Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

What other hobbies do you have?

I run... sometimes a lot.. some times a lot more than that.. 

edit: i also read voraciously, play the occasional fortnite with my kids and tinker with computer gear (outside of work)

Edited by eldamir
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Well. SOME people have a lot of time on their hands.:ph34r:

To be fair, at this point sleep is what I do instead of all the other things I need to do. :rolleyes:

But to actually answer the question (I was in bed, falling asleep when I first answered): ideally my hobbies include: drawing, painting things other than minis, cooking, baking, sewing, and reading. As you can see, I don't like going outside. 

In far fetched dreamland, I would have Martha Stewart's life (minus the pretentiousness), and add keeping a little farm to that list. And by little farm I mean: mini horses, Pygmy goats, mini pigs, tiny chickens (or quails, button quails are freakin adorable), and cows as small as I can get them. All guarded by a Caucasian mountain dog ::D:

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

I'm not allowed to call my writing a hobby due to tax purposes. But given how little I made last year...

Astronomy. I try to keep up on the research in planetary astrophysics and on the current state of exoplanets. I want my Webb to launch!

I cook. When I get bored I cook a lot.

I used to read fortunes and set up wards and perform exorcisms and alter reality as a paid enterprise. Now I guess it's a hobby?

I used to draw and read and brew beer and follow Star Trek a lot more. Now less so. 

I also have several appreciations that don't quite reach 'hobby' level. Like coffee. Civil War history. Hiking. Birding. Herbalism. Bioware games.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

GLITTERBOMB! *makes @Glitterwolf explode*

..............ohhhhhhh, I'm going to get letters about this one..........:ph34r:

*pulls out super glue,  starts putting Glitterwolf together one piece at a time*

Technowolf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

RPGs - back when I had the time.

Scale models (WWII aircraft mostly) - back when I had time.

Bass and Guitar - back when I had time.

Restoring old British cars - my summer hobby, which leave me no time for miniatures . . .

The Egg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*looks at the near-finished product* I think I made an improvement!

DSCN9176.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

I forgot to answer,  collecting old guns and shooting them. I also run the pages for American Zoot Shooting Association, we dress up in style from the Prohibition Era and shoot guns from back then. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

Besides mini collecting, painting, and the like I have several other hobbies...as well as hobbies I'd like to take up.

• Video games
  • Coloring 
  • Reading (though it takes me a while to finish things now due to reasons)
  • Cooking (when I have the(metaphorical) spoons)
  • Sewing/Cosplaying (though I haven't cosplayed in a long time) I also sew dice bags
  • Blogging and social media for my minis stuff

I'd also really like to take up cross stitching but I'm not allowed new hobbies until we get a bigger place.

• Like 8

On 1/4/2019 at 10:49 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 5, 2019

Have you ever used a CB [citizen band] radio?

No.  A friend of mine back in high school was into it, but I never tried.

18 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

Shopping for miniatures.

Video games - currently Switch and PC though I have some PS3 and PS2 games I've never finished and may get back to.

Watching sports - though frequently it is more doing other things while sports are on in the background.

Cooking - not sure if I really consider it a hobby over a necessity, but I do it enough.

Exercise - also not sure if it counts but its something I do pretty much every day.

• Like 8

CB Radio: Yes! My dad is a retired radio tech for the State Patrol. He insisted his kids knew how to use CB's when we got our licenses. 

Hobbies: Tabletop gaming (both board and RPG), beer brewing, photographing odd fungi, co-authoring journal articles every so often, and stomping around in streams and wetlands looking for interesting plants and critters. Thankfully I get paid to do the last one, I do it for free whenever I get the chance, but it's nice to do it for a living. 

• Like 8

If the question had been:

What activities do you do, that The Griffin Pendrake does not think of as hobbies?

...a lot of these answers would fit that. 

• PC Games ( Mostly Strategy and RPG and Citybuilders)
  • Writing backstories for my minis and projects
  • Hiking
  • I like to travel ( Citytrips/vacations)
  • My Dog. ( walk and play and train)
  • adult colouring books.
  • Martial Arts ( although these days I train little)
  • Cooking ( I'm a Hobby Chef)
  • Board Games
  • Watching Movies/Series
  • Listen and collect music ( mostly Metal/Rock and such)

I am underlining the ones where I think, “OK that’s a hobby”.

This is [?] misattributed to Zink:

9 hours ago, Zink said:

Kayaking, snowshoeing, hiking, bird watching, airsoft.

Reading, watercolors, cross stitch, stained glass.

Jigsaw puzzles, legos, board games.

Cosplay, gardening, cooking.

...I am not trying to start a debate. 

10 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

RPG's--mostly D&D, but I have some sci-fi and other genres, too.

Reading

Building/painting models (tanks, airplanes, railroads)

Legos

Games (war, board, other)

Paintball

...just noticing the collective thread populace has a much broader idea of what is a hobby. 

11 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

play DnD weekly and other RPGs on occasion.  I read fantasy and Sci-fi.

My biggest other hobby is researching other hobbies.  I watch a bunch of videos, and read a bunch of articles about woodworking, carpentry, metalworking and bladesmithing.

...last four could be hobbies or full-on trades. 

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Hiking (too long neglected)

D&D 

Blogging (about D&D and minis mostly)

Reading

I guess blogging is-can be a hobby...

But:

13 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Reading and cooking aren't hobbies, just part of living, like breathing...

...right there with you RD. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

Nothing too spectacular, wildlife photography, exploring nature reserves, watching awful horror movies and running. I run to try and keep fit- I love carbs too much to not do regular exercise. Unfortunately my running style on the flat is best described as "flailing zombie" ::D: At least one a week, a fellow runner will approach and gently ask if I'm alright. I seriously envy those elegant, gazelle-like runners that glide past me.

I'm pretty good at altitudes though- I used to do a lot of mountain climbing, but I don't have much time for that nowadays :down:

• Like 6

I think whether something is considered a hobby or not is highly individual.

For example, I like to play with Legos, but I only do so on occasion when visiting someone. I also sometimes play boardgames, especially when visiting my mom. I would neither consider a hobby of mine. But for someone who collects a lot of Lego, knows all the stuff about all the releases, neatly organises them, etc, it would very much be a hobby.

In the same way, my boyfriend's hobby definetly isn't cooking. He is able to cook, so he won't starve, and he doesn't hate it. I, on the other hand, love to cook and bake. I collect cookbooks. I try to experiment with food all the time. I talk to the other more involved cooks in the family, and even though we all live in different cities, we're interested in what the others are cooking. I stood in the kitchen for two days to make the dessert for Christmas dinner with the family. It's part of my identity, people know me as the person who cooks and bakes (also who won't be able to resist to DM for anyone who asks, and the person who paints miniatures). And I love doing it. So yes, I would define cooking as my hobby.

• Like 8