Sign in to follow this  
Gyar

02738 Helena, Female Gladiator

Looks great, and as far s the freehand goes, it looks wonderful and it isn't that much out of character if you look at some of the Greek shields.

Especially bottom row..

image.png.71dc813cf04d2e0693d798c5219af011.png

• Like 7

What can I say? I like your painting style, love the NMM the hi-light are perfect you can undestand where the light come from at the first glance!
Maybe IMO the bronze color is a bit too deep, but, as I already said, just my opinion.
Nice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Looks great, and as far s the freehand goes, it looks wonderful and it isn't that much out of character if you look at some of the Greek shields.

Especially bottom row..

image.png.71dc813cf04d2e0693d798c5219af011.png

Yeah its not too far off its just too modernized. I could see this on like Future Gladiator X or something. I should have tried to keep to more simplistic patterns. perhaps next time! Also good find! it is hard to find good shield art that isnt "300"

1 hour ago, Cicciopiu said:

What can I say? I like your painting style, love the NMM the hi-light are perfect you can undestand where the light come from at the first glance!
Maybe IMO the bronze color is a bit too deep, but, as I already said, just my opinion.
Nice!

Oh all good, what do you mean by "too deep" like too dark? 

5 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Excellent shield! What colors went into your bronze recipe?

Averland yellow (Citadel) was primary, Dryad Brown (Citadel) was the darker brown and I used a Orange Leather (scale 75) and just mixed up and down for shading

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 9:25 PM, Gyar said:

Oh all good, what do you mean by "too deep" like too dark? 

No, I mean too deep in color, I find that bronze has a less yellowish color, more dull and brownish (greeny brown, not even red);

Your bronze looks more like brass to me, but again, just my own opinion! Matter of taste if you get what I mean :winkthumbs:

I'm not very good at NMM so I can't share any recipe, but when I use TMM I mix gold, copper and iron (vallejo metal colors) to get to something similar to bronze, and then just shade it using some sepia and and agrax and adding silver to the base for the highlight.

Again your NMM look great, mine are not advices, just another point of view ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I will try some more dulled down and less yellow, being the first jump I am all in for some ideas! Who knows, that may even change my taste! Sepia is a good idea, it has that red undertone... hmmmm

• Like 1