Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

TGP

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

Question Dec. 2nd — Last year: real, fake, or none? This year: real, fake, or none?

(Xmas Trees)

Real.

We always buy a small real tree one with roots, and put it in a large basket.

Then on a small table and that's where the presents will be.

• Like 8

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

Question Dec. 2nd — Last year: real, fake, or none? This year: real, fake, or none?

(Xmas Trees)

Probably none this year. We're going to be moving either the end of the year or very early in the new year, so having a tree and a bunch of decorations to fuss with doesn't make sense.

Usually it's a fake one, though. I don't see the sense in killing a real tree.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Real.

We always buy a small real tree one with roots, and put it in a large basket.

Then on a small table and that's where the presents will be.

My grandparents used to do that when I was a kid. They'd take care of it and then when spring came, they'd plant it out in the yard. If I ever get to a point where I own my own home I'm going to do this.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

I've never had a fake tree. {purple} I prefer the fun of vacuuming up pine needles for three months.{/purple} We go to a tree farm that has goats you can feed. It's pretty fun.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Space issues has meant only a small fake tabletop tree for the last few years, but I don't think I've ever had a real tree at Christmas.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

I am hoping Cap'n John skips the tree again this year. I do enjoy the memories of Christmases long gone, but the tree adds a touch of melancholy that I would just as soon forgo.

HOWEVER, there was a time that decorating The Tree, real or artificial, was a truly joyous occupation, one I looked forward to all year. I preferred the fake firs; re, killing a tree for

an ornament seems horribly wasteful & needless destructive.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Last year: none. 

This year: puppy eyes from hubby, but still none.  Oh, and he points the ones out for sale every time we go by a set of them...  And then promptly says "I'm not dragging that home, and we don't have room for it anyways". 

Poor hubby, so conflicted, wanting a tree but knowing we live in a small one bedroom apartment that we would have to rearrange a bunch of things just to set it up, and then we would also have to get decorations...  that are stored... Somewhere..

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Ever since I moved in apartment by myself, I haven't set up any Christmas decorations ever. But I grew up with fake trees (we only ever owned two trees). My parents probably never trusted having kids *and* a real tree at the same time. Something, something, fire hazard. And past anecdotes from them gives it credence (like my brother, at age two, somehow running away with the tree while my mother was on the phone with my grandma).

Though there was the Christmas of '87 where we did have a real tree. Then again, we were living in Europe that year, were already older, so having the "disposable" model made sense.

Now outside, we did have real trees several times in the backyard.

• Like 7

Fake, and plenty of them.  They are all miniature also. Six last year from 4' to 1'.  Seven this year with the addition of a 6" ceramic lighted tree.  Two others are ceramic also.  Two 4' artificial trees, three ceramic trees. two tabletop trees. One of them for Winter Fun With Snoopy and Woodstock ornaments and the other a metal tree that has other miniature ornaments.  It used to have the Peanuts, but did not have the capacity for the expanding size of the collection. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Last year: none. 

This year: puppy eyes from hubby, but still none.  Oh, and he points the ones out for sale every time we go by a set of them...  And then promptly says "I'm not dragging that home, and we don't have room for it anyways". 

Poor hubby, so conflicted, wanting a tree but knowing we live in a small one bedroom apartment that we would have to rearrange a bunch of things just to set it up, and then we would also have to get decorations...  that are stored... Somewhere..

Get him one of those fake mini trees, some are just about 30cm high with decorations and all, nice tablepiece.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Always fake. We had a real one one year when I was less than 5 (I don't remember exactly), but I got so sick. I have a lot of allergies and this tree caused a couple of emergency room visits. So it's been fake ever since.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Most of my life it was a fake tree but now the wife likes real ones. 

• Like 6