Sign in to follow this  
nadinbrzezinski

The clicky menace

The real menace MW:DA poses this side of the pond is the distributor thing....

Imagine this if you will. There's a chain of stores that sell minis, games and related stuff. They tend to stock everything.

So the local Black Lightning member goes up to the owner and says "can I run some CAV here please, or will you at least stock it?" So you can imagine the AO's face when the owner replies "sorry mate, but we're owned by the company that's the European distributor for MW:DA and they won't let me stock the competition".

This kinda pissed the local AO off a little, since they stocked Heavy Gear and BattleTech and Void and Dream Pod 9 stuff.

However, after some traveling around, I've found out that this is kinda common.. they're 2 gaming store chains in the UK. GW, we all know and love, is the major one but 'The Game Shop' is the other one.

My point: if anyone in the UK wants a demo or any info, lemme know. And if you know of any stores, please send me the phone number :o)

As for MW:DA itself, it ain't so bad. I won't be spending any money on it because I don't like the random collectible thing... but it was fun to play. But I'll take CAV any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Oh and Frosch, there's a word we use around here for people who pay $1000 on a game in one hit and then set them out. It's a nice word actually... 'what a muppet' :o) A company of hand painted CAV's and a 1/60th scale Dictator will cure all your ills :o)

So the local Black Lightning member goes up to the owner and says "can I run some CAV here please, or will you at least stock it?" So you can imagine the AO's face when the owner replies "sorry mate, but we're owned by the company that's the European distributor for MW:DA and they won't let me stock the competition".

Oh and Frosch, there's a word we use around here for people who pay $1000 on a game in one hit and then set them out. It's a nice word actually... 'what a muppet' :o) A company of hand painted CAV's and a 1/60th scale Dictator will cure all your ills :o)

My goodness, that would piss me off no end.  I hate monopolistic business practices, and have been burned by them many times.

And Frank, the gentleman in question would make a Muppet scarier than any I never hope to see.  He's a nice guy, but he'd be a scary muppet.

Is this person 'sad'? Because a Muppet is a sad person who is so sad it becomes unsettling and scary.

I can't say what a freakishly scary Muppet is here (although I ain't sure Kit has it blocked), but I remember you commenting on it when I used it at Origins :o)

Hi guys,

Keep in mind these are just my opinions, based on the people I've met at various click events.

I don't think click games are aiming at the same audience as other miniature companies.  Most people who play click games are looking for: Playability out of the box, no modeling skills necessary, quick games on a small playing surface, and no record sheets needed.  Almost all the players I have spoke with are not interested in fancy terrain or modeling; ask any store how much Mage Knight Metal (A non-collectable line of pewter models with new sculpts) they've sold, despite having some very cool stuff.  Oddly enough, most players aren't that hot about collectability, but deal with it.

I try to look at it this way:  Click games are opening the door of wargaming to people that otherwise wouldn't be in the hobby.  They're the "gateway drug" of wargaming, not the end-all of wargaming.  Don't worry, the younger players will graduate soon enough.

... and they're certainly better than those card games that suck up so much table space. ^_^

Later,

Jeneki that is what I keep telling people, really. These are entry level games and the only reason why Assault Officers need to know them, in particular DA, is they are the competition. CAV players also need to know them for mostly informed answers.

Oh and as is MW DA is NOT a bad game, just that I'd rather not play it for very personal reasons. Otherwise I had the force from you know where.

Now Frank let me share the two terms used by myself and my local retailer for folks who drop all they have on any game... especially in those amounts.

We have two names....

Zombies: Regardless of what you put out, they will buy it. Hell as I used to joke some years back with the lead designer for that other line... if they put out fuzzy sleepers for Mechs, they will sell. They will complaint of the quality but still buy fuzzy sleepers for Mechs 2.0 (now think of the cross over potential if they are put out for MW DA, finally my Rhino will sleep at night with nice warm footsies, and the Great Oger will be pleased.)

Drones: Almost the same, but they are the ones who spend insane ammounts of cash whether they can afford it or not does not matter. It came out, most have NOW! The zombies are still rational enough to realize that there is a limit and plastic or metal is NOT edible... no matter how hard you try to cook them in Marinara sauce.

Sadly I knew a player in the latter category who prefered to buy an Eldar Battleforce instead of saving that cash for a downpayment on an apartment.

Now that you shared Muppet, I think it falls in the Drone category...

