Jump to content

Sylverthorne

Caravan to Reapercon 2019

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, aturriff said:

Hovercraft. In case of a lottery win, definitely hovercraft.

 

Self driving hovercraft so we can paint or nap on the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keianna said:
18 hours ago, aturriff said:

Hovercraft. In case of a lottery win, definitely hovercraft.

 

Self driving hovercraft so we can paint or nap on the way.

 

 Pie in the sky, guys, pie in the sky. Best we've got right now is still on wheels. :rolleyes:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, no hovercraft. I did have the opportunity to sit down and beat out a tentative route Sylverthorne and I are going to take; any input is welcome. So far, I am thinking to break the trip up in roughly 500 mile stages. This comes out to roughly an 8-hour drive each day provided nothing goes wrong, which should leave enough time for fuel, food, driver change and "oooh, I want to see that!" breaks. This sets our roadmap to

  1. Mountain Home, ID (about 100 miles or so past Boise)
  2. Warmsutter, WY (seems to be in the middle of nowhere, might have to make this leg to Rock Springs, WY instead, depending on what a web search turns up)
  3. Clayton, NM by way of Denver, CO (a side trip because we have friends there)
  4. Denton, TX

Is there anyone else from the NW planning to make the run by car? Does anyone know any of these general areas (or the stretches in between) and can recommend places to see, places to avoid, where the good food and clean lodgings are? I haven't yet vetted this plan for rush hours in metropolitan areas (particularly a concern for legs 2 and 3, due to Salt Lake City and Denver being on the way); anything else I should give thought to?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, my demon spawn will not be able to travel down until Friday, but I will still be attending on Wednesday so a road trip down is completely doable for me. 

 

Based on your tentative route, you will be passing either through my location or will be extremely close (within an hour drive). We would also be passing through @haldir's stomping grounds, so there is the potential of stopping to say hi since he isn't able to attend this year.

 

Would there be the potential for someone to have room for luggage? If so, then I would love to be able to ride my motorcycle down as part of the caravan. The only drawback to riding would be the need to stop for fuel every 150 +/- miles.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, aturriff said:

So, no hovercraft. I did have the opportunity to sit down and beat out a tentative route Sylverthorne and I are going to take; any input is welcome. So far, I am thinking to break the trip up in roughly 500 mile stages. This comes out to roughly an 8-hour drive each day provided nothing goes wrong, which should leave enough time for fuel, food, driver change and "oooh, I want to see that!" breaks. This sets our roadmap to

  1. Mountain Home, ID (about 100 miles or so past Boise)
  2. Warmsutter, WY (seems to be in the middle of nowhere, might have to make this leg to Rock Springs, WY instead, depending on what a web search turns up)
  3. Clayton, NM by way of Denver, CO (a side trip because we have friends there)
  4. Denton, TX

Is there anyone else from the NW planning to make the run by car? Does anyone know any of these general areas (or the stretches in between) and can recommend places to see, places to avoid, where the good food and clean lodgings are? I haven't yet vetted this plan for rush hours in metropolitan areas (particularly a concern for legs 2 and 3, due to Salt Lake City and Denver being on the way); anything else I should give thought to?

 

  1. I'd probably do Twin Falls, ID instead of Mountain Home. There's nothing much to see in Mountain Home unless you have a military ID card.
  2. Wamsutter, WY is in fact the middle of nowhere. If you're going on I-80, I'd look at Rock Springs or Rawlins. But I'd be really tempted to take US-6 from SLC down to I-70 and drive through Colorado instead of Wyoming. The Wyoming drive is relatively quick (for the distance, anyway), but it's high plains and high desert. Unless you really like that (I like it well enough, but I don't really like it), the Utah-Colorado drive is much prettier. If you go that way, I-70, US-50, and US-160 are all pretty drives.
  3. Once you get to Raton, NM, Clayton is as good a way as any to get to Amarillo and then on (down US-287) to Denton. (Be careful of your speed on 287).
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TripleH I cannot speak to availability of luggage space yet, that depends on other plans falling or not falling into place (among other things).

 

@Doug Sundseth I was looking at that WY run and wondering. I'll certainly give some thought to cutting across the mountains instead, I am a mountain kid.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be interested in this; I live just south of Tripleh so y'all would be swinging through my neighborhood anyways, so to speak. I would need to discuss it with MrBoot. 

