Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 5, 2019

Have you ever used a CB [citizen band] radio?

Not in the last 30 years.  My best friend had one in her car, we used it when we drove to cons around the New England area.  We would listen to and talk with the truckers, get road and weather information.  Yeah, way before cell phones and the internet there was CB radio. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I have not. 

Dont have a call sign. 

Never owned one; do they still make them?

• Like 5

18 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Seriously? You don't think there is a place for a rousing speech when you are going to lead men into combat?

Speaking as one whose "battle station" was dependent on whether he was on shift or off shift, with 12 hour shifts being the norm, there isn't/wasn't much anyone could say in the way of "morale boost" at such times.

Bear in mind that my job was to keep the air to air missile guidance system, over 1000 lbs of equipment distributed all over the cockpits and airframe of the only US Fighter ever to become operational without a designed in gun, I had a slightly different perspective than the people who actually operated the ship.  Our job was to keep those fighters operational so that they could all be gotten airborne as quickly as possible, so when the flag went up our job was done.  It then became the responsibility for the ship handlers to get us out of the area as quickly as possible and hope we didn't get turned into a radioactive floating hulk  in the meantime. My job, and most of the rest of the air-wing was to stay out of the way and hang on, and pray.

GEM

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

When such things actually mattered I was KHA 2379.

A CB was a working tool as a long haul Truck Driver, and a necessity for communication at some of the remote load out sites that I hauled material from.

I was the original "Snoopy" in San Diego, California.

My father's handle was "Red Baron".

When I was driving long haul my handle was "A Roaming Gnome".

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
added stuff
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Never even heard of it I’m afraid! At first I thought it might have been the tech used for a certain infamous pirate radio station in my area used but looked it up and couldn’t tell. If they see much use in the UK it’s in circles I am not in I’m afraid!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

Never even heard of it I’m afraid! At first I thought it might have been the tech used for a certain infamous pirate radio station in my area used but looked it up and couldn’t tell. If they see much use in the UK it’s in circles I am not in I’m afraid!

Apparently they are still made, apparently there are 80 channels in the UK:ik_oops:

Mobile CB radios became a near mainstream fad in the US ~about~ thirty years ago. They still exist, but less popular-publicized, they’ve reverted to the standard equipment on big rigs that they once were. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Ugh, raw foods. I met a women recently who insisted that milk was best for you raw, unpasteurized. She tried to insist to me that there was no danger in a pregnant woman drinking unpasteurized milk. Never mind the countless people who've died because of unpasteurized milk. Idiot. 

And then theres the recent "raw water" trend. Sure, go ahead, get cholera or typhoid. Idiots don't have any clue how many people have died due to diseases like that. 

Maybe we should be thankful for these trends, in the end the ones with common sense will survive...

Oops..did I say that out loud?:devil:

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I didn't own one, but a friend of me did and I got to use it a few times.

Even created a call sign and all, the hype ended soon here.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

No. My eldest son, Chris, was into it for awhile way back when.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope. Unless you're counting on zombie survival video games :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Ugh, raw foods. I met a women recently who insisted that milk was best for you raw, unpasteurized. She tried to insist to me that there was no danger in a pregnant woman drinking unpasteurized milk. Never mind the countless people who've died because of unpasteurized milk. Idiot. 

And then theres the recent "raw water" trend. Sure, go ahead, get cholera or typhoid. Idiots don't have any clue how many people have died due to diseases like that. 

Y'know, it's things like this that make me glad I'm getting old and no longer have any interest in the newest dumb fad.

I've never even heard of this one, and based on what you wrote, it sounds reeeaaallly dumb.

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes, I have.

• Like 6

On 1/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, Corsair said:

Okay, I will start this up, we will see just how badly I can screw it up!

January 1, 2019 What was your favorite gift you received for Christmas, and Why?

Trip to Hawaii

On 1/2/2019 at 12:45 AM, Corsair said:

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

I followed the Orioles when I lived in Baltimore. Mostly cause going to the games was a fun way to spend the afternoon while only spending like $20

On 1/2/2019 at 11:16 PM, Corsair said:

January 3, 2019   What is your Dream Car?

Image result for federation runabout

On 1/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 4, 2019

What term or catch phrase drives/drove you crazy?

YOLO

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Once, when I was... 10?

• Like 9

My father had a CB radio for a couple years back in the day... Can't recall his old number/letter thing, but I seem to remember him going by the callsign "Zippy", which was a nickname at his job (or possibly even going back to his Navy days, not sure).

I've used one maybe... three times since then.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

I approve of your Dream Car. 

I dont know...  YOLO

You Only Live Once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

You Only Live Once.

I always preferred "you live, you learn", but I suppose that YLYL is rather more difficult to pronounce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1