TGP

Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 11th: What game (computer, board, RPG, whatever) have you spent the most time prepping for?

If you're counting minis painting, then warhammer 40k as I've painted a few different armies and terrain over the last 18 years.

If you are not counting painting then a superheroes game using d20 abberant. Since I wasn't using the setting out of the book I had to make a lot of stuff from scratch, NPCs, maps, character pictures, etc..

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 11th: What game (computer, board, RPG, whatever) have you spent the most time prepping for?

It seems like I did more prepping for the various games I played than the actual playing part, but that was all a long time ago.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Definitely Armies of Arcana. I replaced Warhammer with it many years ago and most of my fantasy and ancients minis are fit into armies for it. Every piece of terrain I've made and nearly every mini painted in the last 10 years are for it or Frostgrave. I've designed and modded army lists, bought, built and painted (well somewhat) the armies and have been steadily making all sorts of terrain. Want to design my own world and history as it doesn't come with an official world but never get much past a few notes on the nature of each army and a general idea of how the world looks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Yeah, I'm in the RPG D&D/Pathfinder category. Either as a player or a DM.

As a player, the character building, looking at all the options, preoccupied many of my thoughts. And as a DM, preparing for all the possibilities the players would throw at me...:zombie:

I've created maps, special rumour tables, NPCs galore, assembled and painted minis, created my own DM screen, hauled around tons of books and props and rolled so many dice that they melted from the heat generated by friction... for fun!

NO REGRETS! (No sanity left either. :;,;:)

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Kings of War. 

8855 points of Undead

2450 point of Ratkin

1005 points of Elves

770 points of Abyssals

545 points of Orcs

400 points of Goblins

360 points of Herd

355 points of Dwarfs

300 points of Forces of Nature

240 points of Varangur

That's a lot of painting time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

My Pathfinder game of Slumbering Tsar.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Probably dungeons and dragons, although it depends a lot on how we compute such things.

Individual game (GM): Dungeons & Dragons, (reading, writing, handout prep, maps, etc.)

Individual game (Player): Shockingly, I think this might actually be Star Fleet Battles. Back in high school we ran some crazy games, and all the fleet prep and option selection took quite a while. Also, I might not have been the most responsible intern during the summer between high school and college.

Cumulative time: I think D&D comes in again, but this time Battletech is a real contender. I have run a lot of campaigns, and that took a lot of prep to generate. I haven't run as many D&D campaigns. Pathfinder is also a surprisingly strong contender here. The only reason it falls out of first place is because the game is only about 10 years old, vs. the 30+ years I've played the other two.

Honorable mention: Warhammer Fantasy Battle gets an honorable mention, as it probably has the best claim for including miniatures assembly, and prep time in 'game preparation', in which case, I am still 'preparing' the elf army I started for an in-store campaign in 1994. ::P:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Honorable mention: Warhammer Fantasy Battle gets an honorable mention, as it probably has the best claim for including miniatures assembly, and prep time in 'game preparation', in which case, I am still 'preparing' the elf army I started for an in-store campaign in 1994. ::P:

I'm almost finished painting my HE army that I started buying then. Just did the last cavalry unit and only have a few character minis left. Decided to try and finish it this year but I keep getting distracted. The Empire army that I started about the same time is only about half painted.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

D&D and it's not even close.  I DM for 3 different groups, each with very different playstyles. I'm running 2 games over Christmas, and then will start running at least 2 games a month in 2019.  It's an insane amount of work, but there's nothing better than having engaged players laughing along with something you created.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

If painting counts then "Fire and Fury", I wouldn't like to think how many pots of Blue and Grey paint I've used up...

If it's just book-work than it would probably be GURPS.

• Like 6

Quisitor not answering questions he posts...bad Quisitor, bad, naughty, feathered Quisitor. :ph34r:

On 12/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, TGP said:

Question Dec. 10th: Historical Fiction, can you recommend one -or- do you detest-ignore the whole genre?

