Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

11 hours ago, Inarah said:

Yeah, basically I game with a guy who uses basically, you know, the same basic word basically every 15 seconds. Basically. :grr:

As an English major there's a lot of common usage that annoys me.  "Healthy food", for example. No, it's not healthy, it's dead by now. Oh, did you mean healthful? As in food that is nutritious? Why not just say so?

Are you sure these people aren't just super serious about their "raw food" diets? :poke:

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

... "Have a safe day at work!" is an expression I can understand, kind of like the whole "drive safely!" (versus a more "appropriate" may your trip be safe, and uneventful!"), but...  Drive safely implies you don't do such, whereas May your trip be a safe one understands there are a lot of risks you cannot control, and can only partially mitigate.

Here in Boston, "Drive Safely" is more an expression of wishful thinking. We know you'll drive like an angry maniac, but it it can't hurt to hope, right?

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 4, 2019

What term or catch phrase drives/drove you crazy?

I used to work with a guy who loved to be relied on, and to be the hero who would swoop in and save the day. However, he was useless. He never came through with fixes or contacts and everything he touched caught fire. His favourite thing to say about a task was “It’s all in hand” he left the organisation years ago, but to this day that is a banned phrase at our work, no one is allowed to say it because we can’t tell if you’re being sincere, or asking for help.

• Like 6

If you want to have fun with a health food junkie, the next time you are eating junk food, tell them it's all natural, everything in it is found on the planet. Seeing those full-body quivers is a ball!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 4, 2019

What term or catch phrase drives/drove you crazy?

Crazy is something of a overstatement, but ever since it was pointed out to me I constantly notice people use "impact" as a way to sound like they are saying something when they are actually saying nothing. 

"This new law is going to impact our business."  Really?  Would you care to quantify?  How about just tell me if it is positive or negative.  Politicians love to do this too, but so do sports announcers. 

"It's really hard to overstate his impact on the game."  OK Troy, but you're being paid to talk so please try.  He's dropped a first down pass that killed a drive, but also caught a touchdown so let me know where his impact is headed.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, paintybeard said:
11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah, I was amazed/shocked when they started doing that when I was in the Navy.

I could see and understand how it would benefit an organization whose goal was to make money. The goal of the military is just a little different, however....

Seriously? You don't think there is a place for a rousing speech when you are going to lead men into combat?

Rousing speeches, sure.

The BS that they were spouting? It'd make me want to change sides.

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

As far as I'm concerned that's a bit different from what we mean.

I was talking about the endless meetings where management types try to inform us that there is a better way of doing things, mostly this comes from non Military managers thinking we must make a profit, which we can't ...because Military and often without any real knowledge of what we do.

But they still feel the need to use many power words.

I compare these types to seagulls.

They fly over. crap on your desk and then leave so you can clean up after them.

This is probably a better way of putting it than what I said.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Are you sure these people aren't just super serious about their "raw food" diets? :poke:

Ugh, raw foods. I met a women recently who insisted that milk was best for you raw, unpasteurized. She tried to insist to me that there was no danger in a pregnant woman drinking unpasteurized milk. Never mind the countless people who've died because of unpasteurized milk. Idiot. 

And then theres the recent "raw water" trend. Sure, go ahead, get cholera or typhoid. Idiots don't have any clue how many people have died due to diseases like that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

"literally" 

There is a guy at work that uses it all the time. I use it all the time. I'm tired of hearing it.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, haldir said:

"literally" 

There is a guy at work that uses it all the time. I use it all the time. I'm tired of hearing it.

Does he use it... literally all the time? :lol:

:runs away:

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

Question for January 5, 2019

Have you ever used a CB [citizen band] radio?

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5

Just now, Corsair said:

I have not personally.

But I have benefited from their use. When I was a kid my family tended to spend some sections of the summer in a camper (the kind that was carried in the bed of a big pickup truck). My uncle and grandfather also had such campers. We would often caravan to the Colorado River for dove season. The CB radio was used liberally between the various vehicles for several years.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Corsair said:

No and never even been near one.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Nope. 

But I have heard the Convoy song by Paul Brandt several times.

10/4 good buddy.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Y'know that Corolla versus moose story I seem to tell way too often?  The one back when cell/mobile phones weren't commonplace, let alone popular?

Guess who had the CB that day.  Yup, me, in the back seat of said 1992 Toyota Corolla CE sedan.  We had borrowed it from the friends we were travelling with so we could keep in touch if something happened, or we lost sight of each other.  Definitely glad for that radio, and also the Corolla!

EDIT: Hubby was on CB so often in the small town he lived in that not only the local truckers knew him, but also long haul truckers that came through the area every now and then!

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6