Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

A follow up question, if Corsair will forgive me.

Do any of you paint in more than one style?

Broadly speaking I have 2. Firstly what I call "Cartoon"; Very bright colours and quite contrasty. Secondly "Realistic"; considerably more muted colours and a more limited, matching palette.

I don't think I'm skilled enough to have a particular style, aside from "fully painted" and "some paint, some primer" :lol:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Broadly speaking I have 2. Firstly what I call "Cartoon"; Very bright colours and quite contrasty. Secondly "Realistic"; considerably more muted colours and a more limited, matching palette.

I've been accused of having a vaguely impressionistic style. I used to be better at blending than I was at staying in the lines. Paradoxically, I got better at staying in the lines when I gave up the size 0 brushes and picked up my size 3 and 4. I've never freehanded with anything less than a size 4.

• Like 10

On 1/10/2019 at 11:53 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 11, 2019

How did you meet your spouse/significant other?

By helping walk her back to her dorm at night after a club meeting.

This was the second meeting of the college anime club that year.  She had gone to the first meeting, her first club meeting ever as a college student, and needed to walk back to her dorm afterwards.  She didn't want to walk back alone.  Earlier that evening, she had struck up a conservation with one of my friends, and my friend agreed to walk back with her.  Another of my friends went with (convenient since I think they had driven to campus together).

Later that evening, those two friends and I met and they talked about walking a nice girl back to her dorm.  I asked them not to try to hook me up with her.  My most recent relationship had just ended horribly and I was going to take a hiatus from romance.

I and the rest of my friends joined in the next week's walk back.  And so walking my future wife back to her dorm after meetings became a weekly tradition.

One day, I noticed her looking at the stars and I invited to take her to the park after dark to look at the stars better.  And then it rained, so we caught a bus to the mall and ate in the food court and talked instead.

We were officially dating by Christmas and then married almost thirteen years later.  And here we are.

• Like 11

Everyone here saying that they paint at tabletop level has me concerned that you folks are a bit harsh on yourselves -- my oldest son plays or DMs 4 or 5 campaigns right now and recently informed me that what I consider to be tabletop level is the holy grail of painting for the majority of minis that he sees folks paint. 

And I know that I'm a far cry below most of you other folks on here :)  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Everyone here saying that they paint at tabletop level has me concerned that you folks are a bit harsh on yourselves -- my oldest son plays or DMs 4 or 5 campaigns right now and recently informed me that what I consider to be tabletop level is the holy grail of painting for the majority of minis that he sees folks paint. 

And I know that I'm a far cry below most of you other folks on here :)  

Well, I know that my skills aren't up to competition level, but they aren't "tabletop" level. I like them to look good when I'm holding them 2 inches from my face :lol:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, paintybeard said:

I do the cartoony style. My bright, vibrant colors are a habit from painting Renaissance, 18th Century, Napoleonic miniatures.

When I started painting fantasy I figured they should be as bright as actual costumes/uniforms. 

You did phrase that is a rather insulting way you know.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 12, 2019

Are you a tabletop or display painter?

I read this question as "Do you consider yourself to be a tabletop or display painter?"

And so my response is: I consider myself to be a mediocre painter.

This perception is really important to me.  As long as (I believe) I am a "mediocre" painter, I can (allow myself to) be satisfied with "mediocre" results.  (I believe) I have no innate talent so I have no expectations (self-imposed or from others) to live up to regarding my results.  (Whether or not talent actually exists is an exercise left to the reader.)

I paint to relax.  It has nothing to do with my day job.  It has nothing to do with problems I have to solve or am expected to solve.  It's me against myself, against my own knowledge, mucking around in an unfamiliar realm.

Of course, I want to improve.  Each mini gives me the opportunity to practice, or even to try something new, even if it's as simple as practicing basecoat/wash/drybrush (e.g. 14352: Unforgiven, Crusader Grunt) or blending and NMM (e.g. 77158: Arrius, Skeletal Warrior) or even trying out OSL for the first time (e.g. 77210: Sarah the Seeress, although faintly).

I want to be the best painter I can be, in time, and I want to produce good looking miniatures.  But I also want to internalize the perception of being "mediocre."  I fear that the minute I start considering myself a "good" painter, I will start fighting with self-imposed expectations and brainweasels and painting will cease to be fun and relaxing.

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, malefactus said:

You did phrase that is a rather insulting way you know.

How was that insulting? :blink: He was describing his own personal styles, not ascribing what other folks styles had to be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Malefactus, I certainly did not mean for it to be insulting or demeaning in any way, my apologies if I did offend. My own painting skills are certainly tabletop level, while many, yourself included, I would consider to be display quality. I envy the creativity and skills shown by so many here!

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

How was that insulting? :blink: He was describing his own personal styles, not ascribing what other folks styles had to be.

Well in stead of "Broadly speaking I have 2. Firstly what I call "Cartoon"; Very bright colours and quite contrasty. Secondly "Realistic"; considerably more muted colours and a more limited, matching palette."

"Cartoon" does have a negative context to it...that might explain why I was really angry."Colorful" might have been a nice way of putting it.

I would image that if you do a subdued palette, you might be offended if instead of Realistic it was put Drab or Unimaginative. 

2 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Malefactus, I certainly did not mean for it to be insulting or demeaning in any way, my apologies if I did offend. My own painting skills are certainly tabletop level, while many, yourself included, I would consider to be display quality. I envy the creativity and skills shown by so many here!

You didn't offend, Corsair. The quote wasn't your doing. The "Cartoon" came from paintybeard.

I am glad you like my stuff. You underestimate your own abilities , however. I enjoy the things you paint.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

"Colorful" might have been a nice way of putting it.

I’d use fanciful myself to describe your style. It’s very storybookish too I find.Very illustrative.

But I also use the terms cartoonish and realistic when comparing miniature proportions.

I don’t mean anything negative with either term and actually prefer less realistic looking minis.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I didn't see cartoonish as an insult in the slightest either, especially if someone is referring to their own work like that. It makes me think of old bright color super hero costumes, which are entertaining. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for January 13, 2019

I have over _____ minis waiting to be painted...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 13, 2019

I have over _____ minis waiting to be painted...

Agree with 20. Goblin math is going to be the trump card for most answers.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2