 

If I do end up coming, I haz a minivan, so plenty of space to haul cargo and/or peoples. ^_^

 

EDIT: Ooh I just realized, if I did join the caravan, I'd be able to bring big entry pieces, as well as lots more paints and stuff. Hmm....

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OneBoot Your edit would be why Sylverthorne is not vetoing the idea, I think. I'l post a revised itinerary once I know a bit more about the pieces that still need to settle in place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, aturriff said:

Does anyone know any of these general areas (or the stretches in between) and can recommend places to see, places to avoid, where the good food and clean lodgings are? I haven't yet vetted this plan for rush hours in metropolitan areas (particularly a concern for legs 2 and 3, due to Salt Lake City and Denver being on the way); anything else I should give thought to?

 

Metro rush hours for Denver would be the normally expected times, 6-8 & 4-6. For the return trip, I would certainly try to time it so you aren't hitting CS during the afternoon rush, as that gets miserable at times (the 45 minute drive once took us four hours due to weather, crashes, and Thanksgiving Sunday). South of CS, you're golden.

 

The mountain resorts west of Raton have been my stomping grounds since being a toddler. Alpine areas, mountain lakes, dramatic cliffs. I've done a post for a certain sparkly wolf as reward for his pictures and it covers the area (LINK) but it would add about a half day or more to your drive. Taos has southwestern artists and the pueblo (lowercase).

 

Heading from Clayton to Denton will have you going through Dumas and Amarillo. Palo Duro Canyon is nearby, yet living my whole childhood in that area (OK panhandle), I've never been. Then after Amarillo I'm no help and have only been on the road to the con since then.

 

Clayton to Denton can be done in one go for sure, so you might try making that the last leg of the trip. Wife and I will be doing south Denver to the con on Wednesday in one long drive.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should probably stretch Denver rush hour from 5-9am and 3-7pm. Colorado sees a lot of long distance commuters coming from both Colorado Springs and Ft Collins so traffic builds up quite quickly on I-25 early in the morning. Our population growth rate combined means our highways tend to stay at max capacity for longer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 2:14 PM, TaleSpinner said:

 

We always drive down on Tuesday, stay the night at a hotel in OK, then finish the trip on Wednesday Morning.  On the way home we drive to KS Sunday night, stay there, then drive the rest on Monday.

ReaperCon is looking less and less likely for me. 

  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, TripleH said:

At this point, my demon spawn will not be able to travel down until Friday, but I will still be attending on Wednesday so a road trip down is completely doable for me. 

 

Based on your tentative route, you will be passing either through my location or will be extremely close (within an hour drive). We would also be passing through @haldir's stomping grounds, so there is the potential of stopping to say hi since he isn't able to attend this year.

 

Would there be the potential for someone to have room for luggage? If so, then I would love to be able to ride my motorcycle down as part of the caravan. The only drawback to riding would be the need to stop for fuel every 150 +/- miles.

Check some of the Long Distance Motorcycle Riders websites for info on an auxiliary fuel tank setup.

GEM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, TripleH said:

Based on your tentative route, you will be passing either through my location or will be extremely close (within an hour drive). We would also be passing through @haldir's stomping grounds, so there is the potential of stopping to say hi since he isn't able to attend this year.

 

Depending on when the caravan pass through here, I may or may not be asleep,  ha ha. If it's a Monday, then most likely I will be, due to I work Sunday night to Monday morning. I come home & sleep as much as I can (thou I usually wake up around 2 for some reason) due to Mondays are game night & I won't get any sleep till I come home on Tuesday morning. Tuesday I'm good even thou I work that night.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My route planning is starting to take serious shape. Feel free to take this wild idea apart.

 

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/25141160

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aturriff said:

My route planning is starting to take serious shape. Feel free to take this wild idea apart.

 

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/25141160 

 

Looked it over. Only thing that raised an eyebrow is stopping at Memphis rather than Childress, but then I remembered the flies from two years ago. Yeah, Memphis is fine.

 

About the only other thing I can suggest is to be sure to watch your speed coming from Colorado to New Mexico. It's a big change, and they like to catch you coming down the pass!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×