77047 Goldar, Male Barbarian

RandomExtra

Barbarian for the D&D campaign I'm DM'ing.

20181219_195614_zpsnxvurzqa.jpg

Realized halfway through throwing the first paint on that the character is supposed to be a half-orc. Not too sure if starting with a dark green would work better, not that I can't greenify it up a bit.

How green is a half-orc? Should I go with a green tinged human flesh tone, or go full on green like a 40K or flesh tone, or some where in between?

Anyway, comments, critiques, recommendations, conversations, anything really, is welcome!

20181220_170431_zpsrfv6pykb.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Rat13 said:

You could always just do a regular human flesh tone and say all he got from the Orc side was his size.

True, and I definitely need to practice human flesh, but I already started going the other route.

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Or a light green wash or drybrushing to give a subtle greenish hue.

I started with a yellow coat so the successive layers of green will be a bit lighter, but I don't think I shook the bottle well enough. It came out kind of grainy. I thinned it more than normal too, so I wasn't really expecting this kind of result.

20181220_184233_zpslmeeejlj.jpg

I will be starting on light green flesh next, first darker, then getting lighter and less green mixing into some lighter off white or human flesh tones. The goal being a greener tinged human color.

Not too sure how I'm going to do the face, normally I'd have some more red or purple in the recesses, but I don't know how that would work with the green. I'll be exploring the show-off and other WIP topics to see how others have handled this, usually i'd try greens with a hint of blue and highlight up into a greenish yellow. 

• Like 5

I am not sure how grand you plan on making this bones figure, but I would just keep it simple. How long do you want to keep glazing that yellow?

Light green skin, dark green wash, green highlights... skin done.

Paint the leathery bits a light brown and give the whole mini a brown wash after all is said and done, this would work with the greens, browns and give him a battle/dirt worn look.

Here is a link to an older half orc I painted for a hard core lifetime D&D gamer and he was very happy with the color. You can get an idea of what the simple green recipe could look like.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:05 PM, Mutilatedlips said:

I am not sure how grand you plan on making this bones figure, but I would just keep it simple. How long do you want to keep glazing that yellow?

Light green skin, dark green wash, green highlights... skin done.

Paint the leathery bits a light brown and give the whole mini a brown wash after all is said and done, this would work with the greens, browns and give him a battle/dirt worn look.

Here is a link to an older half orc I painted for a hard core lifetime D&D gamer and he was very happy with the color. You can get an idea of what the simple green recipe could look like.

Great looking Orc!

Grand, Time, Glazing, I don't think those words mean what I think they mean

I don't expect anything awesome, just enjoying myself a bit. maybe learning something new. The last few figures I've done I was trying NMM and getting better at blending (at least I think its called blending, cant remember half the time) 

anyway. started experimenting on his leg, did the overall green then the shadows, didn't like how I did it so I swapped to shadows first and then going to clean it up as I paint the rest of the flesh. felt like it was going to be quicker. I plan on lightening up the color once more adding either yellow or off white to the green.20181222_204132_zpszkttrtwm.jpg

did get sloppy on the face, may do the eyes first.

• Like 3

The right leg looks fine.  It is quite green.  It feels full orc to me.  I struggled with the same conundrum: how to make the figure more half orc than full orc.

3rd edition had a lot of gray skinned half orcs, but then Goliaths came along and muddied those waters too.

Here is the direction I went:  Mixing stone greys into olive greens to get a pale grey-green.  It gave me a skin tone I could see as a half orc.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80540-77047-goldar-male-barbarian/&tab=comments#comment-1708149

If you stay with your current palette, you might try one more highlight layer to differentiate the shadows from the highlights.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2018 at 5:12 AM, Darcstaar said:

Here is the direction I went:  Mixing stone greys into olive greens to get a pale grey-green.  It gave me a skin tone I could see as a half orc.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80540-77047-goldar-male-barbarian/&tab=comments#comment-1708149

If you stay with your current palette, you might try one more highlight layer to differentiate the shadows from the highlights.

