TriOpticon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, TriOpticon said:

Definitely getting started seems harder than I thought it would be

Getting started really only requires a mini, some primer, some paint and a brush. And then sitting down and doing it. 

Don't get distracted by trying to assemble everything you'll ever need all at once.

And definitely don't get distracted by expecting to be perfect when you first start out.  Lots of us have cruddy first batches of miniatures stashed away somewhere. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I have my first two minis on display to remind myself how much I've learned ^_^

Once a year or so I get a fresh copy of one of my early minis and paint it in the same color scheme, just to get a physical reminder of exactly that.

• Like 4

On 12/28/2018 at 3:39 PM, kristof65 said:

And definitely don't get distracted by expecting to be perfect when you first start out.  Lots of us have cruddy first batches of miniatures stashed away somewhere. 

Or else those minis went into a bath of Pinesol to strip them to get redone!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm a pretty firm believer in not stripping imperfect minis. 

Same, I’ve onlt stripped 2 minis that I’d painted, and both were because I used a bad paint on them and it went all textured and weird. My earliest miniatures serve to remind me of the improvement I have made. But probably more importantly, I have so many unpainted miniatures that I can’t justify repainting things when there’s some things that haven’t seen paint at all!

• Like 6

Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks for the advice and support.

I was in Akihabara for the festivities and came across some Bones figures in a Yellow Submarine (a chain that sells board games, TRPGs, CCGs).  They are 77244: Skeleton Warrior Spearman.  I will start on them while waiting for my LTPK.  I can at least clean and prime them.  Not sure I have a good bone color, though, so I may wait for the kit to finish.

Anyway, I also do a lot of reading and on Goodreads.com they have a yearly challenge where you put in how many books you plan to read for the year.  Sort of an ongoing New Year's resolution.  I might do the same to help keep me motivated.

• Like 5

On 12/28/2018 at 4:01 PM, TriOpticon said:

@Madog Barfog, I kind of like that idea of priming white and then a wash and getting it to the table.  Definitely getting started seems harder than I thought it would be.  Of course, with it being the holidays it is harder to do anything hobby related.  It also doesn't help perusing Reaper's store and thinking of how useful a certain figure would work in a game, etc...

Im glad you liked that idea. Not sure why perusing the store wouldn't help get one motivated, though. It always helps me. More stuff to do!

You've made a good start. Keep the purchases small and focused at first. I needed some pirates, for example, and I'm currently done with nearly 4/5s of them, with the last one currently prepped and in primer. It's taken me a while to get that far, but that's because I'm not painting as often right now. I'll pick up again after I move.

• Like 3

@Madog Barfog, perusing the store is a good source of colors, etc. but I find myself spending too much time looking through everything.::D:  Trying to keep my purchases small and focused.  I probably went a bit overboard when ordering figures with the paint kit, though.  Things I do not have but I may feel it adds to the pile of things to do too much.  So, no more orders for at least a month.

@lowlylowlycook, I think that is probably best until I get better and more comfortable doing more things.  Maybe some highlights after the wash but I doubt I will attempt any shading/layering/blending/whatevering anytime soon.

• Like 2