TGP

Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

6 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Hatchet. In fact, hatchet replaces hammer. The back end of a hatchet is a hammer.

Small knife I can ruin on wood. Like a pocket knife.

Larger knife I can save for breaking down carcasses and people. I own several and have the creepy knowledge necessary to ensure food never runs out so long as there's people around :ph34r:

Rope. Always need rope.

Backpack to carry the things I pick up.

Big plastic jug for water storage.

Iron pot. A good iron pot can cook food, boil water, melt wax, melt fat, melt lead...

Firestarter.

Bottle of vodka. Ideally I would set up early so as to start distilling my own for fuel, medicines, trade, and my own use.

Knitting needles. I don't know how to knit but I know how to built a simple device for spinning wool/hair/fibres into yarn and thread. I'm sure someone else can knit.

A tin can. I know how to make charcoal out of wood but it requires a tin can with lid. Useful once smelting becomes an idea again. From there I can use "iron pot" to begin melting aluminum and then I win Civ: Post Apocalypse.

11 years as a girl scout

fat + ash = soap

wax + needle + thread + skins = waterproofing

waterproofing + scrap sugars + water + yeast + skill + time = vodka

needle + thread + vodka + soap = simple medicine

charcoal + bellows + old tire = forge

forge + scrap metal = metalworking = return to civilization

You know? An iron pot is cool, and useful, but if @TGP is handing out the equipment we request free of charge, you should go for an iridium crucible of modest size. It'll be annoyingly heavy (and stupid expensive), but can withstand anything your forge can throw at it, so you can melt aluminum, steel, etc. It also will pretty much never rust.

I figure a return to metalworking will be fueled by mining the bones of our old civilization, rather than raw ores out of the ground. Most of the easy stuff was extracted a long time ago, and the refined remains are in garbage dumps and scrap yards world wide.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 21st: What is your all time, so far, favorite game??  (...particularly if it is one you cannot or do not get to play anymore...) Answer by categories if you wish, frex: RPGs, electronic, tabletop, cardgames, boardgames, etc.

I think my answer probably varies day to day.

Maybe Warhammer Quest ('95) one day, then Fable the next, then Quest for Glory 2, then Dominion the day after that. It's really hard to have a favorite. It's much better to have a group of things I have really liked over time.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 21st: What is your all time, so far, favorite game??  (...particularly if it is one you cannot or do not get to play anymore...) Answer by categories if you wish, frex: RPGs, electronic, tabletop, cardgames, boardgames, etc.

20 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

I think my answer probably varies day to day.

Maybe Warhammer Quest ('95) one day, then Fable the next, then Quest for Glory 2, then Dominion the day after that. It's really hard to have a favorite. It's much better to have a group of things I have really liked over time.

I agree with pinkymadigan. Instead of absolute favourites of anything I have a bunch of stuff I like and whatever's top of the list varies from time to time. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

Battletech

Oh, and I definitely want nebulousmissy with me! I will supply the moulds for casting the bullets!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

Traveller - but I would have a hard time deciding which Traveller edition

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I love all my children!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

MMORPG: final fantasy 11. Sure, it had its issues (gilsellers making the economy crazy inflated), but I had a lot of fun playing it and made some good friends.

JapRPG: Ni-no-kuni. So many cute animal companions to collect and evolve!

First person video game: Dead Island/Dead Island Riptide. The first video game my hubby and I played together. Plus is hecking fun.

RPG: Skyrim. I mean, I've never even actually finished it!

Tabletop: D&D with my Hubby!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Same as the last game question: minecraft.

My overall favorite modpack so far has been Blightfall. Custom handcrafted map (with lots for explorers to find), some story/lore stuff, great use of mechanics. A planet has been overwhelmed by corruption, you have a handful of domes to survive in until you can eventually cleanse the world.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Oooooh, that's a tough one.  Hmmm

First and foremost, since nobody has said it... Redacted is so my favourite. *nods sagely*   And with that out of the way.... 

I'll playfully say paintball, doubly so hopperball, aka what's in your hopper is all you have to use the entire round. 

No idea what frex is... 

Favourite RPG is probably... I actually don't have a favourite system. 

Favourite electronic game would probably have to be a semi-tie between Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous, even if I don't put anywhere near enough time into either.  So much fun. 

Card game?  Probably Clank! 

Board game?  Also Clank! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

PC- The Heroes of Might and Magic Series ( ends with V for me since the rest needs Ubiplay) and the Civilization Series.

Board Game - Risk, Heroquest.

Card Game - Catan including the add ons.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Cards Against Humanity, with 7 Wonders coming in second. I do not get to play CAH as much as I would like, because I have several friends who despise it. I have a problem saying no to 7 Wonders. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Stuck at work being bored, so this looks fun...

My all time favorite is Shadowrun. Was introduced in 91 and loved it. Eventually, my group decided we actually didn't like the rules as much as the setting so back around 97 or 98 we decided to write our own set of rules and have been using them ever since. That rulebook is now 70 pages long (no pictures or examples, don't need them as it's been a cooperative effort so we all know how to apply them) and we've run virtually every setting imaginable with them. We've had a continuous Shadowrun group for 22 or 23 years made up of mostly the same players. And one guy has managed to keep the same character that whole time. We only get to play about once a month these days but somehow its managed to not go stale. 

In terms of board games, my wife and I have been into Arkham Horror for several years now. A couple of years ago my wife ended up playing something like 16 hours of that game at Origins. We've got all the expansions for the last edition and when we set them all up at once it takes up most of my 10 foot long dining room table. Which is pretty great.

Other than that I've been into a lot of Munchkin lately. I got my niece and nephew into it and every time they visit we end up playing it for hours. If any of you ever go to Origins I highly recommend getting into Munchkinsanity by Rogue Judges. Its every compatible Munchkin card in a curated deck including some one of a kind cards drawn by John Kovalic and signed by Steve Jackson. Last year my wife ended up winning a game with a total power of 135 against a monster with a total power of 132. Pretty insane!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Traveller - but I would have a hard time deciding which Traveller edition

I’m a long term Traveller fan, too. The older I get, the more I return to Classic...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I love the Myst series of video games and still play occasionally. However, I absolutely /loved/ Torin's Passage. It was a point and click puzzle game and beyond that I don't remember much. Haven't been able to find it in years or on a system that would run it. I keep hoping it will pop up on Steam but so far no such luck.

• Like 2