"Being Schooled", BatRep Kinda...

"Being Schooled", in the "Old School..." ::D:

Yes, that is what happened last night, by a few of our own here on the boards.

Kamut, Schooled me on the tactic of "Long Balling" someone... ("Long Balling" is a Paintball term, meaning shooting the enemy with long ranged shots and their shots fall short and are ineffective.)

He shot at me, and I didn't have any defensive shots back... Great Tactic!!!

I want 3 Dictator 70s now!!!!!

Basically, they would become Section / Squad Leaders for my Mercs.

I pulled the Defender position in the mission.

I fielded:

Section #1, RECON/ Security Forces for the Mission.

1 Rhino

3 Dictators

Section #2, Broke Down / Stranded Dog Face, Ground Pounders.

2 HedgeHogs

2 bases of Hvy Infantry w/ Hvy Weapons

I believe, he fielded:

Section#1

1 Dictator 70

2 Starhawk Vs

1 Regent, I think it was...

Section#2

1 Badger

3 Bases of Light Infantry

Well, in a Nut Shell he laid into my Forces at range, and made me chase him like a Cat chasing a Mouse..

I popped his Badger and made his Ground Pounders hump it across the Battlefield.

I gave his Dictator 70 a Thumping 1 turn, but not enough to make it useless. I gave it a point of damage and Kamut gave it 2 Points by Over driving it.

He destroyed 1 Hedgehog and 2 Dictators. :unsure:

I did manage to rescue 1 group of Ground Pounders, (They escaped)...

The other group lost it's ride, but managed to stay alive. :B):

Lesson Learned: :down:

- Spread my Forces out a little more.

- The Rhino CAV is a hard Hitting unit, but is a huge Point Sink, and is great, if you have range.

- Rhino is a great "Enemy Fire Magnet", it can handle taking shots from the enemy, PUT IT OUT IN FRONT!!!

- Instead of spending points on Uber CAVs... Upgrade Lighter/ Faster CAVs to make them a Force to be reckoned with...

- Shoot the enemy at range, and use my Dictators like they were made to be used. They are meant to shoot the enemy at longer ranges and they duck back into cover.

GREAT GAME KAMUT!! Hope to see ya next week too!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was quite pleased with the gaming last night, but I was a bit disappointed that Bruticus wasn't there. I'm trying to get in touch with him to set up a Make-up game for later this week or early next week, since I chose to be the odd man out last night.

There was some great gaming going on last night. I get the feeling Silent Jon is going to be a force to be reckoned with. He smeared all kinds of Kevin bits all over the table. It was almost painful to watch.

Did I mention the Updated Standingsare posted?

thanks for the vote of confidence (blushes)

Honestly, I was just revolving around the Rhino, staying away from him until I was ready to take him.

Don't feel bad, Wife was teasing me on the way home about my decision for the Regent to go after that formation of Dictators instead of the infantry. Just wanted to whittle the Dictators down a bit before trying to engage at closer range.

Take the suggestions from Frank Vickers on the Dictators, strip the IFM, and possibly the other missile pack, add an Armor upgrade, and speed upgrade, and they'll be more effective for your style of play.

Great game!

I might be around on Saturday!

Longballing as you call it... or "outranging" is such a grin inducing tactic for the player using it, especially when damage is dealt to the target.

Obviously the '70 Dictator is LETHAL with its GKW 14 weapons and I've seen these models repeatedly destroy super heavies when used by a player with the ability to triangulate ranges well. Of course, there's also that crowd that somehow derive from the rules, despite it not clearly stating that premeasuring is legal and those shot declarations should never miss out on outranging shots. But I digress.

Other units that are great for outranging:

Tsuisekis = 48 inches... and if you strip the PBG you have cheaper hard target snipers.

Kharls = 48 inches... same as Tsuisekis but vs. soft targets. Drop the heavy DFM and add armor upgrade.

Mastodons = 40 inches and a lethal weapon on all 7 DT's.

Sovereigns = 48 inches... only +3 vs. Hard targets but combined with a target lock (and improved TL system @ +4) then you're firing +7 or +8 missiles.

Obviously there's a few others but these are my favorites for outranging.

As for your other lessons learned SuMicus... I've got similar beliefs:

1. Quantity of good stock units are almost always better than fewer upgraded units. I've yet to lose when I have this advantage.

