Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 22, 2019

What would be your dream job?

Independently wealthy professional student.

For something closer to reality, I'd like to work on software development.  Since I have a very heavy operations background now, that probably means working on tooling and automation for IT operations.

• Like 11

Writing for Weekly World News should it ever come back. If my ability to draw ever returned, throw in a comic serial done in the style of early Wally Wood featuring Bigfoot, Batboy and Elvis doing battle against Mothman, the Molemen, etc for the benefit of the Earth and a disbelieving public. 

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Sadly breathalyzer tests are mandatory, and regular blood tests. Since "Amoco Cadiz" and "Exxon Valdez" nearly all tankers have been dry ships.::(: 

Hammock and rum tester.

I was thinking the device like my friend on probation had that demand a test at random intervals, or the captain would not be allowed out of his cabin. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Being a fully self-sufficient grower of sustenance/tinkerer/localized terraformer would be ideal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Martha Stewart. I mean, she's got a bazzillion dollars, she's got a little farm, she gets to stay home and make bread, and she has people she pays to do the clean up. I would fricken love that! Stay home, prefect my baking skills enough that I can watch those silly baking shows and be like "I could beat you :smug:", have a farm filled with cute, miniature animals and a huge doggo, and never have to do dishes or fold laundry again. Fricken heck yeah!

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I like my job, but I am looking forward to retire ( just 6 more years) and hopefully have won the lottery by then so I won't have to worry about anything.

Other than that, I love animals, if it wasn't for the poor pay, I would love to be a caretaker in a zoo or a wildlife photographer ( if I can ever find out how take a decent pic..)

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

:ph34r: 3D Sculptor...

Edited by TGP
For the record: I, like Col. Kane, would settle for lottery proceeds investor...
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Spend everyday painting & making strange little thingies & beasties...I am living the dream, Baby! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Some catch up...

Coffee:

I used to sell espresso machines. You start up five machines each morning, you have to check they're working. So you have to press a shot (or two, some only make doubles). What am I gonna do, toss it down the sink? Then demo for customers, and what am I gonna do, make em drink alone? At one point I was averaging two dozen shots before lunch.

Long story short, it was unhealthy. I now drink tea, once in a while I make Turkish Coffee at home, and if a little old lady offers me coffee I can't turn it down.

Vacation:

Portugal/Spain and Japan are the places I haven't been that I really really want to go. I also want to go back to Venice before it's gone.

History:

This is a tough one. Genghis Khan? Confucius? Siddhartha Gautama? Someone with some calming or cathartic philosophy.

Dream Job: there are a few neighborhoods along the Monongahela (Pittsburgh's southern river) that are good places to open a games cafe. I miss running a games shop, but I don't miss running it for someone else. Offering Coffee and Catan during the day, FNM early Friday evenings and Friday Night Draughts  late on Fridays... Several themed rooms for rent for game groups (one like a pirate Captain's quarters, one like the inside of a vardo, one like an ottoman palace)... Of course, like many others, this business plan involves first winning a lottery.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

International crime fighting, jungle exploring, polar bear wrestling, scotch taster. 

But barring that, my current job with better pay. 

• Like 9

My current job.  Retirement with about the same discretionary income as when working.  I put a lot into 457 at work (public workers 401K)

• Like 5

Oh hey, if we want to get really unrealistic, a dnd style ranger or Druid, so I could have animal friends and cuddle real bears.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Author for sure.  You could do pretty much anything and go anywhere in the name of research for a new book.  And then you get to share all of your experiences with people who are interested. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

My current career is quite great, but this will likely shock no one, if it were financially feasible, I'd like to own my own miniature/jewelry company selling my own line of minis and fine jewelry.  I am well on my way toward making this a reality as my retirement career once my children are grown and out of college and I feel I've done all I can/want to at my current career.

• Like 12

Dream job:

I don't hate my current job. There are things about it I dislike. Mostly I don't like being so far away from all of my family and a chunk of my friends. If I had the wherewithal I'd really just like to farm and spend some spare time building knives/axes. Cows don't ask stupid questions that they already know the answer to, though they do judge you with their stares. I would also really like to take some gunsmithing courses. I love making things, and working with my hands. 

• Like 7