Redd Knekk

03906, Battleguard Golem Magus

Thought this guy would be a fun, quick paint, but turned into a tedious, long pain. Definitely not my best work but was trying new things mainly with metallics and OSL. As I went along, there were some things I wanted to experiment with so I did that at the expense of details, smooth highlights, etc. 

Really only intended it to be seen from the front (first pic), but as soon as I took pictures a thousand things popped up I could do better.

Anyway, here you go, and if you would like to tell me how you’d do it with these color light sources, please do.

81980BAA-1C51-4024-A673-BEEC2F147076.jpeg

1DAA4507-FFFA-4949-98EF-2FB1C28A9B8E.jpeg

6B6A69DD-265E-4EB0-913C-B016F3C3CD91.jpeg

• Like 19

I really like seeing people’s experimental stuff. It’s a good effort!  I think the colors on the flame should be opposite. Fires are usually hottest and brightest at the base, fading to reds and blacks at the tips. Just my $0.02. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I like it!

I can't help you with OSL though, just did that once myself and I'm no expert in that.

Nightwing is right about the fires.

• Like 2

Ummmm anti-gravity fireball? Yes, that’s exactly what I meant to do!

I see what you mean. I was going for a non oxidizing flame (slow burn, lower temp) as seen on the left. Good point.

174C78D8-87F6-461D-996D-4E510D29CE68.png

63956D95-6CEA-406E-9AE1-32E67F00B750.jpeg

Edited by Redd Knekk
  • Like 6

On 12/9/2018 at 6:59 PM, Nightwing said:

I really like seeing people’s experimental stuff. It’s a good effort!  I think the colors on the flame should be opposite. Fires are usually hottest and brightest at the base, fading to reds and blacks at the tips. Just my $0.02. 

The more I look at this the more I agree with your statement. Making it hotter at the bottom gives the impression that the power is flowing directly from his hand. Selection (color mainly) is the thing I struggle with most, so good lesson learned.

Awesome work, they are very original, and you did an amazing job with the various arrangement of color you selected. I think your osl turned out well. I'm even inspired the paint a similar effect on a plate armor. The blue and green add a very interesting complement to the ensemble. My favorite part is the osl on the staff, especially on the third picture. The energy seems to be blowing from inside the orb mounted on the staff.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cosxcam
      First real attempt at object source lighting.

Model was zenithal primed and painted using glazes and inks

• By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

I recently bought some Greenstuffworld colourshift paints & eagerly wanting to try them out, I searched through my (huge) Bones backlog for a suitably metallic mini. I grabbed the fantastically ominious Iron Golem from the Bones 4 Stoneskull Expansion & got to work.

The blue areas are the colourshift paint, all the other areas are standard paints.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's not as easy to see the effect on these pics as it is with your own eyes but you can make it out. There's no shading or highlighting on these areas apart from some silver to pick out the rivets & sharp edges on the arm plates.

Thanks for looking!

• By Cyradis
      This is the end result of me trying ~2.5 sources of light for OSL. Red from magic runes below, teal from a flame in hand, and some moonlight from above.
      The character is our magic user (archivist/wizard/mystic theurge for Wee Jas), who got pretty beat up last session - but he got better. Hence title "revived". His familiar is an Aussie magpie, which was so vexing to paint, because instead of just a black bird, she has some spots. Gah!
      The character is pale, with black hair, and wears black and gray.... so I had a bit of an adventure trying to work around that too.
      The figure is a converted version of Dark Sword's Stephanie Law "Male Mage". I took it off the base and put it on a new one (I think MicroArtStudio?). I also filed off the tiny beard to make it just a little more different. I then took off the staff, and took the Bird on a Rock from that kickstarter and put it on the hand. That thing is on there with superglue, greenstuff, and prayers.
      The red OSL specifically wouldn't have been possible with my Reaper reds; that's Kimera paints. I tried Reaper Blood Red and it just wouldn't go bright enough. On the palette, it looks the same as Kimera's "The Red", but The Red is just sooooo much more vibrant. I thinned the heck out of it and started glazing it in.

Weakest point I think is the bird, but eh, that's okay.

Photos aren't perfect, but still better than what I used to get. Going to fiddle around with stuff again soon.

• By SGHawkins09
      This chaos toad was another one of my ReaperCon entries, this time in the Painter's category. As I had multiple entries in the category, only one was judged and this was not the one chosen. Even though it was not the one judged, it is one of my favorites that I have painted recently. It is a fantastic sculpt by @TaleSpinner with fun details like the shrunken head and turtle shell canteen. 

• By SGHawkins09
      This was one of my diorama entries for ReaperCon featuring miniatures from Dark Sword Miniatures. I had diorama ideas centered around the female figure occupying my mind for a while before I settled on this one. I tried a few other figures with her but nothing fit until I got the male figure and then added the wolf. I am very happy with how it came together and was very pleased that it received a Gold medal in the Diorama Category. I also was honored to receive second place diorama from Dark Sword.

• Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 170 Guests (See full list)