• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Honestly I'd say this just looks like a regular day in the neighborhood. 

I'm a little curious about your barriers, how long was the print time and what is the price per piece? I imagine both are pretty low but curiosity got the better of me. Also watching this thread is really making it difficult to resist taking the plunge into 3d printing. 

Using my minis profile (since these are pretty tiny) Cura estimates 41 mins and 0.7m or about 2g of plastic for the set of 8 barriers.

Cura generally lies about time (under estimates) so probably more like 50 minutes.

A 1 KG spool goes for around $20 cdn, or 2 cents per gram, so the set of 8 barriers is likely just shy of a nickel.

And just because I was curious and its late here, you could fill the bed with 42 sets of barriers, or 336 barriers. that would take 86g of plastic, so less that $2, and would take 29 hours or so to print.

You could probably get a good start on laying out a decent sized 10mm race track with that many barriers.....

BTW, slicing those with a terrain profile dropped th eestimate to just over 12 hours, but I don't know how they would come out.  I might try tomorrow with a single set just to see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How can I ignore the giant cat hair?

The development of mechanical armoured battlesuits can be traced to the meme wars of 2525, also called the Zager feuds.  In ever increasing attempts to create online followers of cat pictures several bloggers resorted to using genetically modified cats until the 1:300 cat photos became a trend in “Birdnoise” social media.  In the end, humanity was forced to resort to mechanical bipedal fighting suits as the loss of cotton fields and sheep flocks prevented the UN yarn ball development to pacify the monstrous felines.

• Haha 6
11 hours ago, Rat13 said:

Honestly I'd say this just looks like a regular day in the neighborhood. 

Well, you do live in Pittsburgh...:devil:

Looking good Jasper.  I was thinking about designing my own Jersey barriers in 10mm, rather than rescaling others.   Not sure if I will yet, or not. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Looking good Jasper.  I was thinking about designing my own Jersey barriers in 10mm, rather than rescaling others.   Not sure if I will yet, or not. 

I'm trying to avoid getting pulled into designing stuff and all the CAD  learning that requires right now (even though I really, really want to). Had to set finding a job as a higher priority. Boo.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I'm trying to avoid getting pulled into designing stuff and all the CAD  learning that requires right now (even though I really, really want to). Had to set finding a job as a higher priority. Boo.

Understandable.  I've been dinking around with CAD as a hobby for 25-30 years now, so while I'm still pretty much a novice, it's not like I've had to start at the beginning either. 

If you have any ideas for CAV that you'ld like to see that don't exist on Thingiverse in some for yet, feel free to mention them.  Never know when some idea might catch my fancy (and fall within my abilities), such as @Zink's catapult idea did. 

• Like 6

Finally had a chance to put together the self propelled gun roof for the MAV3RICK tank.  Don't mind the barbarian horde in the background....spg_front.jpg.496993f2979958f11d2236a0a65f2edb.jpg

spg_side.jpg.06b6c6f48590975f308733395e62a0ca.jpg

It was a touch finicky to get all those panels glued together but looks pretty sweet.

Chassis is still the same original one. I have almost all the parts for another sitting there, just need to print off the right side armor for it and one more set of the new tracks.

• Like 12
22 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Nice. 

Is it just my perception of the photos, or is the print quality of the turret better than the rest of the tank?  

Absolutely.  I used a faster profile to print out the first chassis but I'm not happy with that level of quality. The next one should look better, if I ever get it built......

• Like 5

You know I'm really impressed with the quality of prints I'm seeing nowadays. It wasn't very long ago a lot of people were complaining how an FDM printer would always make crappy, rough prints with tons of lines needing a lot of prep work to smooth. Or that you'd never be able to print a decent mini only relatively crude terrain. I don't see much to complain about with what we're seeing here.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Earlier you had posted 2 different tops for your tanks. Do you think the howitzer you just did would look more balanced on the one with the turret ring farther to the front?

The SPG uses a completely different roof than the ones with the turret ring.  It just has the one roof option as the gun is glued right on to the roof. But traditionally Howitzers and the like tend to be set back pretty far, so I'm good with how it sits. The chassis it will eventually be on will have the ramp rear door, which seems very common for SPGs.

There are a number of different roof options that I still haven't done.  I just printed out a couple of the APC versions last night.

In other news, it is really hard to see what black filament is doing when you print on a black glass bed....

Testing out the AmazonBasics Black PLA now with and FDG Goblin.

• Like 7