Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Aw darn, I don't have anything to trade ::(: unless... you want an obnoxious cat? :lol:

I bid two obnoxious cats!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 18, 2019

How did you get into painting minis?

I was already doing some art classes as a kid, and I definitely liked fantasy genre books and computer games. My dad took me to the hobby store (now closed, much sadness), and got me set up with some minis and enamel paint - like he used when he was in high school, painting and doing D&D. I was ~12-13 when I started painting. I only had his guidance and my own patience (and a lot of time shaking the darn enamels!) for a long time. Took a hiatus, but brought my collection to college. Started painting again, and found that there are these great things called minis acrylic paints that don't take 30mins of rigorous shaking, and will dry relatively swiftly instead of in 40mins. Painted for my college D&D group and for fun, and found the Reaper forums then... they broke me of some bad habits, but not all. Took another hiatus when classes got rough. Restarted during grad school at Sir Cyr's friendly pestering. As it turns out, my general attitude went from generic "good with details" to "become good at nitpicky everything" between undergrad and grad school, and I am better at being obsessive now. So.... minis take a LONG time to paint but I think I learn a ton faster nowadays and can apply it soon after. It also helped that the Colorado mini painters found me on the forums and dragged me to paint with them. I didn't have friends to paint with until 2017. I probably never would have gone on hiatus either time if I had friends painting with me! 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Not quite sure exactly how, but dad is partially to blame, as are model cars, which I had a slight fascination nwirh when younger but that died after a bit....  So I'll blame dad, plus the GW Outrider (remember those?) that stopped into Warp 2 shortly after 40k 3rd edition came out, and who showed me the ropes... 

I also playfully blame that Outrider for getting me hooked on the Space Wolves lore!!   I didn't buy any GW minis until 2001-2002 though.  I think.  Can't quite remember exactly when, dates are blurry for that. 

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I decided I wanted to paint BattleTech miniatures.  The most recent intro box contained 26 plastic miniatures (24 one piece minis and two "premium" minis) and I decided they'd look better with paint.  I had seen several painted examples on the BattleTech forums and wanted to try my hand at it.  (I also saw some of the excellent conversion work and decided I wanted to try that some day.)

Wait, there are BattleTech starter sets that come with minis now? O_o

.... No, I must behave, I have to finish pledging CAV first... 

.. I haven't purchased any Battletech stuff since the old Fasa days, come to think of it...  Wonder if I still have my 4th edition boxed sets (or if parents were stupid and threw them out when I wasn't looking)... 

• Like 6

I first started collecting D&D prepainted minis, then got a couple pro painted ones for my D&D games. After that I bought a couple Reaper metal figures (they're still in the blister) because I thought they were cool, and I always had the intention of painting them. However, I had no clue where I would possibly start, so they sat in a box for a long time. Got back into Pathfinder several years later and I used my old figures for that. Rediscovered Reaper Miniatures when the Bones 2 kickstarter was running, but wife was already in palliative care at the time so I wasn't able to get into it. Loved the updates during it, though, and the silliness always brought a smile to her face. Eventually I found out Bones 3 was starting, so I backed it immediately. Everyone in the comments section was so friendly and welcoming, and @buglips*the*goblin and others invited me to the forums. I've been here ever since, and I've loved every minute of it. After Bones 3 finished I suddenly thought 'Holy crap, I have a ton of miniatures coming to me, maybe I should start learning to paint them.' I learned as much as I could from everyone on the forums and started out with the basic paints and brushes, and painted my first kobolds. After that it kind of took off for me, though it's died down quite a bit in the last year or so.

• Like 11

I learned how to play D&D at the end of the ‘70’s, but the first two groups I learned from didn’t use minis.

In 1980 I decided they’d be useful to have in the game so I bought a set of Heritage Adventurers from their Dungeon Dwellers line. I always had a fascination for miniature things so seeing those adventurers in the lead sealed the deal for me. Continued with adding Grenadiers adventurers and monsters and Ral Parthas monsters and the collecting never stopped.

Polly S paints were my paints of choice back then. They came in glass bottles with metal screw top lids, so unfortunately they didn’t last. I do still have a few bottles, not many, of the old Ral Partha paints.

