Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

TGP

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

Question Dec. 2nd — Last year: real, fake, or none? This year: real, fake, or none?

(Xmas Trees)

Fake. It's what I grew up with. There will be a big one on the living room, a small white fiber optic :wub: one in the kitchen to show off my collection of frog ornaments and (hopefully) a small green fiber optic tree in the bathroom. I love Christmas and I finally found some reasonably priced little fiber optic trees which I have wanted for quite a while. 

• Like 7

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

Question Dec. 2nd — Last year: real, fake, or none? This year: real, fake, or none?

(Xmas Trees)

Both years, both.  Our main tree is a balsam fir that we get the weekend after Thanksgiving as a family from a local tree farm.  This year it is the largest yet, at about 12 feet tall, but fairly thin (so it fits in the corner of the foyer). I had to anchor it to the wall after putting on the lights as it was too top heavy and fell over (thankfully we hadn't put on ornaments yet).  My wife also has an artificial tree that she does each year.  It is all white lights and she covers it (and I mean COVERS) in antique crystal chandelier drops.  When she's done it looks like it is covered in ice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Get him one of those fake mini trees, some are just about 30cm high with decorations and all, nice tablepiece.

He's tried to veto a fake tree, but I won't lie, I've been tempted to get one of those ones about the height you're talking about.  Only problem is the last part - "table".  What's a table?

....Oh, you mean like that thing I put all my miniatures on, or the Keurig goes on?  We don't have a spare one of those... >.>;;;;

I wonder how close to dead I'd be if his Christmas gift was a fake tree....  That I then hid a Nintendo Switch under, but used something cheesy like socks a brand new pillow to conceal....

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

He's tried to veto a fake tree, but I won't lie, I've been tempted to get one of those ones about the height you're talking about.  Only problem is the last part - "table".  What's a table?

....Oh, you mean like that thing I put all my miniatures on, or the Keurig goes on?  We don't have a spare one of those... >.>;;;;

I wonder how close to dead I'd be if his Christmas gift was a fake tree....  That I then hid a Nintendo Switch under, but used something cheesy like socks a brand new pillow to conceal....

You could get a potted rosemary "tree". You can eat it too!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

real.  any year we spend x-mas at home we get a real tree. I am in charge of keeping it alive /tidy while it is here, so I drag my feet in getting it, I think a week before christmas is long enough, the kids were campaigning for getting one last weekend.   a compromise will eventually be found.

My parents always did a real tree.  Although now that they have a farm, they tend to cut down a nuisance cedar tree, replant it in the front yard for the christmas season, and decorated it to feed birds.  Sometimes it gets used as a fence post afterward.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

On 12/1/2018 at 7:54 AM, TGP said:

Question Dec. 1st: Are you going to send Christmas cards this year?

A. No, Ima Grinch

B. No, that’s old fashioned.

C. No, I went electronic ___ years ago.

D. Yes, always ::):

E. Yes, now that this Q has motivated me.

F. _____________________

(see below for detailed answer)

Weekend Quest until Dec. 2nd: Please show us the face of the cards you are sending out, or of one that you have already received...  what is a favorite Christmas card?

F. I don't send christmas cards. Most of the folks that you'd normally send them to, I either see in person, or actively work to be forgotten by them.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Terrain? There's no space in my apartment for any, but I often have a few of the little bottle brush pine trees from my terrain box on tables and things.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Fake.  

We like to reuse holiday decorations in this family.  For Christmas it's fake trees, for Easter we paint fake eggs, and for Halloween we carve fake pumpkins.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Real.

We always buy a small real tree one with roots, and put it in a large basket.

Then on a small table and that's where the presents will be.

Years ago I rented a room from my erstwhile friends, Bill & Alice. Each year they would buy a lovely Christmas Tree like the one you described only quite large.

After Christmas, Bill would move the tree out into the backyard where he intended to plant it. The planting never happened, & eventually the tree died. By the

time he & Alice moved to Mississippi, the backyard looked like the Christmas Tree Lot from HELL! or, at the least, from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.

It was a truly depressing sight.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

Last year was a small 3' artificial tree due to space issues.  This year should have been the same, but I inherited my grandmothers all natural aluminum tree and decided I should set it up.  I had to move two end tables and a couch, but eventually made room for it.  Unfortunately, she lost/broke the color wheel projector at some point (or given I have no memory of it my aunts/uncles could have broken it when they were children) and most of the sellers seem to think highly of theirs.  I may wait until after the season and see if the price drops.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

For you Night Vale listeners: "Treeeeeees....."

Seriously, last year's tree was real.  This year's tree will probably be real too.

Due to a lack of room, we only get a tabletop tree.  My wife really enjoys decorating the tree and we don't currently have the room for a full-sized tree.  (Nor do we have room to store an artificial tree.)  I admit I'm not as much into the tree as she is.  I also admit part of it is that I have to tear down my miniature painting setup for the tree (we only have one real table to put it on).

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TGP said:

The subject is Trees...

(Xmas Trees)

It's been fake for a long time. I think I last had a live tree sometime in the 80's.  Just too much hassle.  We don't have room, don't have kids, won't have guests who would notice, and the cats... well... they will be cats. 

We have a small (~18") table top tree with mini ornaments.  Since the gifts will be minis too, it works well. 

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Usually it's a fake one, though. I don't see the sense in killing a real tree.

Ditto. The world needs more living trees. 

• Like 9