Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Cranky Old Man

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Many are equipped already. 

I don't think it will be as successful as one would hope, though.  These days many school buses are equipped with such cameras to help deal with stop arm violators, and yet they still happen all the time.  My wife started driving a bus for our local school district this year, and they get at least 3-4 of these violations a week.  

Did they launch a publicity campaign to inform the public that these are in operation?

Are the fines high enough that the people being fined are going to tell their friends?

Needs to be a three digit fine with points on the drivers license to get most peoples attention these days.

I blame a good portion of it on the complete self absorption linked to smart phones with people not paying attention to the important stuff in the real world, in favor of the endless trivia in their personal lives.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I say we just make it a felony to interfere with medical personnel in transit.

And then mount ram plates on the ambulances and give them legal right of way in all circumstances with complete immunity from any and all repercussions...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

You have way more experience than I do.  I served in the Navy during peacetime, and the incidents I dealt with were mostly after I got out at various jobs.  I only mentioned it because the first time I found myself first on scene of an accident, I completely surprised myself that my response was to do everything correctly, and without really thinking about it.  It wasn't until others showed up and I had time to think and really process what was going on that I became useless and in the way.  It really hit home then that all those 'stupid' and 'boring' training sessions in the military worked. 

I definitely hear you on the training, and automatic responses...  While I'm rusty in that department (I last trained under 2003 or 2005 standards, can't remember which), I can still do scene management, asses any risks, and basic abcs in a manner of seconds. 

Said training is probably why when working first aid at an Oilers game and we had to get halfway around the building for a call about someone having passed out in a bathroom and banging their head into the tiled wall (then of course, the floor, courtesy of gravity) after about two seconds of nobody in line at the concessions (it was 2nd intermission, aka between 2nd and 3rd periods) listening to the nurse I put my projection voice to use...  Apparently well enough that police officers at the other end of a massively packed concession not only heard me, but helped make sure people had parted just enough so we could get through with everything we had packed (wheelchair, bls kit, and O2 kit).  Man that nurse looked shocked at my actions, but by that point I was pretty much in one of those "I'll deal with the consequences with security and my supervisors later" kind of moods - we were, after all, under the impression with the limited info we had that we were dealing with a possible heart attack, probably what let me get away with barking out at people... ^_^;;;

It also paid off on the third day at a previous job of mine, where someone unfortunately got caught in powered rollers in the shipping department, because while the initial scene itself was taken care of as best the supervisors could, my first thought after the initial look was "it's late at night in winter, and the ambulance is going to go to the office doors, not the warehouse doors because they were just given an address... I'm going out with the other supervisor, because I have a bright yellow jacket with reflective strips all over it, and said supervisor going outside does NOT have a high visibility jacket".  That was... Not a pretty scene to deal with.   I've never seen someone be soooooo calm in a scenario where most would be outright freaking out... 

I also learned you can throw Telzon "pistol grip" scanners out of calibration if you toss them about eight feet onto a nearby picking cart... According to the forklift guys I can also book it stupidly fast when responding to an emergency, because it did not take me long to get halfway across that warehouse... 

4 hours ago, FaekiasDracon said:

III'mmmm saaaiiillliiing awaaaaaaay...

Domo arrigato Mr. Roboto...

Oh mama I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law...

among others. 

Second one is a definite reminder as to who they are.  I've listened to a lot of stuff from their time, just.. Yup, definitely a case of I know the music, but not who they are. aka need a quick reminder - like look at Journey.  I honestly can't remember them.  But if you were to say Tirrel/Cerberus Rockoons TV, I'll know EXACTLY which song by Journey you're talking about.  Or Rockoons 1,which has Fever by Aerosmith in it (another band I recognize by sound, but not by name) 

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Before we get to that point all emergency vehicles will be equipped with high res. cameras to record license plates.

These will be used to identify the people who deliberately don't yield right of way to the emergency vehicles and to send them the appropriate notices of violation, with attached fines.

If the response is similar to what happened when they started using Red Light Cameras [never mind the other fallout that has led to their going out of use in most places] then people will actually start paying attention to the right of way laws.

GEM

Some areas red light cameras are still rather popular...  Here though you're supposed to be able to say "was moving out of the way for emergency services" and then ask them to check the next several photos - odds are, yes, you'll have to show up to court, but they'll throw the ticket out because you did precisely what you were supposed to do - get out of the way of emergency responders. 

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Did they launch a publicity campaign to inform the public that these are in operation?

Are the fines high enough that the people being fined are going to tell their friends?

Needs to be a three digit fine with points on the drivers license to get most peoples attention these days.

I blame a good portion of it on the complete self absorption linked to smart phones with people not paying attention to the important stuff in the real world, in favor of the endless trivia in their personal lives.

GEM

Problem with anything that involves demerits is a lot of people are going to contest it, simply because demerits are involved - you see it here with the distracted driving laws, people will actively fight such.... Or radar tickets... Even ones where they were pulled over by a police officer... 

Someone I knew tried to fight one of those "we won't say the fine until a judge says what it is" fines (he was doing something like 120kph in a 50kph zone) because it was listed as being over $2k CAD...  Meanwhile my thought on the matter was...  How stupid do you have to be to speed that much in a 50 zone? 