Here’s a couple pics of that original Heritage box. I still have the minis too but they’re not readily accessible.

D08F63D9-F12B-4196-8B07-FF83293E468F.thumb.jpeg.ea2fba4db90d1444d866f26ba451f492.jpeg5B232130-E0CB-436F-8B7A-253AC3577A0F.thumb.jpeg.57d0f55b2a9f200944f808b84ad28ce0.jpeg

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

My boyfriend at the time hung out at the comic book shop (which the Great Bearded One owned... :-)). We went to a lock-in one night and I didn't yet play d&d, gurps, or any other game they had. I was the only girl, bored out of my gourd, and my friend (now husband) asked me which minis I liked on the wall. He had a painting desk all set up and asked me to paint the satyxis raiders I picked out. 

He did it so I wouldn't be bored. The cute girl that is unhappy leaves, the cute girl that is happy stays and the boys follow where she goes. Lol So it was a shrewd business move, but also a very kind gesture. (not the reason we got married, there was no slow clap. Heh) 

I painted orks and dark Eldar and whatever else our d&d group needed after that.

Minis were my gateway drug into RPGs. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I really wanted to start playing d&d, I started running the 5E starter set and it wasn't too long of using a dice (the percentile dice from each players main set- obviously, what else would you use a percentile dice for) as each character on the map and other dice for enemies before that started to get confusing, and not particularly great to look at, I'd watched a lot of Critical Role and they used minis- so I thought "Cool! I'll do that" so OH promptly bought me a box of minis from this site called "Reaper" I'd heard so much about, where I promptly painted 3 miniatures, and realised they looked terrible. So I put them down for a year and barely picked up a brush at all in this time- though I was still acquiring minis, paints, (all the gear, no idea) and watching any youtube video on painting I could find, eventually I picked up the brush again and repeated my new mantra ("Quantity over Quality") with the idea that if I did lots, eventually some of them would start to look better, and low and behold- they did! Not by much, but I'm lucky to have players who are easily impressed! 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

@NebulousMissy while your story saddens me, it also makes me have tremendous admiration and respect for you and your actions, both in knowing when to get out and for persevering

Agreed. Much admiration for not allowing a bad experience to taint something you enjoy. 

ETA: also reinforces my opinion of you as a total badarse. :winkthumbs:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Well I started building and later painting Military model kits, like airplanes, tanks etc.

I had almost every Airfix Soldier set in 1:72 and a lot of the 1:32 sets as well.

being a little too much of a perfectionist, I shot myself in the foot with it, never being satisfied with the look of a panzer that was different from the ones I saw in history books.

Always trying to get the uniforms "just right"..

I read Tolkien and some scifi stuff, then one day I entered a Model shop and I stumbled upon Prince August/ Grenadier/ Early Citadel and such.

Wut? I can paint stuff like I want without "having to have the right shade of Field Grey?" never looked back.

I have been painting minis for decades now, only to improve a lot since 2013 when I joined the forum and finally got better feedback.

After a Large Scale / Bust painting challenge ( thx @ub3r_n3rd !) I started painting busts.

I have actually picked up some large scale Ancients ( Greek and Celt) and some historical Busts ( French Imperial Guard and Templar Knight and Roman Centurion) since then.

Just need to get up the courage to paint those without falling into my own trap again.

Since there is little known about the ancients I figure the Imperial Guard bust is the one that could get me into trouble again.

Anyway, love the Hobby and thanks to this Forum I paint a lot more then I used to.

Also love to make up stories around my projects.

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

@NebulousMissy while your story saddens me, it also makes me have tremendous admiration and respect for you and your actions, both in knowing when to get out and for persevering.

I agree!

Kudos to you!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wait, there are BattleTech starter sets that come with minis now? O_o

The new starter sets are supposed to be released next week.  The beginner box comes with two plastic minis.  The Game of Armored Combat box comes with eight plastic minis.  CGL is being (understandably) tight-lipped about whether or not we will see additional plastic minis being released.

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

@NebulousMissy while your story saddens me, it also makes me have tremendous admiration and respect for you and your actions, both in knowing when to get out and for persevering.

I don't have better words than this to express how I feel.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

It was something I had been into on and off during my teens (basically I'd make friends with someone already in the hobby but it wouldn't last long).

