Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

5 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Maybe human sports are just dumb.

Oh! Kitten football! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

20 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Binoculars and photography...  Bird photography I presume?

Just general wildlife/landscape stuff, although birds feature heavily in my memory cards ^_^ I'm not that great a photographer- can't afford to drop a couple of thousand on a DSLR camera and the various lenses that I'd need to get seriously into the hobby. These were taken yesterday:

DSCN7459.thumb.JPG.55217c5cb684febc2fd8931afec811f9.JPG

DSCN7723.thumb.JPG.665e77f69d68c11a43424c0394ec9879.JPG

DSCN7512.thumb.JPG.ada93174368600376316b905a7c5324a.JPG

18 hours ago, Corsair said:

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

I'm with @NebulousMissy on this one as I love all the equestrian disciplines, especially 3 Day Eventing. It's a combination of Dressage, Cross Country and Showjumping that is awesome to watch.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Oh! Kitten football! :lol:

Yeah, but people get so upset when you go to punt them.

• Haha 6

On 1/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, Corsair said:

Okay, I will start this up, we will see just how badly I can screw it up!

January 1, 2019 What was your favorite gift you received for Christmas, and Why?

I'm still waiting on a few to arrive, so I can't answer that one yet.

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

Hockey.

Boston Bruins.

Unless I'm actually physically at a game, the hockey will be on the background while I paint/hobby/ whatever. I'll stop what I'm doing to rewind it to watch a fight, a goal being scored, or anything particularly interesting.

To participate in, I'm gonna say paintball.

If that doesn't count, then I'm gonna go with 'Sophie says'.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Corsair said:

Ice Hockey

Partial to Sharks, Bruins and Stars

Enjoy College level as well. Our local, UNT  has a team.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, Corsair said:

January 1, 2019 What was your favorite gift you received for Christmas, and Why?

A complete set of Nightmare Before Christmas Hot Wheels cars from a dear friend because he wanted me to have a wrapped gift to open that wasn't bought and wrapped by me. 

• Like 10

Gift: I got a very cool antique kaleidoscope. It's a simple thing, but it's a thing that tells me Nissiana gets me.

Sports: I used to have mad Ultimate skills, but then I took an arrow to the knee. 

Well, not literally. But I had a better vertical leap than my high school's varsity basketball team's best, and could catch and throw while in the air ..and now I have torn ligaments in both knees. Although it was more the martial arts that caused the injuries.

To watch ..well, I live in Pittsburgh, so I have adopted the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates as my teams, but I don't actually follow them closely at all. I really love rugby, but don't have any TV service to watch regularly, so I don't have a team I root for.

Car: I used to say the Mercedes 300SL gullwing coupe, or a well-kitted Jeep Wrangler. But honestly I'm leaning more towards a Harley these days. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Corsair said:

January 3, 2019   What is your Dream Car?

Related image

I've got the dirty beat up little pickmeup truck but having trouble sourcing the cannon in Canada. I'd settle for a .30 cal machine gun but kind of have my heart set on an M2. ::D: Should work for deer season don't ya think?

• Like 5
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Studebaker Avanti R-3 or R-4.

Especially since I will never ever in my wildest dreams be able to afford the Rolls Royce Silver Wraith Touring that I've been in love with for circa 50 years.

GEM

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Zink said:

Related image

I've got the dirty beat up little pickmeup truck but having trouble sourcing the cannon in Canada. I'd settle for a .30 cal machine gun but kind of have my heart set on an M2. ::D: Should work for deer season don't ya think?

It might even work for a moose! Maybe :poke:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

An Aston Martin, almost ANY Aston Martin, but preferably;

Green-Aston-Martin-DB5.thumb.jpg.92fa91b2422fbb40f467d860efbb58b8.jpg

Sadly what I can afford is:

carrera-25775-01.thumb.jpg.94b3c6f01d796d08091a05b68618e534.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Is "tank" a valid option? In the couple years since I got a new job, the commute is much shorter and the assassination attempts less frequent...but still.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Oooooh, tough one, so I'll split it in two, er three... 

Me from twelve years ago... 

1990 Toyota Corolla GT-S with a blacktop 20V 4AGE, equivalent PDM Racing camshafts (they did one for the bluetop/red top 4AGE that was street capable, AND gave 25whp), G52 transmission (G60 is nice, but not as tough), seam stitched chassis, and roll cage.  Oh, and open stack individual throttle bodies, but keep the fuel injection.  Standard engine mods like port and polish plus higher capacity fuel injectors and better fuel pump are obvious additions. I also forgot the TRD shifter, bent towards the left (stock one bends towards right, as it was effective a TRD Japan only part).  I'd also consider things like a carbon fibre hood, but painted.   Scary part is play your cards right and this is only a Street Mod level in SCCA rules... 

Me today, if I still went with the AE92 chassis: red top engine, with most of the previous mods but instead of open stack throttles we put the SC12 supercharger on there (SC14 is better, but too risky) and then do the bypass mod and pully mod for an easy 14psi of boost.  Oh, and modify the chassis to rear wheel drive.  Bump compression down just slightly from stock, so it will run on 92 octane (97-98 for countries that use just RON for octane instead of RON+MON/2) pump fuel... And for kicks stick to the 195/50R15x6 tires, assuming they can still be easily acquired nowadays.  I'm probably forgetting a thing or two, like a transmission from a Supra.... 

....Lets just say I absolutely love sleeper vehicles, and NOBODY expects a fwd chassis Corolla to have over 200whp or be rear wheel drive...  Secret would be out in about thirty seconds at an autocross event (aka the instant you pop the hood for tech inspection), but still... I'd also be up against some pretty still competition, because such a modification (specifically making it rear wheel drive) would put the car into the Modified category, but... Still. 

Practical me for bonus answer: I'll just take a Subaru BRZ, swap out the tires, maybe do a bit of suspension work, and maybe open up the engine a tad more, but keep it naturally aspirated, because I'm nuts like that.  Bonus is you kind of have a warranty, and the chassis isn't rusting in various spots :p

51 minutes ago, Zink said:

Related image

Might handle a deer or two.  Just watch out for that rogue one that fights back... 

19 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It might even work for a moose! Maybe :poke:

A Corolla can take out a moose, if aimed properly, and your rolls are good!  Artillery probably is more effective, especially due to easy reloading... 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3