Sylverthorne

Caravan to Reapercon 2019

11 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Depending on scheduling, I may take you up on that, since we're just 13.5 miles east of I-35

We always drive down on Tuesday, stay the night at a hotel in OK, then finish the trip on Wednesday Morning.  On the way home we drive to KS Sunday night, stay there, then drive the rest on Monday.

• Like 1

Lost my message... *sigh* Anyway, trains. We're looking at 96 hours in transit, going WA --> CA --> IL --> TX (can you say long way around?), for the low, low price of $1600 per traveller... I miss the European rail network right now.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

We always drive down on Tuesday, stay the night at a hotel in OK, then finish the trip on Wednesday Morning.  On the way home we drive to KS Sunday night, stay there, then drive the rest on Monday.

A few friends and I leave from KC on Tues and do the same. Though, the last two years we've left early enough to drive into Denton and stay there at a motel. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

It will depend on if it's just me, or if my son goes as well. If he goes, he has to miss school, and I'll minimize the days we're gone and probably drive down on Thursday like we did this year. That depends on his grades this year. 

If it's just me, I'm definitely interested in making a caravan work, because that's a long lonely drive by yourself. 

• Like 2

Just hope the lead driver is not like Jerry in the Seinfeld episode where he loses George because he is bobbing and weaving through cars on the way out to visit the bubble boy.  When driving...I am Jerry so remember that if you ever need to follow me somewhere while in town. :)

• Like 2

As long as everyone knows where the day's end point (and specific mid-point stops?) is supposed to be, I don't see that as a problem; the theory is that we keep in touch via *insert device here* and take shameless advantage of GPS tech. 'Cause, y'know, why wouldn't you, if you have access?

Anyway. It looks like we might have a couple of caravans starting to form? I call that good progress. ^^;

Okay. I have a rough list:

WA -> TX

MN -> TX

IA -> TX

Expect edits, I'm poor at organizing... ;p

(and I'm probably going to be quoting myself a lot, oh well).

Edited by Sylverthorne
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Depending on scheduling, I may take you up on that, since we're just 13.5 miles east of I-35

If this does happen, I might hook up with you guys somewhere around KC or OKC

• Like 3

This got me curious.

I was surprised to see that from my home to Denton, it's also roughly 2000miles, 31 hours driving.

Still, I have frequent flyer miles just for ReaperCon, so flying expenses are kept to a minimum. Besides, I prefer two days of round trip travel instead of needing a whole week.

• Like 5

When I attend ReaperCon I drive from the Detroit area.  I enjoy road trips and driving, so it's never a problem for me.  And it does allow me to bring down whatever I like and bring back whatever I purchase easily.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2018 at 7:47 PM, Cranky Dog said:

This got me curious.

I was surprised to see that from my home to Denton, it's also roughly 2000miles, 31 hours driving.

Still, I have frequent flyer miles just for ReaperCon, so flying expenses are kept to a minimum. Besides, I prefer two days of round trip travel instead of needing a whole week.

A road trip from the Northeast to Denton would be fun, and there are a bunch of people who could potentially join in on the way, but I just can't justify taking an extra 3-4 days off of work for travel, when JetBlue can have me on the ground at DFW in under 5 hours.

Maybe some day when I'm retired. :unsure:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, klarg1 said:

A road trip from the Northeast to Denton would be fun, and there are a bunch of people who could potentially join in on the way, but I just can't justify taking an extra 3-4 days off of work for travel, when JetBlue can have me on the ground at DFW in under 5 hours.

Maybe some day when I'm retired. :unsure:

I've had dreams of winning the lottery and chartering a tour bus to bring the New England crew (and anyone along the way) to RCon and back.  Might be too bumpy to paint, but games should be fine.

• Like 6