Getting to know you: January 2019

Corsair

On 1/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, ManvsMini said:

Aww man, I don't think we can even get the Mars Bar here in the states anymore. Haven't had one of those since I was a wee boy.

Some of us on the forum have taken part in a Halloween Candy exchange, so if it happens this year it could be your chance to get such exotic rarities ^_^ Or you could just search of "British Candy" on that well known online retailer that sounds like a river....

On 1/27/2019 at 2:37 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 27, 2019

Who is your favorite Movie character?

Probably Toothless or Totoro. Or Bruce ::D:

image.png.5b2faa71dced93b65f2c7ad0f272f05f.png

On 1/27/2019 at 7:02 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

And yet, I have never seen it that way on a menu in Scotland.  Must be an inside joke.  I loved the fries from Lido's in Helensburg.  And the poutine at Bread Meats Bread in Glasgo.

Ah heck, I'm offline for a couple of days and everyone starts talking about haggis ::o: Not that I eat the stuff but my housemate absolutely loves it, especially with peppercorn sauce. It was Burns Night last week in these parts and you couldn't go into a food shop without tripping over a display of Haggi.

As far as I am aware, it's illegal to import 'proper' haggis into the US, due to food safety rules about offal. Some Scottish companies make haggis in the US, but it's an adapted recipe to conform with local laws. That might be why it tastes odd.

Also @Dilvish the Deliverer, glad you liked both Bread Meats Bread and The Counting House! We always end up at those two places at the busiest times possible- great places, but super noisy! I'll keep an eye out for a menu that actually says "Glasgow Salad" and take a photo for proof ::D:

22 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 28, 2019

What is your favorite superhero franchise?

Probably Marvel Cinematic Universe- absolutely nothing to to with Chris Evans as Captain America, nope, not at all.

11 hours ago, klarg1 said:

When we were in Scotland, we found the same 3-layer stack of sliced McSween's Haggis, neeps & tatties in nearly every pub. It may not have been the pinnacle of the form, but it was pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that presence of haggis on a menu is a requirement to get an alcohol license in these parts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:
On 1/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, ManvsMini said:

Aww man, I don't think we can even get the Mars Bar here in the states anymore. Haven't had one of those since I was a wee boy.

Some of us on the forum have taken part in a Halloween Candy exchange, so if it happens this year it could be your chance to get such exotic rarities ^_^ Or you could just search of "British Candy" on that well known online retailer that sounds like a river.... 

This I will have to keep in mind. Though what was it my mother told me about taking candy from strangers... ::P:

That online retailer can be highway robbery for novelty food items unavailable in ones own country... or even in the same state. I looked for Surge soda when I heard it was back in select American states, couldn't justify spending that much for a walk down memory lane.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 7

Just now, Corsair said:

Question for January 29, 2019

Gloves or mittens?

Trick question... Both!  Either pull-over style, or better yet..  Heat  3 Smart from the Heat Company complete gloves.  Best of both worlds and you're laughing at -40C temperatures.  Bonus point is inner layer if ordered right allows use of touch screen devices! (not all inner liners will conduct for their gloves) 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Gloves or mittens?

I'm a both kinda guy. It depends on the temps and what I'm doing. I've spent a lot of time in below freezing temps without either because I had to fix things barehanded. Ah, the joy of freezing your hands to the machine you're fixing because you either can't fit a gloved finger in there or can't hold the part while wearing anything.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Gloves or mittens?

So many sophisticated folks here... I too enjoy fingerless gloves that transform into mittens. I have a really nice purple pair that I misplaced somewhere in my house. Instead of a button to hold them open, they have a magnet! Very fancy and high tech.

• Like 7