Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

How does he taste with noodles?

Probably pretty gross, based on his uh... "produce" :zombie:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

I was hired because I was 6'3", 250 pounds and willing to fight. Requirements are a little different in a max prison......

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 17, 2019

Do you have a college degree, and if so, what is it?

Nope. The idea of the debt nessessary to get one never sat well with me and while that limits me in some ways, I've worked alongside too many folks in the same crappy jobs as I've had that had them and in a worse financial situation than me because of it. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Just finished building a custom 1911 in Super .38 to copy what one would have looked like from Colt in the 20s , Caspian frame, Sig barrel, ATI slide, Wilson and Wolff insides. I did the fitting and had a gunsmith buddy do the trigger. It turned out really well.

I've got a buddy that works for Colt.  He's a 1911 man as well.

As for college; I have an AA in Electronic Engineering Technology.  From a CC in Callifornia that I never set foot into.  Most of the degree was my Navy training and a couple of elective that I did by corespondence course.  Though about going back for a BS, but I don't care much for distance learning courses and not interested in most of the dgree programs local to me.  They interfere with my gaming schedule.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 16, 2019

A semi-follow-on to yesterday, do you have a favorite movie or TV series?

Oh, for tv series, I really should mention that I love programs about animals. The Irwins' new show, the Zoo, that cat guy...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 18, 2019

How did you get into painting minis?

It was just a natural extension of the wargaming/plastic model-making that I was already doing when "Citadel" started up.  

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Corsair said:

D&D plastic prepaints. I kept thinking I could paint them to match the characters. So I did.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Bones 1. Minis and paint = new hobbie.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I decided I wanted to paint BattleTech miniatures.  The most recent intro box contained 26 plastic miniatures (24 one piece minis and two "premium" minis) and I decided they'd look better with paint.  I had seen several painted examples on the BattleTech forums and wanted to try my hand at it.  (I also saw some of the excellent conversion work and decided I wanted to try that some day.)

This was... mid 2016.

How did I get into painting fantasy minis?  I thought I understood the basics of painting (basecoat, wash, drybrush) but I wasn't too happy with my results.  This led me to buying the first Bones Learn to Paint Kit.  And I think I found painting the fantasy minis to be more fun, or at least more manageable in small chunks of time.  (Basecoating a lance of 'Mechs takes a while.)

And here we are.

It wasn't until after I started painting that I learned my mother had been painting miniatures when I was a wee baby.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Corsair said:

My boyfriend at the time. We were in college. It was 2005. He said "here paint these dudes". I had access to some cheap craft store brushes and second-hand paints. I didn't even have a desk, I used the back of someone's dorm dresser as my painting desk. I tried a few techniques I'd used in watercolors as a kid and in gel pen art as a teenager.

At first he didn't believe it was my first time painting a mini. Then he saw opportunity. He's the guy who convinced me to enter a speed painting competition at KublaCon in 2006 (I took 3rd place). He's the guy who used that 3rd place win to pimp me out to paint commissions until I burnt out in 2007. After I got back into painting a year later he started resenting me. He resented a whole lot of stuff. Things got bad. He's the guy who I left by fleeing into the night with the contents of a backpack in 2009. I had reasons to flee. That's where my original mini collection went, left behind when I fled.

Bones IV was really the first time I had the money, the opportunity, and the ability to really replace that collection I left behind. To be fair, I've bought enough minis since pledging to make for a good start too ::P:

That's also why I can never again paint commissions. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Through D&D. My brother asked me if I wanted to join him and his friends, I wanted to find a way to spend more time with my brother at the time, so I said sure. Couldn't find a pre-painted mini in my DM's collection to represent my guy, so I went looking myself. Bought a pre-paint I thought would work. Turns out it was a bugbear, not a cat-person, so I bought another. Didn't look closely enough at that one before purchasing, because it wasn't male and had a very robust bosom; many laughs were had and jokes made at my expense.

But, then I bought a THIRD mini... which was unpainted. So I said, "Self, you need to learn how to paint it. But, like, paint it well." And here I am, 9 years later, still trying to learn how to paint well.

@NebulousMissy while your story saddens me, it also makes me have tremendous admiration and respect for you and your actions, both in knowing when to get out and for persevering.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

City cousin used to come visit in the summers and introduced me and another country cousin to D&D. He had a handful of minis with him for us to use as characters. That sparked the interest but it was a few years before we saw the address for Grenadier minis in the AD&D rulebooks and ordered a catalogue. Bought a few minis and painted them badly with oil based paints. Eventually switched over to GW everything in the late 80s because there was a relatively local game store dealing in it. Always did do most of my buying by mail order even pre internet.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

@NebulousMissy while your story saddens me, it also makes me have tremendous admiration and respect for you and your actions, both in knowing when to get out and for persevering.

I couldn't have said it better.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I started playing RPGs around 9,  and collected a few minis at the time.  Bought lots more in Jr High.

painted (base coat and wash) armies for skirmish wargames (chainmail?)   then when I left for college all my paints dried up.

I kept playing D&D  for a decade until in 2012 a guy I was gaming with told me all about this new thing called kickstarter and it was blowing up. 

I thought  Iwas just getting them for gaming but fell in love with the hobby.

Do you have a college degree, and if so, what is it?

Masters in Urban Planning. 

• Like 9