Reaper Ron

Announcing Reaper Bones Black!

20 hours ago, Ant said:

Just got my owlbear in the mail today and I was so pleasantly surprised by the quality I decided to finally take the leap and register just to talk about it (long time lurker). I'm glad to see I'm not the only one excited by the base. I've never been particularly impressed with the "broccoli" bases most bones have so its nice to see a figure with the base already separate. That said, its also probably the first base I will keep as its round, sits flat, and most important its actually the correct size for D&D (why can't they all be like this?).

As for the figure itself I really like the harder plastic which allows the detail to show though. I'm curious, is Bones Black even still PVC? Probably going to have to revisit what primers and paints work best. Anyone tried plastic glue on it?

To be fair, a lot of their catalog came out before the current edition of D&D, and the "correct" size of bases has varied over the years. 

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome @Ant

I'm curious about the new material as well.

What primer or basecoat will be best?

Is it like the white Bones , hydrorepellant?

And what glue is best for this?

Anyway, stick around and show what you paint!

Glitter, have you gotten one of the owlbears yet?

• Like 5

The new material takes to Vallejo brush-on Surface Primer real well. It's my go-to 'apartment living' primer since I no longer have access to a yard for spray priming.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

The new material takes to Vallejo brush-on Surface Primer real well. It's my go-to 'apartment living' primer since I no longer have access to a yard for spray priming.

What about airbrush priming indoors? Badger's primer is great for bones!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Glitter, have you gotten one of the owlbears yet?

No, last time I ordered was with the Christmas Dragons.

I couldn't find enough to order this time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

No, last time I ordered was with the Christmas Dragons.

I couldn't find enough to order this time.

You could just order the owlbear itself:)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

You could just order the owlbear itself:)

"Fly Owlbear fly!!!" 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:

"Fly Owlbear fly!!!" 

Yeah, but when they poop on your car, it takes forever to get it clean!

• Haha 12

You know, the more I keep looking at the owlbear, the more I feel he would fit in perfectly to the Yeti Ball project:) Come to think of it, so does viridius:)

• Like 6

There's a post on FB of one of the new Owlbears with an ear and a finger snapped off. Looks like BB is not as durable as regular Bones. Still better than metal, or resin.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

There's a post on FB of one of the new Owlbears with an ear and a finger snapped off. Looks like BB is not as durable as regular Bones. Still better than metal, or resin.

I saw that pic too.

Will need to keep an eye on how common that is once more Bones Black minis get into the hands of the public.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Crowley said:

To be fair, a lot of their catalog came out before the current edition of D&D, and the "correct" size of bases has varied over the years. 

Well to be honest correct size isn't as important to me as shape. I can have a smaller giant or re-base the occasional mini to keep up with scale creep. I'm more concerned with bases that are shaped like an 8 (or whatever) I don't understand how those are useful to anyone. They look jarring on top of a standard base and it's difficult to match the texture if you want to make the mini "flush." I generally have to re-base my reaper figures but would honestly prefer to keep a textured base.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I saw that pic too.

Will need to keep an eye on how common that is once more Bones Black minis get into the hands of the public.

I would not expect that to be common. I've been testing the durability by hand, you can clearly tell the material isn't as resilient as normal bones, but it's not nearly as fragile as something like a GW plastic mini. 

The material feels very similar (durability wise) to what a lot of the bigger board game companies are putting out, CMON or Monolith as examples. It should survive a couple drops and normal wear and tear but if you wanted to break it you could easily find a way to.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Aww. But I want to LITERALLY throw a dragon (assuming there is a BB dragon someday) at my players. That means if I don't put an eye out, the dragon will end up hitting the floor or the wall. I don't want to damage the dragon. :) 

• Haha 5

On 1/2/2019 at 11:27 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

Quote below was posted by Reaper on their Facebook page:

“the Owlbear is our first model to promote the line. Each month will feature a new promotional mini, and regular Bones Black minis will be for sale starting in the spring.”

Reaper also posted the pic below of two Bones Black minis coming out in 2019. Although it wasn’t specified if these would be part of the monthly freebie giveaways or retail pieces only.AC52E516-0D18-46E7-B200-CFADE4AB5BAE.thumb.jpeg.e4ee9184db6df258ef91f9f6c00daff7.jpeg

On the latest episode of Reaper Live it was confirmed the Bones IV troll in the photo will be next months freebie mini for qualifing online orders.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1