Reaper's Not Quite a Maiden Bust by Cyr

A certain platypus managed to snag a Maiden Bust on my behalf.

I love the sculpt. The casting is... meh. Sorry Reaper, metal is working better for you than resin. The resin had funky tiny chunks on parts, edge of the hand and rose are odd, and lips are a little rough on the edges. Mostly rough edges. I cleaned what I could, and am using gloss varnish on other odd bits to smooth them, but I can't get it all. 

But in the slightly funky surface, I saw an opportunity. What if she wasn't quite a maiden? What if she was kinda... dead? Not all the way dead. Just becoming dead or undead, as if from a curse. And the rose is the only thing holding the curse at bay. 

So maybe Cyr is crazy. Maybe Cyr is going to paint something awesome. 

So far she has gray primer, dabs of gloss varnish, eyes, maiden flesh on one side, dusky flesh on the other, and a base coated rose. 

Her live area will be blonde. Her dead side will have "white" hair, and a blackish rose. 

The dusky skin and the vallejo nocturna white flesh are amazingly similar in tone, but very different in feel. Right now the difference is subtle, but as I shade it, the live side will get more rosy and warm, while the dead side will become more gaunt and sullen, like a starving vampire. 

At least... that's the plan. 

Think I can pull it off?

20181231_215045.jpg

20181231_215039.jpg

20181231_215050.jpg

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 22

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GlenP
      Sea Storm is a resin female pirate bust from Altores Studios in 1/9th scale. The piece is basically the head/body, the hat, pipe, and a loop earring. I replaced the earring with copper wire. Apart from some mold trash where the coat and torso meet, there were no major issues. Primed with my dwindling supply of Floquil Railroad Colors' Gray Primer and painted with Reaper acrylics.

Questions and Comments welcomed... ain't no secrets here.

Glen

• By Mckenna35
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1904826165/blood-and-skulls

Story
      Wellcome to our biggest miniatures ever! Blood and Skulls ork rider is the largest and more detailed miniature in 70 mm scale that Nocturna models released in all of these years. This project is really monstruous and we need your help to fund it.
      Take a look at all the figures in the campaign, all of them are in 70 mm scale. Blood and Skulls is 28 cm high!
        28 cm total size
    • By Cyradis
      So I gotta say... the cast quality was so so on this. So I decided to hide that with "kinda dead". Very loosely inspired by Salem from RWBY. I put the figure down about 25% done for over a year then slammed it out in February as a "get it done" and to practice white hair before going to the next Vancouver paint club figure. Sucks that this one somehow also felt a bit like a self portrait by the time I was done. 

• By angelGPD
      Hi i just want to introduce you Marise Greyshroud Wraith Queen.

• By Maledrakh
      This is the "Soul Stealer" bust from Artisan Guild's welcome pack on patreon. I printed it on my Elegoo Mars Pro resin printer.
      This might be the first bust I have ever painted, not counting an Orc bust from the very early days of Forge World that I started but never finished and sold off at some point in the distant past (oh, the Folly of Youth).

So why this newfound fascination for busts? I hear you ask.

Well, it's the RCL again. "Bust" is a quarterly category, and since Reaper only make a very few busts, none of which are readily available at the moment (there will be a few released after Bones 5 fulfills later this year), the fine folks at Reaper have decreed that bust entries are not limited to Reaper product.

Did I mention that the RCL has been a fun way to choose what to paint? It really helps to keep things fresh and to motivate to finish the pieces I start. And now also to paint other stuff than I usually would.

I do not buy busts as they are generally outside my scope of interest. However, I do own one or two busts as .stl-files that have been parts of patreon bundles.
      And with such an extensive library of files at hand, once I decide to do one, it does not take long to make supports and print one off.

But what to choose? Tentacle-face or a human face?

Do you want to know more?

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)