This last time I was looking for something to fill my evenings after I had to take a break from being an anime fan (I was watching way too much), and for whatever reason I remembered mini painting.

And this time it seems to have finally gotten me hooked.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

The new starter sets are supposed to be released next week.  The beginner box comes with two plastic minis.  The Game of Armored Combat box comes with eight plastic minis.  CGL is being (understandably) tight-lipped about whether or not we will see additional plastic minis being released.

I don't have better words than this to express how I feel.

I'll have to look further into such.  It's kind of tempting, due to my old love for the game, but... We shall see. ^_^

Thanks for letting me know! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

My boyfriend at the time. We were in college. It was 2005. He said "here paint these dudes". I had access to some cheap craft store brushes and second-hand paints. I didn't even have a desk, I used the back of someone's dorm dresser as my painting desk. I tried a few techniques I'd used in watercolors as a kid and in gel pen art as a teenager.

At first he didn't believe it was my first time painting a mini. Then he saw opportunity. He's the guy who convinced me to enter a speed painting competition at KublaCon in 2006 (I took 3rd place). He's the guy who used that 3rd place win to pimp me out to paint commissions until I burnt out in 2007. After I got back into painting a year later he started resenting me. He resented a whole lot of stuff. Things got bad. He's the guy who I left by fleeing into the night with the contents of a backpack in 2009. I had reasons to flee. That's where my original mini collection went, left behind when I fled.

Bones IV was really the first time I had the money, the opportunity, and the ability to really replace that collection I left behind. To be fair, I've bought enough minis since pledging to make for a good start too ::P:

That's also why I can never again paint commissions. 

BRAVA, GIRL! You have my admiration for the courage you displayed AND placing yourself above mere possessions. VERY WELL DONE!

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

It was around this time of the year. The Year was 1963. I was fifteen going on sixteen. An erstwhile friend had gotten a miniature war games book by Joe Morschauser for Christmas.

He, my friend that is, wasn't interested. I borrowed & kept The Book. I need miniatures though. J.M. used Britain's Ltd. SO I got my Dad to drive me to Lee's Hobby Store. They had a

selection of Britain's & other minis. The tall, skinny college Guy behind the counter was painting a Imrie Risly Napoleonic piece, & half heartedly listened to me as I started my tale.

When I mention the magic words "war game", his head came up like an infield fly. That was my to-be-friend, Dick Ford. He lent me a buck for a box of Britain's & explained they had to

be converted & painted. That was how I got into painting/converting. 

• Like 10

when I was little I had a "dark eye" board game, and I painted magic squiggles on the skeletons with a toothpick and red acrylic. 

about 10 years later I was playing battletech, it came with little plastic mechs. Someone told me that painting them was a thing. I proceeded to screw them up pretty well.

then around 2000 I ran into warhammer 40k, and proceeded to paint space marines badly. around 2010 or so I started painting reaper, and infinity minis, and got to be not absolutely terrible at it. By the time bones 1 rolled around I was almost able to get things to look the way I mean for them to.

• Like 8

In Junior High School I got bit hard by the AD&D bug. I'd been collecting some pewter minis up to that point, but they were mostly the gift shop kind with crystals and glitter. After High School a new game shop opened up locally. It didn't last due to mismanagement, but they had the most amazing collections of minis. Mostly GW, and Mithril, and Ral Partha. The owner had a display case full of painted minis. At the time I was too poor to really justify the cost of minis, though in retrospect it was dirt cheap compared to what they go for now :). In college I dipped my toe back into 3.0. At the time I owned a handful of Ral Partha minis, 4 or 5 at most, and they no longer existed, so I discovered Reaper through Dragon Magazine and placed my first mail order. I still have 3 of the first 5 minis I ever ordered (unpainted), and I went online looking for tutorials. This was long before YouTube or many of the other fancy painting videos. I found some tutorials, I want to say on Doctor Faust's web page. I didn't know jack about thinning paints, or shading, or highlighting. Two of my painted minis still exist somewhere out there, first two I ever painted. And they are terribad. Life intervened, and then back about 2009 I discovered Pathfinder, and even though I never got to play, it renewed my interest in minis, and I remembered Reaper! 

• Like 8