Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

49 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 4, 2019

What term or catch phrase drives/drove you crazy?

"Have a nice Day!"

I'm with Steve Martin in "My Blue Heaven" all the way on this one. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I work for a major corporate entity...I deal with garbage like "moving forward" and "treat this urgent" all dang day.

But my least favorite thing? The adverbial "timely." As in, "we must complete this timely."

"LY" doesn't always make an adverb. If you mean we need to complete it by a given deadline, say "on time." If it has to be done very soon, say "quickly."

Or you could say, "we require a timely completion." It's a terrible, inefficient sentence, but at least you know what adjectives are.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

With me it's not the term itself that drives me crazy, but when a person overuses one term or word.  So it can be a different term for any given person. 

For example, the Canadians I work with will often use the word "Perfect" as an acknowledgement during a discussion. But one particular guy overused it to the point that I'd shudder every time he said it, emailed it, instant messaged it, etc, etc. Hearing it from other people doesn't phase me.   Or with my ex-wife, it was the term "I promise."   Because she rarely ever carried through on her "promises".  Better stop giving examples, that triggered me.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Hmmm, trying to think of some that won't go into buzzy territory!  I've got plenty of those, or so I think I do... :ph34r:

Uhm...  About the only one I can really think of at the moment is the complete and total misuse of the word "literally"... 

I suppose how corporate keeps pushing all sorts of various "feel good" kind of things on us, and "teases" us with eighty emails over two weeks about how epic and amazing this new thing is, and then it's just... Ooooh, a new UI or something like that. But that's not a term.. 

"brand new!" is a marketing term I'm not a fan of, especially "new and improved!"... No, it's just last year's model, now in a different shade of black, with a silver pinstripe.  Oh, and the orange pinstripe option is gone... 

Improved should have tangible increases in whatever... Like an improved stove that uses less electricity in overall use, but also warms up faster... And somehow can hold a ln even larger pizza or turkey than the previous model could. 

Or is convection, while your previous one was not (that's a definite improvement for most things!) 

Or a washing machine that uses steam alongside more traditional methods to not only clean more thoroughly, but also cut water usage in half.  Bonus points if it uses less electricity per load too. 

That's improved to me ^_^

... "Have a safe day at work!" is an expression I can understand, kind of like the whole "drive safely!" (versus a more "appropriate" may your trip be safe, and uneventful!"), but...  Drive safely implies you don't do such, whereas May your trip be a safe one understands there are a lot of risks you cannot control, and can only partially mitigate. 

"health and safety committee" is another that kind of bugs me since most places' HSE Committees... Don't follow their own recommendations.  Or worse, they'll do a toolbox (because someone almost was killed because of something, and/or could have been killed if they were two inches to the left) and then five minutes later do the exact thing they told everyone not to do... 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Superfoods. Certainly there are foods that have added vitamins or minerals, but none of them will make miraculous changes to your health. Advertising is all about rotating buzzwords in order to get you to buy something.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't pay much attention to those.

I do hate the pep talk of managers though, yes we have them in the Military as well.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I don't pay much attention to those.

I do hate the pep talk of managers though, yes we have them in the Military as well.

Yeah, I was amazed/shocked when they started doing that when I was in the Navy.

I could see and understand how it would benefit an organization whose goal was to make money. The goal of the military is just a little different, however....

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah, I was amazed/shocked when they started doing that when I was in the Navy.

I could see and understand how it would benefit an organization whose goal was to make money. The goal of the military is just a little different, however....

Seriously? You don't think there is a place for a rousing speech when you are going to lead men into combat?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

images.jpg.aa064768387b1c0b19ca88bfde9e4d74.jpg

Yes, WITH the guitarist/flamethrower.::D:

Going off topic here for a second. The year this movie came out my wife arranged to get one of those pedal pubs that seat about 12 people for our city's Doo Dah parade (bunch of weirdos having fun) and everyone on board dressed up in their best homemade dystopian garb, grabbed an instrument and piled on. The rest of us dressed up in crazy outfits and decorated our bicycles with spikes and chains and such. Then we joined the parade as this scene from the movie. Only with pedal power instead of gas. Sadly, we did not have a flamethrower. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Seriously? You don't think there is a place for a rousing speech when you are going to lead men into combat?

As far as I'm concerned that's a bit different from what we mean.

I was talking about the endless meetings where management types try to inform us that there is a better way of doing things, mostly this comes from non Military managers thinking we must make a profit, which we can't ...because Military and often without any real knowledge of what we do.

But they still feel the need to use many power words.

I compare these types to seagulls.

They fly over. crap on your desk and then leave so you can clean up after them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

When people refer to "absorbing things by osmosis" ::(: Unless they're talking about water, it's really not possible.....

People using internet slang in real life also annoys me. Last night I heard a work colleague saying "and, I was, like, hashtag OMG, deffo affronted"  ::o:

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I can't really recall any right now. I know things like that annoys me, because I'm constantly sassing commercials and tv shows when they say something dumb. A lot of it comes from the way certain people say things or things over said by certain people.

• Like 6

I finally remembered what my answer is to this:

On 1/2/2019 at 10:16 PM, Corsair said:

January 3, 2019   What is your Dream Car?

A Morevette

...it looks exactly like a Corvette. But it

1965_Chevrolet_Corvette_Mako_Shark_II_XP

towers over the 5’6” fashion model. Because the morevette, is taller, longer, wider, has more leg room, more overhead room, larger wheels, bigger tyres...

It is meant for contemporary NFL linemen. 

...it is just way more ‘vette .

Drives, currently...

Term: Crest

From the catch phrase: Family Crest

(Crest: Noun) 1.5 billion people speak English. (Approximately) 1,499,999,983 of them use this word wrong. 

Drove, (in the past)...

Catch Phrase: High Tech

I once had a boss who used this phrase all the time. He wanted everything to be “high-tech”, to look “high-tech”, But no one could ever figure out what that meant or was to be done in practical, concrete terms. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Complained about this on the forum in the past. The terms, "organic", "gluten free" and "cholesterol free". Mostly because of how they are used to promote "super healthy food" (Got a chuckle from Inarah's post on that) and how something never had gluten or cholesterol in the first place is touted as the better choice. Lots of organic things aren't exactly safe to eat, your veggies shouldn't have animal fat in them and I suppose gluten free might get a bit of a pass because there is a tendency to have a bit of flour in everything nowadays even if it shouldn't.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Not really a catch phrase or anything, but there are two. I work in retail. We sell cigarettes. I have to card each and everyone who wants to purchase said product. Even the employees who work there have to be carded. So it is really irritating when someone can believe I have to card them. As if they are more important than me keeping my job.

The other one is "that is not what the sign said, or did that ring up correctly, or that should be 3 for 10, or some dumba remark like that. I have no control over what the merchandise rings up. I can over ride the price if needed and I do understand wanting a deal, but when I have to change prices on over half your order, I get very irritated.

• Like 9