I do read some of them. (Hornblower, Conan-Doyle’s Medievals, Ivanhoe... among others) Thank you all, for the numerous suggestions for titles I was unaware of.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I think it is D&D (back in the day) with Warhammer FB (before they asploded it...) in second place. 

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

SLURP (Somewhat Logical Uncomplicated Role Play) a himebrew system that my friends and I played for 5 to 6 year starting sometime in High school.  Between writing play testing and playing over the course of 6 editions (the last one I solo wrote a new magic system while on a 6 month deployment), that’s the most.  After that, it's the various versions of D&D.

I want to know more about SLURP. Ever thought of publishing it. Or, a guide to cobbling it together? (I am guessing it incorporates much published material from established companies) This is intriguing. 

@WhiteWulfe this problem:

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

......Aaaaand then they'd update the Codex and/or rulebook, and you were right back at square one again, having to replan your army, and most likely spend another $150-200 CAD to get the army in shape for the new ruleset... Arguably this is why I don't really do that anymore, ...

...was-is endemic to Warhammer Fantasy also. 

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That and hauling a 5-10lb bag full of miniatures across two busses and a train, going halfway across town to play grinds on you after a while (aka it wasn't an issue when I had a car - throw minis in back seat and/or trunk and go). 

Maybe this is some of the why???! behind age of skirmish. Although some of the humongous display piece size gaming models they create now...? bulk is still an issue. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Pathfinder. As player and as GM.

The issue is, even though I'm not GMing for the first time in a decade (wheeee! I'm a player I can goof off! ooo, what does this lever do? I pull the lever! aww, I need a new character) I still seem to be tasked with painting all the minis. Not because nobody else paints, my partner paints rather well, she's longer in the hobby than I've been, and she's the GM. But she said she'd paint these figures, she'd get around to it honest. Then last week we faced of against a construct laying on the table. Bare pewter, not even attached to a base. Arms missing somewhere on her worktable. She never got around to it.

Nobody said anything but the fantasy of "I'll get around to it" has been busted. Instead it's become "do you have a figure that looks like... oh you do. Could you paint it by next weekend? This color scheme, gold mask? k thx"

Of course this has led to the inevitable "buy this" and "ooo buy this one" and her fishing around in my mini box with a "paint this, I need it for the game". 

As soon as we get out of painting, the game I prep most for is, oddly enough, Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm in the "I haven't tried to get this random ending yet let's see it" stage of gameplay. DA4 is a loooooong way off...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I think @Dilvish the Deliverer might win for writing his own rules system :ik_oops:

Too be fair, most of the versions we're a group effort, with varying degrees of input.

As to publishing it, it was a group effort and the core of the editions haben't changed.  It started as an attempt to get away from AD&D as we felt it was suffering from rules bloat.  We also wanted to try (in later editions) to balance out magic vs weapons.  The first action straight up stole WHFRPs magic system.

Stats were split between Physical and Mental, with Strike, Defense, Strength and Toughness.  That and skills would determine the odds for success.  It was a d10 system to you took your Strike, subtracted the Defense and that was the target number.  For damage, it was Strength minus Toughness.  Of you succeed, that was one wound, then you halved the target number and rolled again.  That was how you did multiple wounds.  Weapoms differed based on type.  A sword was 4/4 (hit/damage).  An axe (3/5)  a spear 5/3.  Spells were similar in that they were 8 pts split amongst hit/damage/rage/area.  One version had a word system, where you strung mystical words together to cast spells.  Vas Pyrus Grav Bal (greater, fire, ranged, area effect) would be a huge fireball for example.  Good times.  It think that is what made me a good min/maxer.  Designing systems to try and be balanced.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Hard to say, I haven't stuck with any one RPG game system for more than a few years at a time and I almost never GM. I hate making new characters, so I don't spend time pouring over rule books.  Maybe Call of Cthulhu, it's the one I've run most.  Maybe Asheron's Call, I played online for ten+ years and did a lot of quest research. 

• Like 5