01550 christmas eve

rawlkeer

This is an extremely raw beginning WIP. Saw this and thought it was a beautiful mini, couldn't wait to try it. I am using just the new holiday collection of paints so far, but I am open to any suggestions for changes. I used the holly berry and it went down pretty well, and the Christmas Wreath green, then Golden Glow because I don't know what color that gold is in the website pic. I thinned everything down a lot (maybe too much) and the green went on horribly. I know the pics are blurry but I think you will get what I mean about the green. It went on very dull and muddy looking, almost like a wash that was really heavy. It looks better in the pics now that it has dried overnight, but it still looks blotchy. And the back looks pitted or something, I don't know what is wrong with it. I haven't finished laying down the yellow, so some of the green shows through because it was so thin. Any advice or suggestions are always welcome

IMG_20181218_145252637.jpg

IMG_20181218_145307486.jpg

• Like 11

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good so far.

As for the blotchy green, you may have added too much water, but another culprit is likely that you didn't shake your paint enough. You really want to shake the heck out of it, then shake it done more after that, to get the pigments all mixed in.

In my experience, both green and yellow are pretty transparent, especially once you've thinned them. That adds to the blotchy look.

If there's pitting in the metal on parts of the mini, you can put a thin layer of super glue down to fill the pits, but you'd want to do that before you start painting. A clear varnish might do the same thing now that there's paint on her. Good news is, it should be pretty invisible once you do all the shading and highlighting (unless it's just really, really bad, but your photos don't look bad in this case).

17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Good start! Isn't this figure Christmas Eve, not Winter Elf, though? 

Oops! yes, I got them mixed up!

2 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

That green takes about 4 layers to get a solid base coat.

Nice color scheme so far.

Thanks! I've been putting down more layers, and it is coming nicely now

20 hours ago, Sanael said:

Looking good so far.

As for the blotchy green, you may have added too much water, but another culprit is likely that you didn't shake your paint enough. You really want to shake the heck out of it, then shake it done more after that, to get the pigments all mixed in.

In my experience, both green and yellow are pretty transparent, especially once you've thinned them. That adds to the blotchy look.

If there's pitting in the metal on parts of the mini, you can put a thin layer of super glue down to fill the pits, but you'd want to do that before you start painting. A clear varnish might do the same thing now that there's paint on her. Good news is, it should be pretty invisible once you do all the shading and highlighting (unless it's just really, really bad, but your photos don't look bad in this case).

I wondered if I may have thinned it too much. I didn't think about the shaking being a problem, I just assumed it would mix pretty easily with just a few shakes. Good tip about the pitting, I will certainly be on the lookout for that in the future. Thanks!

• Like 2

Got the base coat down pretty much. Any advice on how I should proceed with the wash? I am a bit leary about washing the yellow or white because I don't want it to end up looking dingy or changing the color. Am using the new Christmas colors mostly, but did use vallejo black grey for the owl and citadel "thousand sons blue" for the belt because I just really like that color :)

IMG_20181220_225250759.jpg

IMG_20181220_225312590.jpg

• Like 7