Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Hobby Holder 2 - The World's Most Versatile Painting Handle and Grip Returns!

I got two of the original holders on the first Kickstarter. I absolutely love using them. Unfortunately for the creator, there are plans/files for similar holders now available to print with my 3D printer. I would love to see the creator of these get more business, but it's not in the cards for me at this time.

• Like 1

I'm sure if I got one of these, I'd love it, but at that price I just cant help but think it's a bit too steep for what it is, I currently stick my WIPs to wooden thread spools, which are cheap- but also I have about 10 and they've done me pretty well so far. If they did .STL files for a reasonable price I'd probably be more interested as lots of my friends/players are getting 3d printers lately...

• Like 1

Yes, I would love to buy .stl files for these pieces. I love the two Hobby Holders that I have. I have a hard time justifying buying small plastic parts like this when I can now print them. I would be happy to license the files though.

Ooooh, I'm having a tough time deciding between whether I'll want red, or orange for mine...  Those are some nice looking colours in the most recent update (#5) 

• Like 1

I noticed silver is not unlocked yet. I have one set in silver, one set in black and a spare base in red from the original KS project.

FYI, I asked Kit of he could license the .stl files and received this reply.

Hi Mike!

Thanks for supporting Game Envy and I am glad you are enjoying your Hobby Holders! Unfortunately since the entire Hobby Holder system is patent pending we can't release the native files.

Hopefully this means that once the patent is confirmed, he will license these for self printing.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2018 at 10:44 AM, RouterMike said:

Unfortunately for the creator, there are plans/files for similar holders now available to print with my 3D printer. 

Definitely unfortunate for the creator, but not surprising these days.  Lots of clever ideas result in imitations online pretty quickly these days, especially in our hobby.   On the upside for the creator, so far I've only found one that's close to as nice as his is. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 3:02 PM, kristof65 said:

Definitely unfortunate for the creator, but not surprising these days.  Lots of clever ideas result in imitations online pretty quickly these days, especially in our hobby.   On the upside for the creator, so far I've only found one that's close to as nice as his is. 

This is true but there is less incentive to copy when the original is reasonably priced.  Everyone is allowed their own opinion, but when you are charging more than Games Workshop for something with less production costs, I think you may be charging too much.

If these were in the 8-15 dollar range they would be reasonable.  higher pricing is for exclusivity or intentionally lowered production (He may not be able to produce a million units and therefore wants to maximize profits on what he can produce) 

I will stick with my pill bottles (with my health issues, i have enough of them :) ) dowels and double sided tape.  But i wish him well and maybe with volume will come prices that I feel I can afford.

• Like 3

Why do you think the production costs are less for Games workshop? Sometimess Iim just willing to pay more to support the little guy. It seems that some of the best innovations in our hobby come from Mom and pop operations and I feel that’s it worth paying a little more to keep them around and innovating.

• Like 4

I tried this out at PAX Unplugged. They had the basic set available for purchase. I was not impressed. If your thumbs are too flexible you won't be impressed either.

They're not rakshasa compatible :down:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

This is true but there is less incentive to copy when the original is reasonably priced.  Everyone is allowed their own opinion, but when you are charging more than Games Workshop for something with less production costs, I think you may be charging too much.

If these were in the 8-15 dollar range they would be reasonable.  higher pricing is for exclusivity or intentionally lowered production (He may not be able to produce a million units and therefore wants to maximize profits on what he can produce) 

I will stick with my pill bottles (with my health issues, i have enough of them :) ) dowels and double sided tape.  But i wish him well and maybe with volume will come prices that I feel I can afford.

The GW ones aren’t the same for mine. There is no finger bar for starters and you can’t swap the caps on and off the GW one.

As for less production costs, GW would have massive economies of scale savings compared to this one-man operation.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

The GW ones aren’t the same for mine. There is no finger bar for starters and you can’t swap the caps on and off the GW one.

As for less production costs, GW would have massive economies of scale savings compared to this one-man operation.

Right. Also, these are made in the US, instead of China. That's bound to raise the manufacturing cost. They are priced a bit high to be competitive with Citadel holders, but they're quite a bit cheaper than the Rathcore Grips.

• Like 5