77244: Skeleton Warrior Spearman (3)

Thanks to the motivation from here I am trying to get back into painting miniatures thanks to new games like Blood on the Blade and Rangers of Shadow Deep.

I thought I would start with these skeletons and at least get them primed.  I used Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Gray which I use on my models (Gundam, Frame ARMs, etc) via an airbrush.  It is a solvent based acrylic paint.  I had read all the FAQs about primers so I am not sure how the BONES material will react.  I will let them sit for the rest of the day (too many other things to do today and I am not sure I have a good bone color) and see how they are.

Here is a picture of them primed.  I see a bit of flash/mold lines that I may ignore for these figures.  It would be awesome if, one day, flash and mold lines were a thing of the past...

DSC_0983.JPG

• Like 8

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

With Undead you can also hide the most annoying mold lines by applying some grass/flock/sand.

They have risen from the grave, right?

True. :)  To be honest, I can't see them at all without taking a photo.  So I will see how they come out.

This morning they feel fine, nothing tacky/sticky so I think the primer worked fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TriOpticon said:

True. :)  To be honest, I can't see them at all without taking a photo.  So I will see how they come out.

This morning they feel fine, nothing tacky/sticky so I think the primer worked fine.

I believe most (if not all) of the issues folks have had with primer have been with rattle cans of primer.  So maybe something with the accelerant? 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TriOpticon said:

I frequently have exactly that problem, I find applying a thin dark wash over freshly-primed bones really helps even if you end up painting over all of it. Otherwise the painting process is a process of discovering new and exciting features in the sculpt.

• Like 2

Painted the bases Naga Green.  I realize the spear skeletons probably have a dungeon/brick floor texture but decided Naga will be fine for them, also.  I did get the feet in a couple of places but I will go back and fix it; hopefully without messing up the green. :)

Naga Green Bases.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TriOpticon said:

Painted the bases Naga Green.  I realize the spear skeletons probably have a dungeon/brick floor texture but decided Naga will be fine for them, also.  I did get the feet in a couple of places but I will go back and fix it; hopefully without messing up the green. :)

As Glitterwolf said, that could always be mold, moss, or some such crud.

I entirely agree with you on the priming, throws me off every time I go to start painting.

Edited by RandomExtra
incorrect word, fixed, I think
  • Like 3