Miniature Paints -Liquid Acrylics from RPE

SamuraiJack

On 12/16/2018 at 10:27 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

That's why Army Painter is the 'official' paint line for so many games - from Kings of War to Dungeons and Dragons.

They even have a link on their webpage for folks that want to license them.... (They are one of my three go to paint companies - along with Reaper and Vallejo.)

The Auld Grump

And that also works against them because some of those lines, like Shadows of Brimstone and D&D, have unique paints.

And the paint naming conventions are so far apart from each other that they needed a spreadsheet to show what paint is what.

There are better ways of doing it. Not against the licensing, just the way they are doing it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish there were some a little less standard paints. I have base colours coming out of ears... 

By far my favourite paints are reaper paints because they never ever dry shiny on me. Sadly hard to get here in the UK without paying a fortune in shipping, tax and handling fee D:

My paints, in complete or nearly complete collections, are Reaper, Scale 75, and Vallejo.  Though I am starting to pick up some Army Painter bottles.

I look for "paintability" first.  Does the paint work well with my process of adding extender and flow-aid and water -- so that it flows and is controllable per my painting process.  But paintability is not necessarily uniform throughout a line of paints ... individual colors have different characteristics.  A big factor is how well the bottle is mixed ... which makes a paint shaker important.  Another is how old the paint is ... older paints don't seem to thin as well and, if separated, sometimes can't really be unseparated. 

Then it is all about color.  I got started on Scale 75 when I saw an orange that was gorgeous and I just had to have it.  And now I have most of the Scale 75 paints.  Although I find that Reaper is the most paintable acrylic I use (seems to keep in the bottle very well), and Vallejo is the least, I can work around the characteristics of each paint to work with colors I like.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 3:10 PM, ladystorm said:

Because you aren't shopping on the UK side of the Reaper website.  We ship from Nottingham where our UK warehouse is located.

https://beta.reapermini.com/

Thanks for the link! I was pretty sure last time I ordered that wasn't available...though to be fair that was a good while before the last Kickstarter  delivery so probably 2 years ago. That makes me very happy indeed.

Edited by Glamberry
  • Like 1

I have the full range of Miniature Paints by Gamecraft from the late 90s. Most of them are still viable and I use some of them now and then.

They are very similar (identical in smell and ...taste... as the old round pot citadel flip-lid paints from the 80s and 90s.

However, I also find that most of the newer paints by Citadel, Vallejo, Scalecolor and Reaper are better, and I tend to prefer the newer paints. The old citadels and gamecraft etc that I have do not have as good coverage, does not dilute as well and all that.

I do not know if what this KS is selling is exactly the same though, or if they have modernized the formula or not. I will probably be picking up a few just to satisfy my curiosity about this.