• Like 5

Jeez. I felt well enough to go to work today, and look what happens!

1. I've been old since I was about 24. That was when the younger generation began giving me a hard time because I wasn't up on their slang. The fact that my beard has gone gray now just confirms it.

2. I don't carry a knife any more. Used to carry a penknife, but now I work in a school. Hell, I still carry a P-38 can opener, and have been hassled about it at the courthouse security station. Because y'know, dozens of people are killed every year by tiny folding can opener blades.

3. Perhaps I will skip ReaperCon again this year. Somehow the idea of a whole crowd of people screwing around with me for their entertainment and amusement makes me feel unwelcome at best....

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

10 hours ago, FaekiasDracon said:

III'mmmm saaaiiillliiing awaaaaaaay...

Domo arrigato Mr. Roboto...

Oh mama I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law...

among others. 

STYX.

When are you old..?

I had such a moment when I was just in my mid thirties, I was training martial arts with a girl.

She was around seventeen at that time, we made a little conversation and I mentioned I had a lot of records ( the Vinyl kind).

Her response...records?...ehhmmm...OH! You mean those big black discs! I think my dad has a few of those!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Jeez. I felt well enough to go to work today, and look what happens!

1. I've been old since I was about 24. That was when the younger generation began giving me a hard time because I wasn't up on their slang. The fact that my beard has gone gray now just confirms it.

2. I don't carry a knife any more. Used to carry a penknife, but now I work in a school. Hell, I still carry a P-38 can opener, and have been hassled about it at the courthouse security station. Because y'know, dozens of people are killed every year by tiny folding can opener blades.

3. Perhaps I will skip ReaperCon again this year. Somehow the idea of a whole crowd of people screwing around with me for their entertainment and amusement makes me feel unwelcome at best....

I had enough difficulty gwtting around the chairs last year with my speed racer cart.

You get to a certain point in life and some things that used to be good for a laugh on either end seem to loose their entertainment value.

GEM

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

STYX.

When are you old..?

I had such a moment when I was just in my mid thirties, I was training martial arts with a girl.

She was around seventeen at that time, we made a little conversation and I mentioned I had a lot of records ( the Vinyl kind).

Her response...records?...ehhmmm...OH! You mean those big black discs! I think my dad has a few of those!

The joke is now on her with vinyl making a comeback.

GEM

Who still has all his LPs from the 60s

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Whoa. You really are a cranky old man.

:devil:

:;):

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I had enough difficulty getting around the chairs last year with my speed racer cart.

You get to a certain point in life and some things that used to be good for a laugh on either end seem to loose their entertainment value.

GEM

The joke is now on her with vinyl making a comeback.

GEM

Who still has all his LPs from the 60s

I had around 700 Lp's and about 200 singles.

Sold them all replaced the best ones with CD's.

And now I listen to a lot of music through youtube..

With Vinyl making a come back I have thought about starting over, but I rather spend my money on minis and vacations...

And...the storage...I need it for Bones IV, can't have boxes of LP's in the way then.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I work in the music industry and get given LPs as gifts semi-regularly, but have no was of playing them! And while when it comes to my hobbies- I’m a hoarder and the hobby room is a cluttered nightmare, the rest of the house is pretty minimalist and I throw out any clutter I can find, so generally any vinyl I get given is just re-gifted to someone who can play it and will appreciate it more than me!

• Like 7

My dad has like, 1000 vinyl records. They're all stored away though. Someday we might have time to go through them -_-

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

My dad has like, 1000 vinyl records. They're all stored away though. Someday we might have time to go through them -_-

And if you're lucky, find some priceless ones ....

There are  a few I sold in the 90's which would have made a lot of money these days.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

And if you're lucky, find some priceless ones ....

There are  a few I sold in the 90's which would have made a lot of money these days.

Oh, we already know he has a few valuable ones. There were a couple that were valuable even back in the 80s, that he never took out of their shrink wrap. 

All I care about are the Christmas albums. I want those for the sheer nostalgia of waking up Christmas morning to them playing. 

ETA: oh, and Disco Disney. I love Disco Duck.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

ETA: oh, and Disco Disney. I love Disco Duck.

I have my parents' 7" copy of disco duck.  Man I loved that song as a kid, wonder if I still do. 

...But is it worth "corrupting" my turntables into playing something from the disco era on them - they're kind of "used to" playing DnB, hardstyle, and hard house... :p  (or Traktor 2 control tones, that might as well be banshee wails coming out of the cartridge...)

I think I have around 200 or so records? I never really bothered to count them, but I have a modest collection. 

• Like 3

I'm reminded of a Tshirt I saw the other day "I may be old, but your music still sucks"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have like... 20.  Most of them are for their cover art.  I have 10-ish framed and sitting in my office at work.  The prize of my collection is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds, bought last year since they actually reprinted the vinyl.  (I had wanted my father's copy but he apparently got rid of his records when he last moved.)

I don't own a record player.  CDs were a reasonable music distribution method by the time I started buying music for myself and I'm not convinced I would notice any positive qualities of vinyl over CD (or modern digital download, e.g. iTunes), assuming there are any.

• Like 6