Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 17, 2019

Do you have a college degree, and if so, what is it?

No.  I started a degree in Computer Engineering but didn't finish due to life issues.  I keep meaning to go back to college and finish but it's so expensive these days and I don't think I could get enough of a break from work to actually study for my courses, do projects, etc.

If I won the lottery and had retired, I'd consider going back to college for something related to bioinformatics.

• Like 7

Yep. BS in both Biology and Environmental Science. MS in Applied Microeconomic Theory (environmental economics). I use the first 2 in my day job on a regular basis. Unfortunately I don't get to use the last one at work too often, but I've stayed close with my advisor from grad school and will occasionally coauthor a paper with him and one of his current grad students. I still audit the occasional class just because I'm always interested in learning new stuff. I'm considering a class on field identification of fungi this spring and one of our local community colleges has a class on getting your FAA drone certification that I'm looking at taking after that. If I won the lottery I'd be a permanent student. 

Edited by Thoramel
Edited for typo.
  • Like 8

yes, BA Communications

• Like 7

On 1/15/2019 at 1:57 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 15, 2019

What was the first Star Wars movie you saw, and where?

I sat the first Star Wars, which for some reason or other they called Part IV or something, in a theater in Port Jefferson Station.

I enjoyed the first viewing; it lost its charm with the second...I'm not a fan. The theater was converted into a Block Busters subsequently.

I saw the next two somewhere or other.. The rest I avoided.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:04 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 16, 2019

A semi-follow-on to yesterday, do you have a favorite movie or TV series?

There are SO many movies I love, but my favorite is Inherit The Wind; the original version with Spenser Tracy, Fredric March, & Gene Kelly.

English Literature & Anthropology...one in each. 

• Like 9

I'm a USN trained Electronics Technician, w/ specialties in communications.  Back when i did my training, it was basically the equivalent of an Associates in Electronics, my understanding is that might no longer be the case for younger sailors. 

I also have an AS in Small Business, and was 2 classes short of an AS in Accounting when I divorced, dropped out and moved.   At one point, I started to go back to school for programming, but got frustrated with the school, and dropped out - realized that I could learn what I wanted to about programming better, easier and far less expensively via the internet that paying for accreditation I would likely never use/need.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

"Do you want fries with that?"

::P:

Actually though, I grow crystals and build detector arrays for PET machines.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In answer to my own question, no. Started on an Aviation Engineering Degree but my Dad got sick and I had to come home to take on the bills for a while. Never got back to school full-time. Got married and took a job with the Illinois Department of Corrections working a maximum security Prison called Menard. Stabbed twice, scalded 4 times, lots of fights, etc. Eventually promoted to Parole Agent and retired from that after almost 27 years. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

No, took 3 years towards a BSA in mechanical agriculture. My dad hit a rough spot and really wanted my help and I was tired of city life so came home to the farm. At first I intended to go back and finish in a year or two but it never happened. I'm also a certified gunsmith although to be honest that course was something of a joke and I've never done anything with it either. The only course in all my post secondary education I use was a welding elective.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

I dropped out of college four times. I don't have that much tolerance for nonsense.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I dropped out of college four times. I don't have that much tolerance for nonsense.

However, you do appear to have a knack for not giving up on the first try ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Nope.  Tried the college thing twice (a four year and two year curriculum)  but couldn't focus enough to maintain the necessary discipline. Though I did continue to pursue esoteric forms of observational study and analysis that I started during my high school education.

• Like 5

Yes, it's a drag on my budget, that's what it is :angry: 

:cough: Bachelor of the Arts, focused in design and environmental stuff. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, VitM said:

::P:

Actually though, I grow crystals and build detector arrays for PET machines.

I would like more information on this. PET machines use crystals? You grow them? 

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

ADN, BSN, working on grad school for my FNP. 

soooo maaaany reeeeesearch classes.... lol

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Zink gunsmith? Nice! 

Love guns of all types but with a special interest on older western and military stuff. Had planned on doing repairs and special orders for people as a sideline to farming. There's a couple shops like that in the area but the closest is over 100km from here. Timing was bad as that was right when the government starting imposing more restrictions and regulations on firearms. Things relaxed some years later but by then I was married and don't even hunt very often any more. Never did buy the couple of guns that were on my wishlist. Maybe someday.

• Like 8