Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Dorn places himself in a position where he can react to a threat from the opening door and also any threat that may come from the area on the other wall that hasn't been checked yet and of course any threat coming  from farther down the hallway. He readies his shield and axe.

The door opens revelaimg a 10 ft wide passage that after 10 ft opens into a large room.  The room in unadorned, empty but for a wooden armor stand in the center of the room.  Thrust into the stand is a faintly glowing long sword. The is a door in the northern part of the western wall.

1415473914_2019-01-0311_27_55.thumb.jpg.909efc3c8379a540e433b10eed64068a.jpg

Noticing the glowing sword, Toki will check about for any signs of trap, ambush or other points of interest... If it all looks safe he's going to go cast Identify on the sword.

"That glowing sword might be magical in some capacity. I can identify what it can do if I can get up close."

So I should probably start with a perception roll, but I'll hold off if someone wants to cast Guidance on him first.

3 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Noticing the glowing sword, Toki will check about for any signs of trap, ambush or other points of interest... If it all looks safe he's going to go cast Identify on the sword.

"That glowing sword might be magical in some capacity. I can identify what it can do if I can get up close."

So I should probably start with a perception roll, but I'll hold off if someone wants to cast Guidance on him first.

On the far side of the armor stand, there is an old blood stain and the remains of a skeletal hand.  You didn't notice any traps (go ahead and rolls your perception anyways).

Do you have the material component for the spell? (100gp pearl)

8 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

On the far side of the armor stand, there is an old blood stain and the remains of a skeletal hand.  You didn't notice any traps (go ahead and rolls your perception anyways).

12+3 = 15

8 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Do you have the material component for the spell? (100gp pearl) 

Yes.

So Toki is going to touch the flat of the blade and cast Identify to learn the sword's properties or if someone just cast a faint Light spell on it.

You learn that the sword is indeed magical.  In addition to the light (which is always on) it will bypass the damage resistance of creatures that need that sort of thing.  No bonuses though.  

You also find out that it is cursed!  Once someone grasps the hilt, they are unable to let go.  If it is pried from their grasp, the sword teleports back into it.

"Good thing all I did was press my fingers against this." Toki sighs out loud.

"Hey do any of you want a sword you can never let go of, that brights faintly and bypasses damage resistance to light?"

3 hours ago, dwarvenranger said:

"No worries. But in that case it's Brother Vin that owes ye the 200 Dragons for the armor" Dorn says with a wink.

I have a fine suit of adamantine, which was not purchased. Dim is mistaken. My extra coin goes to my order, it's why I've only got.... (checks purse)  "20" gold.

5 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

"Good thing all I did was press my fingers against this." Toki sighs out loud.

"Hey do any of you want a sword you can never let go of, that brights faintly and bypasses damage resistance to light?"

No.

4 hours ago, dwarvenranger said:

"Eh, it's Brother Vin that's been casting Guidance. But, may the Keeper of Secrets under the Mountain reveal the secrets of that sword to ye."

It's true, the dead often have secrets to share, but we haven't encountered any yet.

"Yah you go ahead & keep that sword or just leave the blasted thing where you found it!" Neph' says to Toki.

I'm assuming the skeletal hand was the former owner of the sword??