Paasche model H airbrush review

Corsair

Okay, I have been painting minis since I was 18, and am now 57, so i have done a few! When I was modeling WW2 armored vehicles I tried a cheap airbrush, and that was back in High School. Everything since then has been by brush with some rattle can priming on plastic and metal minis.. However, once I started doing CAVs in the new Bonesium material, I discovered that even with the recommended special primers, I had problems with failing to dry. So I decided to get an airbrush. Since I already have a compressor, it made the choice to do this easier again. I picked up a CHEAP one from Harbor Freight and realized that it could work, but it was not a decent one. Unfortunately, my Father in Law passed away and I had bought him a Paasche years ago. I inherited it from him and put it to work. First, it is very well made and this company has been around for decades. Instructions are very clear and it was easy to get up and running. It is called a siphon feed, but this seems to make take down and cleaning simpler. After only a few uses, I am quite comfortable with it for priming and I can see using it for far more detailed work in the future. Clean up is quite straight forward and not beyond a beginner to airbrushes.  These can be found new for around $40 and is a huge step up over the ones hawked for starters for $20 price range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Paasche H is an great Airbrush, I use it to do really great single coat paint jobs on model cars. It is also good for priming, although I use my Badger Patriot 105 for that usually. When I started modeling and airbrushing, Badger did not have the great Patriot and Anthem (as far as I know) and definitely not Kromes or Sotars, so the only real choices were Paasche H and VL's. They served me well, and still use them both. I have quite an armada of airbrushes:

I use:

Paasche H - This is pretty much my high gloss single coat airbrush for model cars

Paasche VL - This has now been relegated to T-Shirt Airbrushing, and I am probably going to go with Badger Anthems now. Do Not get me wrong, the VL is awesome, but the body is BIG, the anthem has the same body as the Badger Patriot 105 and doing shirts gets painful with a large body airbrush:(

Paasche VSR-90 - I have two (if I can find the second one) of these and I am pretty much relegating this one to Clear coating. It's OOP by the way.

Badger Patriot 105 - I LOVE this airbrush, does great priming and general detail and is super easy to take care of.

Sotar 20/20 - I am still waiting for this one to arrive, but I hear it's a great detail airbrush (that's why I got it)

Airbrushing makes things so much easier, and once you practice your skills, you will be quite happy with the results!

• Like 5

The size of the VL body is one reason why I never could like that airbrush. It's probably the reason why I picked up the Millennium  (same brush, just a slimmer body) when I did back in late '99 or '00. At the time I didn't like what Badger had out & after owning a toy airbrush, err I mean the Aztek by Testor's I just wanted a real airbrush. Now days, I'm more of a Badger fan (you can thank Ken S for that!!) but the Millennium is still my workhorse airbrush.

• Like 2

I use my H for spraying future floor finish and thicker materials like gesso and thinned house paint when I need to basecoat terrain.  Really is a workhorse and impossible to kill.  I've always been tempted to throw some 2k clear through it to see how it would do. 

For general work on minis like priming and basecoats, and spraying models, I must admit I'm an iwata man.  The revolution sprays mini primer like stynylrez and Vallejo surface really well.

• Like 1