2. Spreading forces... uh, yeah, definitely good idea... keeps the template dropping units at minimal effectiveness.

3. Rhino... (love-hate relationship). We know why we love the Rhino, but I have circumvented the problem of a slow mover trying desperately to line up shots with all that direct fire weaponry. The answer... instead waiting for the Emperor to be released, I just dropped the 2 DFM's off the Rhino, added a KDM Ghost IFM and had enough points left over to upgrade the TL and ECM systems and still came out cheaper than a standard Rhino. I've played it with an armor, +2 MV, and WSO upgrade also, and this unit ABSOLUTELY ROCKS THE BOARD!!! The love-hate feelings I had for the Rhino are now love-love.

BTW... IMHO judging by the force rosters you listed, it looks like you just drew an unfortunate matchup of your units versus his units. Sometimes that's just very difficult to overcome. Although I've never been convinced of heavy infantry. Just don't seem like they're worth their points in any way shape or form. Infantry gotta stay cheap as possible.

Honestly, I was just revolving around the Rhino, staying away from him until I was ready to take him.

Oh yes... yes indeed, this is the way to play. Just avoid the slow moving uber CAV and take out the rest of the force. Eventually there'll by a numbers advantage for you and just a single Rhino left to fight. Unless of course you have my Rhino variant. I often ignore certain units that theoretically shouldn't be ignored because it renders them useless for the opponent if I constantly outmanuever them. Usually it means a lot of points tied up in a single CAV that are just wasted.

Honestly, you would cry if you knew how many King Rhino's I put down, with units most people would say are inferior. Numbers are meaningless, that +8, or +12 with target lock is worthless if it can't touch me.

I go by the general premise, if you need to move more than 24 inches to get those big guns in range, its a waste of points, try a Starhawk VI instead.

Me have no issues spending points on a some units, others I use stock (usually 6dts or more). A lot of my upgraded units like our Redhawk Bravos, although a little more expensive eat up stock units, especially on a larger table;. This can be negated by bounding from cover to cover, but think about it; where are my guns usaully covering?

In the military this is like marking deadspace for artillery, I tend to use range to cover those areas, cause thats where the enemy will be, right?

We do premeasure, and I have no issues with it. in fact I suggest it for newer players especially.

BTW... IMHO judging by the force rosters you listed, it looks like you just drew an unfortunate matchup of your units versus his units.  Sometimes that's just very difficult to overcome.  Although I've never been convinced of heavy infantry.  Just don't seem like they're worth their points in any way shape or form.  Infantry gotta stay cheap as possible.

Oops, I forgot one other thing...

When the Order of Turn cards were shuffled and redealt... Kamut had 2 Back to back turns... dealing me some serious damage...

If I would have had that luck... both of my Targeted needing Rescued Units, (the Infantry Squads) would have easily made it to safety...

In all reality, the Hvy Infantry w/ it's Transport, was a very very sound selection on my Part. Reason being, if I would have taken light Infantry like others showing last night... 1/2 of my Infantry would not have made it to safety, because 2 Infantry and 2 APCs...

If it would have been light, I would have only had 1 Transport... Kamut did target 1 of my APCs and successfully destroyed one...

Don't feel bad, Wife was teasing me on the way home about my decision for the Regent to go after that formation of Dictators instead of the infantry.

Never, I don't get worked up over losing... Because I do it sooooooooo well... and I try to look good while losing HAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Ok, well not me, but my Minis...LOL!!! You can only make a Scarey Gamer, scarier...hehehheeeeeee... Thank God For SHARPIES!!

I will have, errrrrrrrrrrr... I mean our League will be having Photos soon... I (We) want to have our Gaming System/ CAV, put on our Hosting Store's Webpage!!!

Oops, I forgot one other thing...

When the Order of Turn cards were shuffled and redealt... Kamut had 2 Back to back turns... dealing me some serious damage...

Well now, that makes a big difference... I played a game where IMO the ONLY reason I lost was because the other player was LUCKY enough to get 3 of the first 4 initiative cards FOR 4 TURNS IN A ROW!!! Despite the balancing factor of defensive fire, there's just NO making up for losing that much initiative.

Ehhhh... Humor???

He laughs about this... LOL!!!

Sounds like a reason for a re-match...HAAAAAA!!!!

KAMUT,

I am gearing up also to get a tape like you use also...

It makes trudging through terrain a little better... and keep my stiff tape Rule for figuring shooting ranges.

LOL, yeah its from the poke mech starter kit, I thought it was pretty cool.

I'll be around on Saturday, hopefully we can play the reverse scenario.

it was a good game none the less, and believe me brother, I learned a few things myself. we'll see next game.

Edit; Next scenario, I think my wife wants to do, she has a little more aggressive style than I do, so she'll certainly brawl. If she does, she'll probably have a BL Dictator on the table. gotta check with Erion on that. If we can find a baby sitter, I'll jump in again.

@ Erion; count Lesley as her own, that way we can settle a grudge match at some point.