Sign in to follow this  
RandomExtra

Tiefling Sorcerer

I started a D&D campaign for my son and some of his friends, and using it as an excuse to acquire and paint some new minis. Here is my son's Tiefling sorcerer (sorceress?)The plan: We don't really like the "combat bikini" on this one, so I am going to attempt to add, well something to it. It won't be great, probably wont even look good, but hey I'm only trying to get better, so please comment, critique, advise, instruct, and what not.
Going with a light purple skin because its for a Tiefling character, and I think purple is an interesting color to paint. Turquoise colored garments as a complimentary color, and some yellow gold metal for some contrast.

20181219_125550_zpsvb74slgt_edit_1545262

And some color after the nip tuck. I went with blue for a base cause I'm guessing it will work better with the purple skin.

We decided to chop the staff and try for a glass orb for the arcane focus. Any recommendations are appreciated.

20181219_215600_zps2khalt2n.jpg

Finally to end the night with some Green stuff. I started with a "sheet" of it for the Front and Back panels. I'm going to try to add some detail tomorrow after this dries.20181220_001228_zpsedmad3rs.jpg20181220_002202_zpsfsevg9ry.jpg

Overall I don't think the cloth is laying quite right, or the size is off. Either way I hope I can fix it in the next session.

• Like 8

I felt that the front was a bit too thick and bulky, so I sanded it down a bit to fit in to the scale of the figure better (hopefully).

Then went and attempted to fill back in to hopefully make it more realistic (well as realistic as a half demon casting magic could be, i guess)

20181220_141009_zpsepqnpyo6.jpg

20181220_141035_zpsvkz9oi2w.jpg

would it be wrong or frowned upon to put this in a post in the sculpting section of the message boards?

This is the first time I've attempted anything like this, and I'm not certain if I'm missing something simple I can be doing to help it turn out nice.

• Like 9

I've painted  a few tieflings for a friend and have many more to come, so I think I can help in regards to color and paint.

For purple skin my recipe was light purple base, dark blue wash and then highlight with purple/white.

These are a couple of examples that I speed painted to show him purple tieflings could look nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mutilatedlips said:

I've painted  a few tieflings for a friend and have many more to come, so I think I can help in regards to color and paint.

For purple skin my recipe was light purple base, dark blue wash and then highlight with purple/white.

These are a couple of examples that I speed painted to show him purple tieflings could look nice.

WOW! Those look awesome!

I like how you did the tails, I didn't even think about painting them that way. Definitely going to attempt to emulate it.

I've been working on my layering/blending lately so I'll be skipping the wash, I plan on starting with a med/dark purple from a 1:1 mix of Dragon Blue and Brilliant red, and adding more off white with each layer to lighten it up.

oh and mixing paint even though I don't need to cause I kind of enjoy it, odd I know.

I'm not really happy with how the sculpting turned out, it was more sticky than I thought it would be, except to itself and I kept making too much.
Looking at it now, the shoulder straps should be thinner, the chest seems a bit lopsided, and it's overall too rough. I suppose I'll just have to buy more figures to practice on...^_^

Overall he seemed happy with it, and I need it complete so we can use it, so on to painting. keeping the Purple skin, turqoise cloth, and yellow gold idea. Though he wants the horns a kind of brownish color, I'm thinking a bit of a creamy brown, kind of complimentary color to the purple, instead of a contrasting color like I was originally going to go with, anyone have any opinions on this?

Do Tieflings have feet? I thought it was hooves, and I'm not really sure what this ones modeled with. Some of the Sinessas here in the forums appear to have slippers on, but that seemed too small and out of proportion to me, again any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'll be back in a  bit after I've made some progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandomExtra said:

I'm not really happy with how the sculpting turned out, it was more sticky than I thought it would be, except to itself and I kept making too much.

lol, I hated greenstuff when I first used. I started out on Privateer Press p3 putty and loved it. Then they stopped making and greenstuff was a horrifying substitute. I found that lots of water on fingers and tools will help. Also that you know that it is a fresh batch when it is sticky, mine is now a year or so old and no longer too bad. I am not usually sculpting complicated things, mostly just filling in gaps or adding a strand of hair or two...not much else.

