Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

Snark answer

Nuke-em University, I majored in Alien Anatomy and Tactics, minored in Snarky Remarks and um others. 

True 

No I graduated from a tech school for drafting. I work at a Dollar General..... what does that tell you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Loim said:

I have a BS in Computer Information Science. 

If I won the lottery I'd take Co-Op extension courses and spend all my time on the farm. 

I didn't know you were a farmin' man! That's awesome!

Edited by Marineal
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Just finished building a custom 1911 in Super .38 to copy what one would have looked like from Colt in the 20s , Caspian frame, Sig barrel, ATI slide, Wilson and Wolff insides. I did the fitting and had a gunsmith buddy do the trigger. It turned out really well.

I'm not really qualified to do more than your average tinkerer anymore. It's one thing to have read up and memorised how to do something and another to have the practical experience doing it. Plus it's been almost 20 years since I took the course. I'm more at home cleaning up and swapping out parts on WW2 rifles than doing fine work like custom trigger jobs. 

• Like 6

Oh, and I also went for 2.5 years of my 6 years to a Community College. I loved it, and the professors. If I could have gotten my degree in its entirety there I would absolutely have done it. So much cheaper, and honestly it was a lot nicer being in a class of 15-20 than in a class of 50. 

4 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm not really qualified to do more than your average tinkerer anymore. It's one thing to have read up and memorised how to do something and another to have the practical experience doing it. Plus it's been almost 20 years since I took the course. I'm more at home cleaning up and swapping out parts on WW2 rifles than doing fine work like custom trigger jobs. 

Gunsmithing is a dying art. I've had so much trouble looking for a good one where I live. It's a bit infuriating. The one good one I know of works when he feels like it, and most of the time he just wants to build custom knives. 

• Like 8

A representative difference between community college and the University of California:

UC: Okay class, I'm going to demonstrate a flame test. This is what you do. See, copper is blue-green that means our reaction was successful. No, I can't possibly allow any of you to do this, it's toxic and unsafe and expensive and hard to do.

Community College: Okay class, get the Bunsen burners out, we're gonna flame test every bottle on your bench. Now you dip the platinum wire in the 18M HCl and then set it on fire. Let it burn until the flame turns clear. Somebody open the door so we can get some ventilation in here. Now that the wire's been flamed, dip it in the uranium solution and then stick the wire in the flame. Look at that lime green color! Now the lead solution...

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

On 1/12/2019 at 3:45 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 12, 2019

Are you a tabletop or display painter?

Display/Show primarily, as the only painting I tend to do these days is for ReaperCon.  I do do some TT for myself, but that is mostly when I am trying to develop a technique for a show piece or working to shake the rust off after a long spell of sculpting with no painting. I am working on speed painting at a high level and am getting some success so I may do more of that this year.  That said I am also learning silversmithing right now on top of everything else so...

On 1/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 13, 2019

I have over _____ minis waiting to be painted...

No idea, but since my collection goes back to the late 70's and includes all the Bones KS's to date, you could likely fill a bathtub or two.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:13 PM, Corsair said:

Okay,  question for January 14, 2019

Who was your first "crush" on TV, movies or magazines?

Princess Lea

On 1/15/2019 at 1:57 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 15, 2019

What was the first Star Wars movie you saw, and where?

I'm pretty sure we rented New Hope and watched it before going to see Empire (I was only 7 when the first one came out).  I remember Empire though as the first, simply because my Dad took me to see it in the theater in St. Croix Falls, WI; just the two of us.  He even bought me the big popcorn.  It was a rare event and I still remember it to this day, not the movie, but getting a night with just the two of us guys.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:04 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 16, 2019

A semi-follow-on to yesterday, do you have a favorite movie or TV series?

LOTR movies, extended versions.

TV: Forged in Fire

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 17, 2019

Do you have a college degree, and if so, what is it?

Yes

BS: English--Technical Communications, specialized in Linguistics and Graphic Arts, minored in Biology.

Most people find the BS weird, but I originally started out as a Genetic Engineering major, so I already had all of the math credits by the time I switched to Tech. Comm.  My only regret is that I didn't stay an extra quarter and get the 6 credits I would have needed to turn that Bio minor into a major.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ahhhh, a lifer.  Nothing wrong with such.  Dad retired after 20 years.  He considered the 5 year extension due to the perks, but pretty much laughed the officer out of the room when they told him he'd be in the middle of nowhere Quebec if he accepted.  Apparently dad didn't want to deal with the moving thing again... Well, at least to the middle of "nowhere" - he didn't say where, but I'm going to venture a guess they said Bagotville, and he didn't want a "downgrade" from working on helis (he went from Voodoo2's and CF-18's to Twin Hueys and Kiowas, and eventually Griffins). 

I'm a warrant Officer, I've been in the RNLAF since 1988.

Many Officers are younger but treat me with respect, in return I learn them how to behave in certain situations.

Those who not show respect soon learn the error of their ways.

I've had some civil jobs before I enlisted, I like the Air Force better.

Decades ago I got into a divorce and left the Air Force to try to prevent it.

Didn't work out and I re-enlisted.

There are some annoying things of course, but overall I love my job.

I'm the one you see when normal Logistic lines fail.

I'm the troubleshooter, the one who will get you what you need, even when it shouldn't be available.

Also I'm the one to teach new people and help others out when they struggle with the procedures.

• Like 13

Anyone who looks down on community college is a lump of cat puke :angry: I've heard too many academics disparage it because it wasn't "real" college. Ugh! Look buddy, community college fills an important need and doesn't have the over inflated ego of an anime villain!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 17, 2019

Do you have a college degree, and if so, what is it?

I have two associate's degrees. One in Culinary Arts and the other in Pastry Arts. These both included some restaurant management but that was not a degree option at the time.

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Anyone who looks down on community college is a lump of cat puke :angry: I've heard too many academics disparage it because it wasn't "real" college. Ugh! Look buddy, community college fills an important need and doesn't have the over inflated ego of an anime villain!

Those academics are poop faces. CC is darn good and useful. 

2 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I have two associate's degrees. One in Culinary Arts and the other in Pastry Arts. These both included some restaurant management but that was not a degree option at the time.

.... trade you a pretty rock for a tasty food? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

12 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Aw darn, I don't have anything to trade ::(: unless... you want an obnoxious cat? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Those academics are poop faces. CC is darn good and useful. 

I will accept pretty rock.

Just now, redambrosia said:

Aw darn, I don't have anything to trade ::(: unless... you want an obnoxious cat? :lol:

:lol: I'm sure as much as Husband wants another cat he'd say no because of our lease. I usually cook on game days though!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Agreed.

Anecdotally, I know more people who attended community college and got an Associates degree that are using their degree than people I know who got a Bachelors degree are. 

11 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Isn't that pretty much how money got invented? ::D:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

How does he taste with noodles?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I was hired because of the bachelor's thesis I had to write.

I was able to keep my job because of my Associates Degree in Math.

• Like 8