Ah tomorrow is Comics day and I do expect to see our local Zombies and Drones for the comics division coming in... hey at times I am there just reading or doing work because every one in a while one or two will ask questions.

Nadin

I don't think click games are aiming at the same audience as other miniature companies. †Most people who play click games are looking for: Playability out of the box, no modeling skills necessary, quick games on a small playing surface, and no record sheets needed.

Agreed.  I just had my first game of Classic Btech last night, and I can see no way in Binky's Arse that MWDA would appeal to a hardcore CBT player.

My major problem with MWDA is that it's way too similar in mechanics/bookkeeping to CAV, it came out afterwards, and it's got a marketing juggernaut behind it, against, well, ME, the lone CAV demo rep in the area.

Well the thuoght of clicky itself does not make me sick since I know where they are coming from. Now the handling of the issue, how they went about it last year, some very painful personal issues with them (still alive and well or so it seems, at least on their side), and the story behind it, for personal reasons... still makes me reach for the TUMS.

Ah the joys continue to read the darn place and forget about helping the CBT community in any way, shape or form... by the way, if you still play CBT (or for that matter microarmor) here is a terrain site that might be of interest.

http://www.microfigs.com/

I know them from shinola and hey while browsing the web.

*Unsheaths the 'truth-stick'*

I'm sorry to burst people's bubbles but I know several hardcord BattleTech players who have enjoyed MW:DA and have said so in public.

And I'm eagre to give it a whirl soon as well.....

Frosch and Jer, such sweeping statements invite people like me to prove them wrong.... and they're also untrue in this case.

MW:DA has as much right to be in the marketplace as CAV does, and while some of the BattleTech community of old doesn't like what's happened, others think it's a good idea and/or think it should have happened sooner.

I still don't believe there is a 'clicky menace' in terms of gameplay and that most of the things people post in threads like this one are generally scare-mongering or simply opinions.

Who that's posted in this thread has actually played MechWarrior: Dark Age???

*Throws down gauntlet with a loud "thwack"*

I have and I have posted a fairly extensive, well several fairly extensive rules reviews with the intent that people would have a good basic understanding of the game, and its mechnanics.

Now Frank I DO HAVE reasons not to like WK, and they have NOTHING at all to do with MW DA... someday at a Con, over a beer (well you can have the beer, I will stick to my diet soda \ pop or whatever you want to call it) I will tell you why. Once you hear the reasons you will understand why I do not like WK, but it has nothing to do with what they did to "my game". It is their IP and we are merely guests...  if you want it faster, send me an email and I will surely tell you why.

That said, I have stated it before and I will state it again. MW DA is a good entry level game... it is a good beers and Pretzels game... or should it be soda and pretzels game. If it wasn't for those personal issues, which have NOTHING to do with what they did to my game or universe, I do not hold those delusions, I would gladly play it like any other game I play, to have fun. But those issues took away a lot of the fun from Tech... which for the record I still play if you want to call it that way, in an alternate time line that is so off the canon it is actually fun... but I dare not call it tech any more.

Nadin

I am not saying that Farm Tech does not have a right to be in the market.  I am just saying that I am not going to spend money on a basterdized version of a game that I have played for 10 years and that got me into gaming to begin with.

If you havent figured out by now, I havent played yet  :;):  and I dont intend to.

Frank, why've you got to be so darned reasonable?   :p

I haven't played MWDA, but I've watched, and was bored.  Having a taste of CBT, what I saw and what I played are nowhere near the same, and given my general impression of the sort of person that would be likely to be a CBT player, I cannot see how MWDA would appeal.

My opinions here are like what Jeremy just posted, except that I'm coming from having been tactically spoiled by CAV's flexibility, not 10 years of CBT.  

Yes, this is opinion.  However, this is opinion that I've thought about.  Yes, I should probably play MWDA a few times before I spout off.  I've probably picked up on some paranoia or bad blood in the industry.  So be it.  

If I'm a hypocrite, at least I'm aware of it and freely admit it.  I think all humans are, to some degree.

Your wisdom rivals my own Frosch :o)

And I have to be reasonable, because otherwise my other talents are useless. It's a long story - one for the bar next Origins.

And to answe rmy own question, I haven't played it yet but I will have by the end of the month. However I have seen the models and thought they were nice (the Stormcrow I've seen is better than the FASA one - but that's not hard) and the rules don't seem all that bad.

And the free dice are really nice :o)