Sign in to follow this  
Pancakeonions

OK Reaper experts, help me build a Nightstalker warband (Kings of War Vanguard)

Hey fellow nerds!

So I've got a few of the new Nightstalker minis from Mantic games, and I love 'em, for the most part, but would also love to add some diversity and fun to the mix.  They're all pretty weird, distinctive minis, so I'm not sure what Reaper Minis might have to mix in (and how I'd even begin to search for something...), so I thought I'd turn to the collective knowledge base for help!

Here's what the Mantic Nightstalker starter warband looks like: 

Image result for mantic night stalkers

I love the shadow-hounds (along the bottom of the pic), but they're the same pose.  Does Reaper have anything like 'em?

I'm not a huge fan of the scarecrow guys (called, wouldn't ya know it, "scarecrows") with the goofy hats.  They're approximately humanoid sized.  Does Reaper have any creepy "slender men" who look very spooky and otherworldly, and might fit in as scarecrows without goofy hats?

I love the Reapers (the eyeless humanoid sized alien things with spike-arms growing out of their backs - not to be confused with Reaper Minis!), and there's a "boss" version called a Reaper Souldrinker.  Mantic has thus far just painted up a Reaper differently to use as a Souldrinker.  Does Reaper have anything creepy to serve as a boss-man Reaper?  I have a few Tyranid bits (claws and such from Games Workshop) that I could use to make him all fancy.  What might you recommend?

The Butchers are pretty rad (The two big, three-armed guys at the top there).  Not sure I need another.  Does Reaper Minis have anything similar?

And I'm not super in love with the horrors (there are two in the picture, big mouths with purple smoke/energy surrounding them, directly above the Shadow-Hounds).  What sort of ghost/ horror/ weirdness might Reaper Minis have?

And I'm also not a huge fan of the Phantom (the eyeless purple ghost-y thing; one is next to a horror, one is at the top of the photo, between the two butchers).  Any good, creepy ghosts?  Games Workshop has a lot of new, neat ghost type figures, but I thought I'd try here first.  Any recommendations? 

Not shown are spectres (fire-bolt spitting ghosts - the Mantic figure is pretty meh), needlefangs (40mm based swarms of unsubtantial teeth, eyes, and nastiness.  I don't have this figure, I don't think it's out yet, but it looks rad!).  I like the mindscreetch (a big, weird looking floating brain), a Shade (creepy looking mouth-eyes nasty.  Looks cool!), a banshee (odd female-ish model with a mouth where the head should be.  Not sure I like it...)

Anyway, anyone else playing around with these figures?  What do you think?  What are you swapping in for which figures?  Thanks! 

• Like 3

On the one hand, I'd guess that doing Nightstalkers with reaper models would be quite doable.  On the other hand, it might not be too easy to find models that match Mantic's stuff closely.

How about a Bathalian for a souldrinker?  

80038_w_1.jpg

Maybe Cerberus could lead the shadow hounds?

03423_w_2.jpg

Nightspecter or Ghost Queen for a horror?

14182_jb.jpg02149_w_1.jpg

I would search the store for scarecrow, horror, alien, ghost.

• Like 2

scare crows: how about 80059, he's a scarecrow built over a skelleton

60033, the skinshaw man might also work

reapers: 50288 + some nid arms maybe?

ghosts: 77369 shadow, molded in purple transluscent.  or 77098 for a different ghost in green

The Horror looks better than that picture makes it look.

But a winged morbid angel might work in its place, not just ghosties.

This guy

77325_w_1.jpg

Or this guy

03194_G.jpg

• Like 1