Corsair

Masking tape on Reaper paint?

Okay, I have a project coming up involving stripes on a CAV. Assuming I have cleaned and prepped properly, will Reaper paint hold with using masking tape?

Assuming you're talking painter's style masking tape, I would guess that it should.   Based on my experience with painting walls, I'd let the base layer cure for 24-48 hours first.

• Like 3

A trick I learned in my  scale model days was to put the masking tape on your forehead before applying it to the model.  The oil from your head will reduce the adhesive enough to hold the tape in place, but not leave it so tacky that it will pull up the paint.  As LittleBluberry said, make sure to let your paint cure before applying the tape.

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bloodhowl said:

A trick I learned in my  scale model days was to put the masking tape on your forehead before applying it to the model.  The oil from your head will reduce the adhesive enough to hold the tape in place, but not leave it so tacky that it will pull up the paint.  As LittleBluberry said, make sure to let your paint cure before applying the tape.

putting it on your pants will work to take the tack down enough to not make it stick. Regular masking tape should work to, as I did that for my Graphic design final last year.

• Like 3

There are types of masking tape specifically made for painting models...   

Alo, look for the thin plastic sheets used for peel-off stencils by airbrush artists.

• Like 4

Thanks guys, I am planning on using the good blue tape by Scotch. The suggestions you have made are very helpful, thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

...putting it on your pants will work to take the tack down enough to not make it stick. ...

Lint.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3