Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

Airbrushing Bones

So my lovely bride got me an airbrush setup for Christmas, and I played with it for the first time last night. Over all, it worked out ok, but left me with some questions that the Airbrushing: The Compendium thread didn't answer:

1. I "prime" my Bones with Brown Liner.   When I tested on some Orcs last night, this seemed to work pretty decently.  But given the hydrophobic nature of Bones, I didn't thin the Brown liner at all at first, then started adding a bit of water. It definitely seemed to help with the spraying as I thinned it, but I was worried about it beading up. So how do you deal with that on the first layer on Bones minis? 

2. how do you guys tack down your smaller Bones minis to prime with an airbrush? I found that that the pressure (around 18-20psi) was blowing the orcs all over the place, which led me to having to prime them individually, which defeated the purpose of being able to do a bunch at once. 

3. I got a sample bottle of the Stylenz primer at ReaperCon - I tried it on some CAVs, but it just beaded up.  Was that an issue with me and the airbrush, or just an issue with Stylenz and Bones? 

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So my lovely bride got me an airbrush setup for Christmas, and I played with it for the first time last night. Over all, it worked out ok, but left me with some questions that the Airbrushing: The Compendium thread didn't answer:

1. I "prime" my Bones with Brown Liner.   When I tested on some Orcs last night, this seemed to work pretty decently.  But given the hydrophobic nature of Bones, I didn't thin the Brown liner at all at first, then started adding a bit of water. It definitely seemed to help with the spraying as I thinned it, but I was worried about it beading up. So how do you deal with that on the first layer on Bones minis? 

2. how do you guys tack down your smaller Bones minis to prime with an airbrush? I found that that the pressure (around 18-20psi) was blowing the orcs all over the place, which led me to having to prime them individually, which defeated the purpose of being able to do a bunch at once. 

3. I got a sample bottle of the Stylenz primer at ReaperCon - I tried it on some CAVs, but it just beaded up.  Was that an issue with me and the airbrush, or just an issue with Stylenz and Bones? 

1. I use stynlerez (sp?) to prime my mini's. Do not need to thin, just shoot straight.

2. I mount my mini's to pill bottles using double stick tape. Have not had any issues. Just prime one, set it down, and then go on to the next.

3. I have not had any issues. Make sure you wash your mini's before priming them (though I did the yeti's without this step and they were okay, but I may have got lucky). SHAKE the primer WELL. I cannot stress this enough, try for at least two minutes, as well as shaking during the process when you refill your airbrush with primer. shoot as recommended on the bottle (30-40psi), and most of all shoot straight from the bottle, DO NOT thin. This should be all you need to get a good prime.

What setup did you get, btw?

1. Interesting. If I recall, liner is akin to ink, which I typically do not thin in the airbrush as it is quite thin already. But when I do thin it, I don't use water, I use Vallejo's Airbrush thinner. Same kind I use when I thin paints that are not specifically formulated for airbrush. It's made to thin so the paint can pass through, but does not produce a beading effect like water sometimes can. On that note, I prime Bones with primer. That's one of the conveniences of having an airbrush - no more worry about melting plastics with rattlecans and no more laboring to prime same by hand (or with weird materials).

2. When I paint a bunch at a time, I just double up packing tape on cardboard and press the minis down firmly. Your airbrush should not be so powerful that it is blowing them off of the taped surface. If it is, two things may be at play: you might need to turn your psi down on your compressor; or maybe you are holding the airbrush too close to the model.

When I do individuals, I blue tack them to these very handy heavy rubber sink stoppers. You should be able to find them at hardware stores, like ACE. I reserve those for more detailed models needing more attention, though.

3. I don't have experience with Stylenz. I assume they are acrylic? Beading could be caused by a few things. I know you are experienced and know how to clean your models, so I would say maybe latent moisture in the airbush? That would go away after a minute or two, though... I tend to spray a very thin coat of primer first, then build up with a second, possibly third coat. I would say maybe try to "dust" the mini on the first pass? Hold the brush eight or so inches away and release the paint slowly to get a quick dusting first.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 1

I use blue tac to hold the minis to old prescription bottles.

As far as painting CAVs, they have a LOT more release agent on them than most Bones, you have to scrub the snot out of them. I make up some warm water with dish washing detergent, leave them in the warm water and grab out a piece at a time, scrub with an old soft toothbrush, rinse thoroughly and repeat.  When I do this I have never had a problem with beading. if I have a RCI, and don't get the agent off, painting/priming turns out lousy.

• Like 1

I airbrush a lot on plastic models but have never airbrushed a Bones figure (yet) so here is some general advice.

Whenever I am trying a new color or different/unfamiliar paints, I always test on plastic spoons.  This helps to let me know if it is too thin, not the right color I was aiming for, glossiness, etc.

I usually have my compressor set for 15psi when I am painting a part and try to do nice smooth passes over the piece.  Start the air/paint flowing before passing over the part and then only stop after passing the part.  This way it is a steady flow of air/paint when going over the part.

I always use the paint brand's thinner for thinning paint.  Other things may be cheaper but I always feel like I have better results using the thinner made for that paint.

Beading is usually caused by too thin of a paint and/or you are too close to the part and/or your compressor is blowing harder than it should be.

I feel weird saying this since I was just replying to another thread encouraging me to paint miniatures but airbrushing also does take some practice so just keep at it and it will get easier and you will feel more comfortable with using it.

• Like 3