Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 12, 2019

Are you a tabletop or display painter?

Technically tabletop, but I've been too busy assembling to do more than hit them up with a coat of spray primer.

• Like 7

A follow up question, if Corsair will forgive me.

Do any of you paint in more than one style?

Broadly speaking I have 2. Firstly what I call "Cartoon"; Very bright colours and quite contrasty. Secondly "Realistic"; considerably more muted colours and a more limited, matching palette.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Broadly speaking I have 2. Firstly what I call "Cartoon"; Very bright colours and quite contrasty. Secondly "Realistic"; considerably more muted colours and a more limited, matching palette.

Depends on what I paint.

I have painted an Elf in Anime Style.

Most Undead are Ghotic/gritty

My Reptiles are bright or natural coloured

When I paint an animal I want it to look natural.

• Like 6

Low tabletop.  Mostly basecoat with minimal lining.  Occasionally I will do full shadow and highlight and some wash but that is the extent of my toolbox.  I have some dexterity problems with close lines.  On the other hand, most of the players in our local group are fine with unpainted minis in the game.  Only character are normally painted. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

That's an interesting comment. I had never considered that you would have to deliberately do to TT quality

For me its that I need to remind myself that a table top mini doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to look good from a distance. Unfortunately I find myself spending way more time on a table top piece than I need to. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Both.  Some minis are for gaming and some are not.

4 minutes ago, SGHawkins09 said:
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

That's an interesting comment. I had never considered that you would have to deliberately do to TT quality

For me its that I need to remind myself that a table top mini doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to look good from a distance. Unfortunately I find myself spending way more time on a table top piece than I need to.  

Indeed.  I was much faster back when I picked up the Vampire box than I am now.  I have so many Bones I need to work on speeding things up.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I don't think I have a style, I just colour them in.

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Currently I paint at the tabletop level, but I have hopes to eventually get up to being able to paint at the display level.

• Like 6

Solid tabletop painter, with lofty aspirations of attaining Super Saiyan display-level.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes.

By which i mean that most of the stuff I do is for tabletop use, but I do like to push myself to do a really great job on things every now and then.

This is how I roll.

• Like 6

I have come to accept that tabletop is where I need to set my mind.

When I first started ~15 months ago I was actually scared to paint anything at all because if it wasn't what I considered "display level stunning" then surely I had failed, right?

I spent months and months watching videos, reading books blogs and magazines about painting- and not actually doing any painting at all because I was convinced that the models I had, which were going to be used in tabletop gaming, needed to be display level quality. Or else I had "wasted them"  But they don't need to be like that, I may never enter a competition, I may never like a model enough to put it on display in my own home, but I now paint to a level where, when I DM and pull out a painted model and put it on the table my players gasp and want to hold it and look at it and tell me what a good job I've done (vain, I know) but to me that is 100% enough now- the look on my players faces when a tabletop quality model hits the table brings me joy, and while I aim to improve, I don't think becoming "Display level/ competition winning" is on the table for me, nor is it my goal.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

these days my painting has been limited to household upkeep, the walls of the house needed painting.

other than walls, I do more canvas painting than miniatures, so that is more display

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Arguably, for some things it would depend.  Larger dragons, I aim for higher, but don't have any lofty ambitions...  Same applies with stuff like heroes/captains/Veteran Sergeants with armies - I want to put a bit more attention into them, but I try not to go totally overboard.  So... Somewhere in between for most things is where I aim?

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

I... honestly have no idea if I have a particular style I paint in, truth be told! >.>;;;;

• Like 5

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Great add on!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1