Sign in to follow this  
Sylverthorne

Caravan to Reapercon 2019

Mr. Thorne did some math, involving flight tickets and car rentals, and apparently, other than time spent on the road, it's cheaper for us to drive to Reapercon. While we're still debating logistics, I figure... well, if anyone feels like they want to start building a caravan, now is probably a good time to discuss that. We would be starting out of WA; actual route kind of still TBA.

Safety in groups is still a decent traveler's mantra, after all.

(If I managed to get this in the wrong thread, move as needed; I'll find it again eventually. ^^; )

• Like 5

Ooo, tempting. I'm also from WA (Seattle area), and my wife hates flying. I have yet to make it to ReaperCon, but hope to make it in 2019.

• Like 1

Also in the Seattle area, and internet maps inform me that its about a 36 hour drive each way.  I don't see it happening.  However, with the con in a hotel I could theoretically eliminate the rental car.  We'll see what happens this year, the men of the family like to go to PAX.  Maybe I can fly solo.  

EDIT:  Thought I should clarify that I don't see MYSELF driving that far.  You guys go for it if you're into it!

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 2

The trick is, of course, that the airports are nowhere near the hotel; while it's not a long drive (from Love Field, anyway; I'unno what it'd like like from Dallas), I wouldn't be willing to swear there's a shuttle. .. that having been said, I expect to see ride-sharing threads go up any day now.. ^^;

Anyway, it seemed like not a terrible idea; a little mini-con on wheels isn't a horrible notion, eh?

I can't get the @ thing to work, or I'd drag Mr. Thorne kicking and complaining into the thread...

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

The trick is, of course, that the airports are nowhere near the hotel; while it's not a long drive (from Love Field, anyway; I'unno what it'd like like from Dallas), I wouldn't be willing to swear there's a shuttle. .. that having been said, I expect to see ride-sharing threads go up any day now.. ^^;

Anyway, it seemed like not a terrible idea; a little mini-con on wheels isn't a horrible notion, eh?

I can't get the @ thing to work, or I'd drag Mr. Thorne kicking and complaining into the thread...

I have this image of meal stops including at least a few minutes of group painting.

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Also in the Seattle area, and internet maps inform me that its about a 36 hour drive each way.  I don't see it happening.  However, with the con in a hotel I could theoretically eliminate the rental car.  We'll see what happens this year, the men of the family like to go to PAX.  Maybe I can fly solo.  

EDIT:  Thought I should clarify that I don't see MYSELF driving that far.  You guys go for it if you're into it!

For those pondering the to be or not to be with a rental, just note the stores like Walmart or fast food places are within walking distance but they are a bit out there & remember too, you are walking in Texas summer heat. Also remember too, there are other willing attendees that have a car & could give you a ride to those places. Also the various ride options to & from the hotel to the airport are around 50 to 60 dollars.

Caravan would be a neat idea since I'm kinda local to @Sylverthorne & other NW folks but I actually don't mind the flight to & from. I spend a night in Boise, take a flight out the next morning & I'm in Texas. Works for me!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I’m imagining a National Lampoon like story to come from this.

Just wondering which one of you will end up as Clark.

Funny.  Though my mind went towards Oregon Trail.

Hopefully no one dies of dysentery.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

To add to Silverthorne's request, I too drive down. I drive every year, though not from WA; I drive down from Minneapolis MN.  So anyone from the upper-Midwest wanting to caravan with us down the I35 corridor, let me know; we'd be more than happy to hook up with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

To add to Silverthorne's request, I too drive down. I drive every year, though not from WA; I drive down from Minneapolis MN.  So anyone from the upper-Midwest wanting to caravan with us down the I35 corridor, let me know; we'd be more than happy to hook up with you.

Depending on scheduling, I may take you up on that, since we're just 13.5 miles east of I-35

• Like 3

Each year I drive to visit my family in Alberta. It’s about a 12 hour drive each way.

I can’t see myself doing that three days in a row, then run around Reapercon for four or five days, then driving back again.

What about trains? Wonder if they’d be cheaper than flying those longer distances.

• Like 3

@Sylverthorne The @ thing absolutely works ;)

So, I was plotting my route via SLC and Denver, with the mental goal being no more than 10 to 11 hours on the road per day (thus allowing for food and bathroom breaks and driver swaps), and Thorne and I would like to drop by a friend's place in Denver while we're underway. There's actually multiple reasons for me contemplating this, one of them being money (bloody hell, they all take it from the living...), one being that I /want/ to do it (but then, I'd like to drive the Panamericana at some point in my life, too - I'm strange), and one being that it would solve some problems with transporting things to and from - neither Thorne nor I trust the baggage manglers at the airports, and we seem to lose suitcases to impact damage on a regular basis. To get my rambling back on topic, a caravan seems like a good idea to me - meet up in the morning, arrange waypoints and all, drive.

Hadn't considered trains, but truth is, it would surprise me if that was a viable option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1