Paying a Harper's Debt may be smart to do soon as well as we may need a place to stay.  

DM - What do I know about House Roszner? (Knowledge History is +6)

6 hours ago, prophetic_joe said:

As to prep I think Dilvish said we had been scoping things out for a few days prior so I assume we would have heard things then.

Yes.  I figured that as good adventurers you did some recon/information gathering first.

1 hour ago, Unit04 said:

Books!  The Librarian is eager to pursue the Hunt for Magical Items and Spellbooks, but Paying a Harper's Debt may be smart to do soon as well as we may need a place to stay.  

House Roszner :  give me a history check; with advantage if someone in the party has the noble background.

4 hours ago, Unit04 said:

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

House Roszner :  give me a history check; with advantage if someone in the party has the noble background.

"Death knows many secrets..."(casts Guidance)

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 2