• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January

31, 2019

Gandalf, Merlin or Dumbledore?

Goodgulf Greyteeth. I don't really care much for most of Tolkien's characters, & never read the Harry Potter series.

I did, however, love Merlin in T.H. White's The Once & Future King.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Most likely I'd rank em

3. Dumbledore. Never really have been into Harry Potter, I've seen most of the films thou, I've yet to see the final 2 & I've never read the books (GASP!!)

2. Merlin (thou depending on the person playing him, Excalibur's Nicol Williamson was excellent portrayal & even thou I doubt I'll ever see it, The Kid who would be King's Sir Patrick Stewart as Merlin is a interesting take as well.)

1. Gandalf. What can I say, Gandalf is the iconic wizard character for our genre. So many characters are based off him, as well as minis. I mean how many times have I said "Cool wizard, thou do we really need anther Gandalf?" Still thou, I'd rank him above the others for being that iconic. Plus it doesn't help that Sir Ian McKellen played him in the Peter Jackson LOTR/Hobbit movies. ^_^

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January

31, 2019

My personal favorite of the three is Gandalf (although there is at least one fictional timeline where The Doctor is Merlin, so that muddies things a bit).

That said, they each fulfill their own roles in their own stories and universes.

(Merlin also has a BattleMech named after him.  I wonder how hard it would be to sculpt a reasonable looking wizard hat for a 'Mech.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

(Merlin also has a BattleMech named after him.  I wonder how hard it would be to sculpt a reasonable looking wizard hat for a 'Mech.)

If you ever find a good source for mech-sized hats, lemme know. I still need a fedora for Perry the PlatyMech.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January

31, 2019

I dunno.

From my limited knowledge of them, it should be Gandalf as he was the most successful, but he uses so little magic I don't really know if he should be considered the best wizard.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Most likely I'd rank em

2. Merlin (thou depending on the person playing him, Excalibur's Nicol Williamson was excellent portrayal & even thou I doubt I'll ever see it, The Kid who would be King's Sir Patrick Stewart as Merlin is a interesting take as well.)

Let us not forget Colin Morgan from the BBC series Merlin. An interesting break away from the elder wise Merlin.

Nicol Williamson, so classic. "A dream to some... a nightmare to others!!"

• Like 3

I'm also going to back up @Lord of the Dish Pit's analysis, but I am also going to throw Dumbledore further under the metaphorical bus. While he seems like a good mentor, and perhaps even a loyal friend, as an educator, he is given to blatant favoritism, and seems pretty casual about allowing students to stumble over the life-threatening hazards scattered all over his death trap of a school.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1