Holy Crap, that is one good looking Goldar! If mine turns out half as well, I'm going to be very pleased indeed.

Due to life, work, and not wanting to tackle this issue, I haven't picked up a brush in a bit.

I was thinking about using a little light brown or a dark cream to lighten him up a bit without getting to bright green. not too sure how it's going to turn out. Not that it matters much, my Half-orc barbarian player said his character has a glorious mane of hair. Just another excuse to get more models really.

• Like 1

Lightened up the skin a bit, I don't think I'm going to get away from how green he is. and that right leg has darker shadows...

he never skips right leg day! 

20190107_011519_zpsb7xnhnbq.jpg

I'm thinking 1 more coat. I used Reaper's Naga Green and Leather Brown to try to bring him to a bit more humanish color. Didn't really work, but its less neon green so I can live with it. 1 more lighter coat, I'm thinking of adding some Scholar Flesh to the mix and I don't know, go from there I geuss. Some day I'm going to actually know what I'm doing, maybe.

20190107_011454_zps4hlob5vb.jpg

Any advice is welcome, and appreciated!

• Like 6

Added some Scholar Flesh to the Naga Green and Leather Brown. Seems to have worked as a nice highlight, and that's probably it for the flesh.

currently running the D&D 5e starter kit, mines of phandalin or something similar. So I believe the back of the loinclothe (but cloak?) will be red. And pretty much par for the course for how the game is going, Droop the goblin has been adopted, and is now a Coward Druid that has aspirations of being a world class chef... unfortunately no Goblin Chef available on the Reaper site that I could find.

20190107_015425_zpsgoxez2ix.jpg

I hit up the collarbone with a little more of a highlight, looks like I need to smooth out the transition on his pec too.

Edited by RandomExtra
fixed collarbone spelling
  • Like 7

After finishing the skin and deciding I was done with it, here are the following steps I did in order. 

put some Harvest Brown on the leather straps, and fur.

In the hopes of getting a more even and vibrant color on the but cloak, I based it with Mountain Stone. 

Mountain Stone on the base, it was overly thinned and didn't cover evenly.

Put a GW Devlan Mud wash on the fur.

and a coat of Dragon Red on the leather straps, cause I like my leathers a little reddish.

20190107_134656_zps15vyz4wj.jpg

• Like 5

Did a heavy drybrush of Woodland Brown, followed by a lighter drybrush of some Scholar Flesh on the fur. at a glance you can tell its fur, and I've seen some videos on making wolf or bear fur, I'm just not good at that. Which means there will be some furry creatures in my future. not looking forward to it.

put a coat of Dragon Red on the cloak, had originally planned on using GW's Mechrite Red and blending it up to Reaper's Brilliant Red, but decided I liked how dark the Dragon Red is. Now I'm not sure if I want to lighten it with some orange, maybe use a white, or just a lighter red and then up to either orange or white.

20190107_143051_zpsrporlwqi.jpg

• Like 5

Put on some Heather Blue for the base of all the darker metal, and started to think about lighting. Really late, I know. the light source should have affected the skin, but I missed that chance and I'm not going back. Maybe next time I'll plan ahead.

20190107_181743_zpsfi6llsjb.jpg

anyway, I'm going to have him looking into the light source, I really wanted to have the light over his left shoulder so I could play around with the shoulder pad, But I just don't think it fits the stance. I'm not too sure about this though, I've only really dealt with light source one other time, when I tried NMM. 

My light sources on this guy are all over the place, and wow that sword looks so much better when your not zoomed in...

20190107_182841_zps0p9cksqw.jpg

• Like 5

Started attempting some NMM, been at least two or three months since I tried NMM and watched any tutorial videos on it, aaaand I'm not feeling inclined to watch anything at the moment, so I'm most likely messing things up. 

20190107_185253_zps1lyulmew.jpg

20190107_191136_zpsu4b3obwr.jpg

20190107_195119_zpsvyzrqyie.jpg

I don't like the axe. was going for the cutting edge being completely in shadow and that being the line where the light hits it.

• Like 6