01550 christmas eve

rawlkeer

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone! I kind of like the idea of the purple, I guess if I don't like it I can just paint back over it, right? Now, when you are talking brown, do you mean a very light brown, like a tan so the difference would be very subtle (or at least it sounds like it would)?

I haven't heard of doing purple/yellow or green/red before, so I'm looking forward to seeing it if you go that route. I would have thought to start with either a very light brown or creamy off white and painting yellow over that, kind of like basing with a gray when you want something white.

It's looking good, and I can't wait to see more.

47 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

Any complementary color may be used to desaturate the opposite in the color weel; so orange/blu, green/red and purple/yellow and vice versa. 

Sounds like the next thing I'm going to start practicing, looks like I'll be watching some instructional videos with my coffee break.

OK, not what I was originally thinking, which would have been something about mixing the paint, but a good refresher nonetheless.

Edited by RandomExtra

3 hours ago, RandomExtra said:

I haven't heard of doing purple/yellow or green/red before, so I'm looking forward to seeing it if you go that route. I would have thought to start with either a very light brown or creamy off white and painting yellow over that, kind of like basing with a gray when you want something white.

I tried the purple/yellow and to be honest I don't care for it, but I probably did it wrong. I mixed the two and watered them down until they were almost translucent and it turned out basically a pale lavender color. It's ok, but I think I will cover most of it back with yellow.

3 hours ago, RandomExtra said:

Thanks! Going with the light brown, we will see how that goes

3 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

Any complementary color may be used to desaturate the opposite in the color weel; so orange/blu, green/red and purple/yellow and vice versa. 

I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

Ok, I think my comment created a bit of confusion! 
It's not a matter of "mix 50/50 purple/yellow and apply the result into the recess to create shadows" :)
We have to follow the color theory and use the right colors!
First of all, if you wanna use this tecnique, you have to start from the 3 primary colors: cyan, magenta and yellow (cadmium); if we mix this colors the result will be brown.
If we want a more saturate version we may use pure red (RAL 3028), phthalo blue and yellow (lemon);
now if we think about it, mixing blue and red will give us... purple! thats the reason why adding purple to yellow will desaturate it to brow.

But be aware that we have to put the right amount of purple, little by little, until we get the right tone we are looking for. The best way, to me, is just thin the purple to a thin glaze (better to use a medium or the pigment will sparse) and apply it over the yellow: the purple is naturally translucent and will create a shadow.

Try it on something you don't care before apply it to the mini.

This mini I've painted some time ago was shaded using the complemtary colors.
pp.thumb.jpg.661cb5b1c94d8f5274f71a3ab43cf386.jpg
Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand what I'm saying, anyway internet is full of guide and video about the color and shadows theory.

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 7