Day of the Dead couple - sculpted & painted by DKS

dks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect. I've always loved your sense of color, it is... naturalistic,not sure what adjective to use, but just really even and harmonious. Like here, even though much of it is sepia-like, all of the elements of the models are differentiated and clear. Masterful work :-D then there's the sculpts themselves! You could maybe argue with Leonardo himself about which one is the 'higher art' ;-P

Thanks, everyone!  I'm glad you like it.

@KruleBear: Mwa ha ha ... yes, my evil plan to make you buy more minis has succeeded!  :devil:

@Dave Foley and @Iridil : Thanks for the comments about the colors and materials.  I've spent a lot of time in muted-but-harmonious palettes, and studying how real-world objects interact with light so I can replicate them with paint.  I often teach a class on Monochrome Painting, and/or materials and textures, at ReaperCon and other conventions.

Thanks for the congrats, too, @Corporea.  Yes, it feels good to see these two in the "Done" area of my shelves. 

I sure didn't imagine these colors when I started them.  I always had a vague mental image in bolder colors -- shiny teal and emerald green and purple, with the orange flower accents.  But maybe the two kitsune figures that I painted in September exorcised that idea.  I hope someone else paints these two in saturated colors so I can see they look.  Or maybe I'll do a second quick version some time. 

Now, however, it is time for me to get sculpting again!

Derek

• Like 5