Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

TGP

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 1st: Are you going to send Christmas cards this year?

A. No, Ima Grinch

B. No, that’s old fashioned.

C. No, I went electronic ___ years ago.

D. Yes, always ::):

E. Yes, now that this Q has motivated me.

F. _____________________

(see below for detailed answer)

Weekend Quest until Dec. 2nd: Please show us the face of the cards you are sending out, or of one that you have already received...  what is a favorite Christmas card?

F

We send out cards sporadically, so some years we do, some years we don't. There is usually a family newsletter that gets sent out to Husband's relatives. My relatives are always hit or miss if I can get a consistent address. So I might send a few to a couple people but no mass holiday cards this year.

• Like 8

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Edit: biggest reason why though? Cards are expensive, most are at least $4 per card, and then it's another dollar on top of that to send the thing.. 

It may be different in Canada but here you can buy a whole box of cards for $4.  You can buy a box of unused cards from the thrift store for $1. Heck, even dollar stores have nice cards for $1, or less if you buy a box.  

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, TGP said:

A. No, Ima Grinch

F. _____________________

F.

When the wife decides to send Christmas cards, I really like to hand make the cards.  All the way down to the envelope.  It's fun, but it's also a LOT of work.

There was a stretch where we did this for several years in a row, but the wife got disillusioned because we weren't receiving any in return.  I think it's been four years since we've sent any at all.

I wish I had some to show, but I only ever made enough to send out.  I do still have my templates for cutting out the envelopes though.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Inarah said:

It may be different in Canada but here you can buy a whole box of cards for $4.  You can buy a box of unused cards from the thrift store for $1. Heck, even dollar stores have nice cards for $1, or less if you buy a box.  

True, there are boxed sets usually for $5-10 depending on which one, but they all usually feel so.....  Bland? ^_^;;;;;

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TGP said:

A. No, Ima Grinch

F. _____________________

Weekend Quest until Dec. 2nd: Please show us the face of the cards you are sending out, or of one that you have already received...  what is a favorite Christmas card?

D.

Although technically it's my housemate sending the cards, I just write and post them.

Nowhere near as many this year though, crossing everyone off the list who hadn't sent us a card in the last couple of years reduced it by about 2/3.

I'm too lazy to take a pic, but the card I gave my housemate this year has two sausage dogs in Christmas jumpers with the slogan "Dachshund through the snow."  

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, TGP said:

A. No, Ima Grinch

F. _____________________

F.

Used to mail out Christmas cards every year, but giving it a pass this time. My excuses reasons for not carrying out my ritual include:

- Postal strikes.

- Highly mobile friends/ a perpetually out-of-date address book.

- Only receiving return correspondence from 5 or 6 people.

Instead, I will be including Christmas cards with the presents of the 5 or so close friends I'll be seeing this holiday season. 

• Like 9

Ok, so these are cards I have received as of early this afternoon. Two more came in after the photo was taken.

IMG_20181201_134144876.jpg.9ba0ae956b71f44fd9c18019a8263d08.jpg

The nice thing about penpal cards is you always get one in return. 

These are some of the cards I have to send out this year:

IMG_20181201_134751387.jpg.bf53909b47f8b2ba4045f3e0f1350cc4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 7:54 AM, TGP said:

A. No, Ima Grinch

F. _____________________

F. Sensitive topic and don't want to discuss it.

@Glitterwolf, and @Rob Dean---those are some seriously cool cards!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

True, there are boxed sets usually for $5-10 depending on which one, but they all usually feel so.....  Bland? ^_^;;;;;

They must not have any cards with owls up there...

7 hours ago, Talae said:

I haven't ever made sending cards a habit. I should though. Then I might actually receive some in return.

Maybe we should get a geeky card exchange thing going...

Are owls geeky enough? I love owls :ik_oops:

• Like 8

On 12/1/2018 at 7:54 AM, TGP said:

A. No, Ima Grinch

F. _____________________

F.  I've never gotten in the habit of sending Christmas cards, so I don't send them out.  There are some days I think that I should and then I realize I don't have all that many people I'd send them to.  And it still seems like a chore.

The only Christmas card I've received is the card Paizo included in their November shipments.  I don't think it counts.

• Like 8

On 12/1/2018 at 12:54 PM, TGP said:

A. No, Ima Grinch

F. _____________________

We send cards to people we won't see over the festive season. Anyone that we are meeting face to face gets cake/cookies/brownies ::D: No one's complained so far....

We haven't bought ours yet, I'll post a pic when we do. They'll probably show penguins or cats with lots of glitter, if previous years are any indication :poke:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

They must not have any cards with owls up there...

Are owls geeky enough? I love owls :ik_oops:

Barking Buffalo / Salgado Fenwick probably does.

Like... They have lots of fox and wolf stuff, so I wouldn't doubt they'd have owls of some kind.  They also have really really REALLY tasty cookies to go with the mocha I get every time I go in (and hubby gets a latté)

• Like 6

The subject is Trees...

Question Dec. 3rd — Last year: real, fake, or none? This year: real, fake, or none?

(Xmas Trees)

Edited by TGP
Can’t count. It was the word crussades from the C&C thread that did it...
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

Question Dec. 2nd — Last year: real, fake, or none? This year: real, fake, or none?

(Xmas Trees)

Last year due to space concerns was a small Lego tree. So fake.

Most years since 2010, and again for this year, my Charlie Brown Tree replica, so again fake.

Real trees are asking for trouble. That's how Sonny Bono got killed.

It went down like this...trees possess a great deal of patience but it eventually runs out. So after decades of being lopped down, dragged to used car lots, then having their corpses further mutilated to fit in the living room, and followed up by being thrown out in the trash a few days after Christmas, their rage has been building. 

So when they learned that Sonny Bono was elected to Congress, the trees figured he might be sympathetic to their plight and put a stop to it. He told them what they wanted to hear and by 1998 the trees had figured that they'd been lied to and took revenge. The media called it a "skiing accident", and buried the footage of the Pine trees going at him with aluminum baseball bats. There have been other incidents along these lines, but so far Bigfoot has been running interference for us so they aren't as prevelent as they might otherwise be.

In short, getting a real tree might make one a target for the other ones....

• Haha 9