Brown or gray are complimentary to just about any color. I would not worry, when in doubt...paint it brown.

All the Tiefling I have painted have had boots, so I would assume they have feet. The twins I painted are licensed D&D models, so should be correct.  

Also, don't forget to give her a little thumb for holding the orb

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mutilatedlips said:

lol, I hated greenstuff when I first used. I started out on Privateer Press p3 putty and loved it. Then they stopped making and greenstuff was a horrifying substitute. I found that lots of water on fingers and tools will help. Also that you know that it is a fresh batch when it is sticky, mine is now a year or so old and no longer too bad. I am not usually sculpting complicated things, mostly just filling in gaps or adding a strand of hair or two...not much else.

Brown or gray are complimentary to just about any color. I would not worry, when in doubt...paint it brown.

All the Tiefling I have painted have had boots, so I would assume they have feet. The twins I painted are licensed D&D models, so should be correct.  

not really "Green stuff" Tm, but Apoxie Sculpt, and it's probably about 10 years old or so. I got 16 oz of it for really cheap, but have only ever used it to fill gaps.

I originally said I'd be back with progress, but another post made me think I was missing something. Which caused me to watch a nice video on color theory. I was using some terms incorrectly... but I also reevaluated one of my color choices. Rather than going with a turqoise I'm now thinking of using more of a green for the clothes. Maybe a little closer to a greenish blue, not sure anymore.

image.png.45e00c6b1a1c7f462e5ba86af8cb39d2.png

color wheel available at http://paletton.com/#uid=34X0v0kmZs8bRISiaw0rwnCvphR

Edited by RandomExtra

Actually after playing around with the color wheel a little bit, I kind of like this better. It's more green than originally intended but I like it better, and adding more orange to the yellow should make for a more convincing gold color, and balance better.

Capture.GIF

I think you were fine with the 1st sculpting job you did. If I was to paint the now sanded down version, I would probably give her a cut off shirt and show her belly.

If you are going to use something that close to yellow, a mustard yellow, I would shade or glaze it with brown. I just don't picture somebody with that little clothing wearing a color on the brighter side of the spectrum.

I would use a darker color for her clothing, in the grey, red, brown family for couple of reasons.

1) I would not worry much about what matches somebody's skin...not necessary ever.  So, no need to match colors to purple.

2) If you later find the looks of your sculpting less than desirable, then using a darker color should help with not showing any flaws you may see otherwise with a lighter color.

Got the first coat of skin on. I kind of want to go through and keep working on the skin, but I should probably block out the other colors. so boring...

went ahead and put the purple on the hair too, I think I'm going to darken down some purple and thin it more for the hair before lightening up with some black/gray with a hint of purple in it. not light enough to look geriatric but, well see.

20181221_132413_zps3alrnptj.jpg

Apparently I didn't post this when I thought I did, it was just sitting there waiting for me to hit "Post" or save or whatever...

Edited by RandomExtra
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mutilatedlips said:

I think you were fine with the 1st sculpting job you did. If I was to paint the now sanded down version, I would probably give her a cut off shirt and show her belly.

If you are going to use something that close to yellow, a mustard yellow, I would shade or glaze it with brown. I just don't picture somebody with that little clothing wearing a color on the brighter side of the spectrum.

I would use a darker color for her clothing, in the grey, red, brown family for couple of reasons.

1) I would not worry much about what matches somebody's skin...not necessary ever.  So, no need to match colors to purple.

2) If you later find the looks of your sculpting less than desirable, then using a darker color should help with not showing any flaws you may see otherwise with a lighter color.

I'm apparantly having issues posting today, thats two posts that didnt make it or save... odd.

I agree with you on basing with brown for gold or yellow colors, seems to help the color coverage and uniformity.

Ended up with the cloth darker than intended, bright mini skirts do lend towards a rather unsavory image. And I do want to hide the sculpted portion.

Was going to have the neck piece gold with some kind of gemstone in the center, not sure what color though for that or the eyes.

20181221_141446_zpsbrpczl16.jpg

• Like 5