Papercraft Sail Ships

Weird-O

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zink ...the outfit that makes them calls them 1:900 scale. That is one inch equals 75 feet. So a 74 gun ship that was 225 feet long would scale down to 3 inches. 

But I suppose the size would depend on how big the file was printed?

http://www.warartisan.com/ships/1900_scale_ships. Link goes to a free 64 gun ship model, so maybe since nothing’s for sale it doesn’t break any Forum rules. I hope. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

176 years ago today, the sloop Austin and brig Wharton of the Republic of Texas Navy set sail and engaged Mexican steam-powered ironclads loaded with brand-new explosive shells. By the time the battle was done, the Mexican ships were forced back to port, and would not set out again for the remainder of the campaign. It is the ONLY time in history that sail beat steam.

20190516_065018~2.jpg

20190516_065106~2.jpg

20190516_065206~2.jpg

• Like 8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Dan d'Lyon
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firelockgames/oak-and-iron?ref=profile_starred

“The enemy fleet brings its guns to bear as your captains await your command. Yet you hold your course even as fear threatens to test your mettle. You know the broadside you are poised to receive will be returned in kind, and with a single cunning maneuver your fleet will gain the weather gauge. The wooden behemoths creak and groan as the wind pushes them into position. With one sharp word the sky blackens with the smoke of canon fire. The battle begins!”   

Oak & Iron is a 1/600th scale naval game set in the age of piracy, imperial expansion, and above all - fighting sail. It allows players to recreate battles between squadrons and small fleets of armed sailing ships. The game is designed to be true to the theme and tactics of the period while supplying significant flavor for the various factions. Players of Oak & Iron can expect to find all the usual design hallmarks fans of Firelock Games have come to know and love:  innovative rules, historical integrity, and beautiful models. 
      The starting point for the game is the Oak & Iron: Core Box below.  We have included everything that you will need to play right out of this box, including six starting factions and a large amount of customization options for your squadrons and individual ships. We have done our best to add as much stuff to the Core Box as we could, but larger orders with manufacturers means less cost. A savings which we in-turn pass on to our backers through stretch goals. With this Kickstarter, our hope is to add an even greater value to the Core Box over the course of this campaign and launch a game that we will support with new releases for years to come. 

• By Weird-O
      Along other things, i enjoy painting and gaming with 1/2400-scale modern naval craft. Here's my US Navy contingent thus far. Lake Erie, Carney, Ramage, and Samuel B Roberts are from GHQ, the rest are from Viking Forge.

Up next are the Russians. All the surface combatants are from GHQ, the Kuznetsov and subs are Viking Forge, and the Mitrofan Moskalenko is from Shapeways.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Well then - here we are. After I don't know how many hours (maybe 60?) and a few to dry - here's what I made in this WIP thread. ->Let's make a present! Hanseatic League Sea Traffic Control Center<-

It came out pretty nicely - only thing I am a bit unhappy with is the glowing effect I tried to do. My first one. I guess I've got to work on that. Anyway. Here we go:

(Sign can be literally translated as 'issued')

• By Froggy the Great
      Ok, so lately I've been playing Osprey's "Fighting Sail" game and making cardstock ships for it.  I love the meditative aspects of making the ships and knowing each batch of 6 will take about 4 days from start to finish, and how I don't have to paint them when I'm done.

Here are some in-game shots from several different games, and then a group shot:

All ships are PDF kits from War Artisan.  The ocean is 12" squares of cracked ice troffer lens available at Lowe's, backed with water-print fabric from Hobby Lobby.  The bases are 1" strips of the same plastic, cut using the same techniques as work with stained glass.

I chose to omit the halyards and backstays from the rigging as I am a gamer not a sailor, and I couldn't get the tension right on the three ships I tried.
    • By Rob Dean
      I need to to take a village with me to Huzzah in Maine in two weeks, to use in a 40mm Renaissance game. My collaborator and I have used somewhat underscale
      buildings for 40mm battle games before, so I thought this would be a good excuse to get some Fold-flat buildings from Fat Dragon done. 

The building on the left is a basic 4x4
      square, which I built a year or so back. The three stir one on the right is new today. Some of my 40s are here to give
      me an idea whether this looks right. 

Here's a view of the bigger one, each story extending a bit more...

Once I had warmed up, doing another 4x4 small building, with a slightly different layer
      choice in the printing, only took about 45 minutes. 

I've three more already printed out today, so I'm hoping to get this finished this weekend. 6 should be enough for this game...
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)